It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time travel theory avoids grandfather paradox

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by pr3l33t

Ahhhhh, ok. Gotcha.
Sorry bout that.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Maybe if you tunneled back, you could never really ever come OUT of the tunnel, so while you'd be visiting the past, you'd be somewhat separated from it...or separated just enough.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by hadriana

Here's the problem with your hypothesis: you're taking a word (tunneling) which has been used in a semi-scientific context to describe time travel and then applying it in a pseudoscientific way. Although your hypothesis could hypothetically be true, the only way to evaluate it is through actual science and not merely conjecture grounded in wordplay.

posted on Aug, 15 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

All comes from “Static” Libraries.

Stories (Programs) are compiled and presented in a “Dynamic” format in other words what gives the illusion of “Time” is the “Sequential” nature of the experience.

It’s a bit like a DVD (Video Game Program) where all is contained (The "Start", the "End" and "In-between") in a "Static" format.
It is only when the disc is put into a "player" and enabled, the process then presents the data in a “Sequential” fashion.

Yet the Beginning, End and In-between, all exist at the same time.

But unlike in a fixed movie ,the Programs contain “Choices” within controlled boundaries…

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by pr3l33t

Well...no.... I was actually thinking in terms of mathematical function, like wave coupling. Like a near field.

I don't believe in time anyway. Only space and distance. Bleh. Whadda I know anyway? I'm just a witch.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Perhaps going back in time is not really going back in time but bringing the past into the current time. Therefore, one could kill his grandfather and the universe will go on, with another outcome.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

Are we tunneling into and out of the possibility field. How can we travel in and out of time without first traveling in and out of the possbility index to choose which time we are going to travel in and out of. It wouldn't matter if you changed something because you would only be changing it's possibility within your own paradigm. So you aren't changing anything just expressing a different possibility which is already being expressed in another paradigm of possibility anyway.

posted on Aug, 16 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Here's one interesting idea I read about on this subject...

If you exist now, in the present and in the immediate future, then that present and future is absolute and cannot be changed. Therefore, even if history records that you DID travel back to the past to attempt to kill your own grandfather, then SOMETHING must have happened to prevent this (i.e., you missed, the gun jammed, he survived his wounds, etc.).

This meeting of you and your grandfather is something that has definitely happened in this absolute timeline. The fact that you exist in the future means that you failed kill him in the past, even though you tried. And no matter how hard you try, you cannot succeed because -- simply -- you exist in the future.

[edit on 8/16/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:54 AM
link   
when will people realize time isnt something you can play with? if you went back in time and killed your grandfather, he would die, you would never be born, gramps would be born again and becouse time is in flux, you may or may not be born again (same with grampa) thus protecting time. flux is a natural defence, protecting against people with their blue boxes (anyone WHO gets that, high five! just becouse you were born to mommy doesnt mean you will be born to her again in a different time strain.

[edit on 22-8-2010 by area51vampire]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by area51vampire

Time does Not involve a Single thread...

We in fact cross many threads (in a personal function without being aware) which give us prewritten choices...

[edit on 22-8-2010 by The Matrix Traveller]

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by The Matrix Traveller

the choice we decide decides the future. if there were a alternate timeline for every choice we make, thats billions in a persons lifetime, in the infinite number of lifeforms out there. time is like space, it simply cant fit those choices, a whole universe created everytime anything makes a choice? time would have a choise... rip, causing all of the , to put it lightly, "Time Guts" would spill out and really ruin your shirt. oh, and rewrite all of history and time, the laws of physics would change, we would then all blow up and never have existed (takes a breath)

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikestaff
The way I see it, if you could go back in time, say to 1173, the future would not exist, would it? so you could not get back to your 'own time', so its one way, backwards,
As for shooting your granddad, simple, shoot your granddad after he sired your father/mother, also, it would be in your family history that your grandfather got shot, would it not?

strange how the obvious gets ignored.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by area51vampire

But what is Time???

The Human Species has Created this measurement...

Time according to the Human Species is a measurement of "the Rate of Change"...

This only exists in your "Sequential Experience" and only exists in the Program of this little Universe....

It is never tomorrow or yesterday....

The so called "Past" and "Future" exists in the "Present"... Hence the spelling of the word "Present", meaning both the "Now" and the "Gift".

I guess the "Now" is the "Gift" or "Present"... LOL.

Its a bit like a Gaming "Program" stored on a DVD... where the beginning, in-between and end, exist in a static format, but when enabled in a processing system appears to be dynamic.

So it is with your experience it too exists in 2 States...

1/. "Static".
2/. "Dynamic".

You can only choose from the "Options" which have been prewritten within the boundaries of the Program you are experiencing...

If an option has Not been prewritten into your particular program, you are powerless to experience such an option.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 12:51 PM
link   
How do we express choice in a prewritten program? I don't understand why we so easily subscribe to time being illusion. Yes, time is a scaled model applied to our scaled universe. What about positive, and negative time? Rather then considering weather or not i am existing within a specific measurement of time, why wouldn't i consider weather or not i exist within positive or negative time? Is time an illusion if it is not applied to a scaled model, but rather a model of, i don't know how to say it, mybe applied to the way you exist within it, it being time.

posted on Aug, 22 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana
Maybe if you tunneled back, you could never really ever come OUT of the tunnel, so while you'd be visiting the past, you'd be somewhat separated from it...or separated just enough.

I wonder if you know how true that is...

posted on Aug, 23 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Time is just a scale of your perceivable experience. If time is an illusion what do you have outside of it? or better yet what is it instead of time? You can't just not have time without having something to further explain whats happening.

Is the universe time? You are trying to exist outside of the universe?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join