It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bibles could be removed from hospital bedsides in Nottingham

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
I'm pretty sure they pay for them to be there. It's not free.

Actually, I'm pretty sure it is free. I mean, the Gideons pay for the Bibles to be printed, obviously, but then they distribute them to places like hotel rooms and hospitals for free.

I wonder if people would be equally tolerant if an Islamic nonprofit group decided to put copies of the Koran in every hospital room?

Personally, I'm with those who think they should be taken out. Patients can always request reading material, including bibles, if they want them. No need for an extra, unsterilizable object lying around.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
If people really want to read religious text during their hospital stays, they should bring their own books and take them home with them when they leave. There's no rational point in books like the Bible being stored in hospitals in the first place. Some of those Bibles are tiny. The patient could just sling it in beside their toothbrush or something.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by americandingbat

Of course there would be outcry. It's called being afraid of differences. They still payed for it to be placed there by printing it. And I'm not sure exactly how they could do it without charge, seeing as public places want money. And if it is free, oh well. There is still an active agreement between an owner and supplier for what they want. I'm sure if a Muslim running the hospital wanted it he could get it. Obviously there would be upheaval. But I happen to be secure enough in my faith that it would not matter.

To feel fear or anger of having the Bible and Koran put in the same shelf is to secretly admit you are afraid their faith is better than yours. Which is then not faith. It is doubt.

I feel no such doubt. Let them be placed together.

<< 1  2   >>

join