It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shirley Sherrod: edited by the NAACP? or camera man changing tapes?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
The NAACP claims the conservatives edited the Shirley Sherrod video, and so they place a "full" video for everyone to see for themselves. But, their own video was edited:

go to 20:59

you can watch it from the NAACP's own website

www.naacp.org...

The video of Shirley Sherrod released by Andrew Brietbart's Big Government Blog on July 19 didn't tell the full story. It was selectively edited to cast her in a negative light. Here is the video, shot by the local NAACP unit that hosted Ms. Sherrod. Watch the video, and judge for yourself.

-NAACP

So, watch the video, and see that the NAACP edits to put her in a positive light.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by filosophia]

[edit on 25-7-2010 by filosophia]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
okay so I could care less if her comments were racist or not, I don't pick sides like that, but if the democrats are going to blame the republicans for editing the video, it might as well be pointed out that the NAACP edited the video as well. i don't care about whether or not she's a racist.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:53 AM
link   
One of the copies of this speech on YouTube, posted July 20, 2010, has this disclaimer on it.

"This video was broadcast in March 2010 on DCTV in DeKalb county, Georgia. The speech has not been edited. There is a cut around 21:00 where the filmmaker changed tapes."

When I watched this copy, it looked to me like DCTV might have edited this version when they showed it, but the disclaimer makes sense too

If this accusation is still being made despite this, there are a lot more questions that need to be answered before we can reach any conclusions....

How do you know the NAACP edited the video? Where did the unedited version come from? Who exactly did it? When did they do it? And what was the point in the timeline that the NAACP released their initial statement condemning Sherrod in relation to when they had the unedited (or this edited) version of the video?

Also, has anyone talked to the videographer? Or the TV station?

[Edit to say, it's this very copy of the video...peace.]

[edit on 7/25/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
One of the copies of this speech on YouTube, posted July 20, 2010, has this disclaimer on it.

"This video was broadcast in March 2010 on DCTV in DeKalb county, Georgia. The speech has not been edited. There is a cut around 21:00 where the filmmaker changed tapes."

When I watched this copy, it looked to me like DCTV might have edited this version when they showed it, but the disclaimer makes sense too

If this accusation is still being made despite this, there are a lot more questions that need to be answered before we can reach any conclusions....

How do you know the NAACP edited the video? Where did the unedited version come from? Who exactly did it? When did they do it? And what was the point in the timeline that the NAACP released their initial statement condemning Sherrod in relation to when they had the unedited (or this edited) version of the video?

Also, has anyone talked to the videographer? Or the TV station?

[Edit to say, it's this very copy of the video...peace.]

so their explanation is that the camera man was switching tapes? I guess that's plausible, but it sure looks like an edit to me. Either way the camera man missed something then.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Switching tapes?

Do they still make camera's that use tape?
How do we know this camera was not 100% digital?
Don't videos leave a camera "fingerprint"?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by filosophia

Maybe so, but I tried and couldn't imagine what she could possibly have said during this switch or whatever that could be so damning or so horrible that it could negate what came before or after it. Death to whitey?
Now if this had happened multiple times, I'd be more suspicious.

reply to post by Alxandro

Looks old-ish to me, judging by the clothes and such.

Videographers back in the day either switched tapes or cameras...same diff...just depended on whether they actually had two cameras. I don't know if anyone still uses tape. Wonder if he worked for the TV station and we could find out?

But speaking of dates, I was annoyed that the date was cut off...I've been wondering what year this speech was given for a while now but have been too lazy to really dig for it. Anyone know offhand?

It appears the speech was in March of THIS year? Is that right??? Even Time says so. I'm going to keep digging about the date and who filmed it.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Here's a really interesting investigative story (with links to other stories and sites) discussing this tape and the motivations and sequences of events if you're interested. (Link) It's a lot of reading and tracing back and forth and talks about the DCTV station that filmed this speech and what happened from there. There are more questions than answers, but that's now it goes.

Apparently, on or about July 20, 2010, the owner of the video company that filmed the speech, whose name is Johnny Wilkerson, said he sent sent the full video to the national NAACP and that he was going to post it in full once he got permission from them. This might imply that technically, they owned the rights to it, as they paid him to film it?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity

Maybe so, but I tried and couldn't imagine what she could possibly have said during this switch or whatever that could be so damning or so horrible that it could negate what came before or after it. Death to whitey?
Now if this had happened multiple times, I'd be more suspicious.

reply to post by Alxandro

Looks old-ish to me, judging by the clothes and such.

Videographers back in the day either switched tapes or cameras...same diff...just depended on whether they actually had two cameras. I don't know if anyone still uses tape. Wonder if he worked for the TV station and we could find out?

But speaking of dates, I was annoyed that the date was cut off...I've been wondering what year this speech was given for a while now but have been too lazy to really dig for it. Anyone know offhand?

It appears the speech was in March of THIS year? Is that right??? Even Time says so. I'm going to keep digging about the date and who filmed it.

I was under the impression this speech was given this year. It is on the front page of the NAACP, and the video says 20th annual banquet, but yeah, I was also annoyed the date wasn't on there and I'm still wondering about that.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
after reviewing the video, I have concluded this is definitely an edit. She is talking about sending a white farmer to a white lawyer, and the lawyer was really a bad lawyer, so then she says she sends the farmer to a black lawyer, and the tape cuts off. The video cuts off in the middle of her story, so this is not the full speech. I'm not saying she said something bad during this, how could I know? But something was edited out of the story.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Call the videographer and ask.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:38 PM
link   

How do you account for the White farmer in her story saying that she DID help him save his farm?

Shirley Sherrod Helped Keep Us Out of Bankruptcy, Farmer's Wife Says

The incident in question, however, took place two decades ago, and the wife of the farmer in question told told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Sherrod "kept us out of bankruptcy."

"Her husband told her, 'You're spending more time with the Spooners than you are with me,' " Eloise Spooner, the wife of the farmer, told the AJC. "She took probably two or three trips with us to Albany just to help us out."
CBS.com

I mean, you think we can really get the full story from a 2 or 3 minute edited video or is this another hatchet job like the one done to ACORN after we got to see the full videos from that "sting" too?

Just curious.

- Lee

top topics

join