It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you an Atheist? I bet you still don't have the guts!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jean Paul Zodeaux

We are all splinters of the same God, and it matters not if you want to be angry with God, or disbelief in God because God has never shown you the courtesy of proving to you his existence. God can handle your anger, or disbelief. What matters is not that you believe in the mystical, what matters is that you believe in you.

Thank you for putting this in words in a way which I have been unable to.

With the exception that the Creator shows his existence to me everyday in the beauty that surrounds me. (as well as the horrors that I see)

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Is this what all your threads about? Religion? It's clear now that you atheist are merely agenda driven

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alien Mind
Is this what all your threads about? Religion? It's clear now that you atheist are merely agenda driven

Is that so?

Then what's the agenda? World domination?

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
If this lends support to an easy, open atheist 'community'(?) then it is a good thing.

If it is used to attack people, who based on their actual life experience have differing views [& they aren't railroading me or mine] that is not too good.

If it encourages, shy, closeted atheists or doubters to feel more at ease i think that is good.

I don't want to be the enemy of religion. I just want to hear/listen-to all reasonable points of view.

Atheism should be the ultimate pinnacle of sublime calm & peace.
It might be a refuge from religion, but should avoid being an unnecessary inflamer of religion.

Just because atheism makes sense [to me] does not preclude that other avenues don't make sense to others.

Since i don't post to youtube, in lieu of that,

God & Satan are both cheesy, lowlife scumballs that deserve to barbecue in the very hells they are proffered as having created, forever.

I really do dislike arbitrary, baseless authorities.
As for egos, personalities, people, i generally wish them no harm, unless they have done egregious, imo unforgivable things, or perhaps for prurient reasons with willing subjects.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by PieKeeper

Is that so?

You tell me.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Alien Mind

Ahh yes we atheists want to take over the world and make you all mindless drones. Long live science!!!!

Doesn't the catholic church do something similar? But rather its called blind faith... You have your faith atheists have theirs. They don't have more of an agenda than the church does.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Ok, so I came to the site for a completely different reason and found this thread instead. I haven't bothered to read anyone post aside from the first one. But I have happily declared my atheism on many occasions. I don't know what guts has to do with it. I have a small collection of "atheist tees" I wear frequently, I'm a professional artist and my work often reflects those views.

What's the big deal? I don't believe in God. was that hard to say? Not in the least.

Cheers to all of you.

~I'm just sayin'

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by PieKeeper

Is that so?

You tell me.

With most atheists, it is the same as Christians or any other "Velvet Rope Club". They have the secret knowledge, and they feel smug in their belief of this. The cretins who would believe in a "god" are only mindless fools.

Of course, this could be juxtaposed with the Christian view that the heathens will burn in hell for daring to question Christs divinity.

The point is, popular atheism is no more "disbelief" than Islam is. It is an active belief in disbelief. It no longer seeks to answer questions (as a philosopher), but rather is comfortable in knowing it has the answers (the sage).

Whether it be true or not.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
ok, so I just reread the original post. as for unforgivable sins. Well, if you don't believe in god there's not such thing as sin so nothing to lose. No one believes in Thor, Wotan, Odin or Zeus anymore either. Some of us just take it one god further.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Why would an Atheist even consider Sin or Blasphemy.

I see no challenge.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
How silly is this?

I'm neither atheist, nor am I a God bother-er in the classic sense of the term...

IMNSHO, God doesn't really care if you believe or not... So carry on, or not...the Universe will remain much the same regardless.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
Why would an Atheist even consider Sin or Blasphemy.

I see no challenge.

There you have it. I have spent a few hundred words on this, and just could not reach the simple eloquence of what Annee has said.

I defer to her post.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Atheism is just a word, it's not a religion or a belief. That is what religious people just dont get. I just try to be a good, caring person who does right by others. I don't need a religion to do that. I do it because I want to, as do all of the other non-religious people I know.

Why would athiests be worried about some sin that is supposed to send people to hell when we are not religious? Sin, hell...it's not part of my world. There are good and bad deeds but bad people have live with the consequences of their actions if they are caught here and now. I don't need to declare anything to anyone because I'm not afraid of anything.

It's just silly. I often tell people I am not religious in any way, shape or form. What's the big deal? I am a good person first and foremost and that is all that matters.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
But atheism as a fad has created plenty of young people who choose atheism simply as an outward statement of nonconformity.

I'd say that sums up a great deal of the atheism posts I've read on this website.

It's gotten fashionable to hate religion lately. I'm not saying a lack of belief or simple disbelief. I'm saying an agressive sort of hatred that is well beyond a sensible sort of reason.

More and more people really seem to need someone to hate nowdays. It has become the yardstick by which popular culture defines it's self

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I don't hate anyone. How can the way I live my life be a fad? It's how I have lived my life for 41 years...I just try to be a good person everyday because I want to be. Why are people so afraid of there not being an entity? I don't have any of that kind of fear. We live, we die one day and we do the best we can for ourselves and those around us while we are here.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by swinggal
I don't hate anyone. How can the way I live my life be a fad? It's how I have lived my life for 41 years

Read the last post carefully

Edited for clarity

[edit on 26-7-2010 by badgerprints]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I find it Ironic that Atheists talk more about Christianity than Christians do lol.

Atheism may not be a religion by definition but atheists are just as focused on hating Christianity as the Christians are on loving it, so their close enough to be considered a religion to me.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

I'm quite sure I am part of your reference to young people joining Militant Atheism as a fad.

Let me first state that this is not a fad, I have no one that argues religion with me so it's not any sort of rebellion. The reason I feel so strongly against religion is because of the scientific and social advancements that are being held back due to religion.

They don't want public funding of stem cell research which would save lives and cure ailments, they don't want equal rights for people whom they deem unworthy of those rights due to religion, they continue to push their religious doctrine upon us in a supposedly secular government, and they are holding back numerous other scientific advancements because it would "go against god's intent."

If hoping for progress, equality and scientific enquiry is a fad I guess I am guilty.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir
reply to post by badgerprints

I'm quite sure I am part of your reference to young people joining Militant Atheism as a fad.

Let me first state that this is not a fad, I have no one that argues religion with me so it's not any sort of rebellion. The reason I feel so strongly against religion is because of the scientific and social advancements that are being held back due to religion.

They don't want public funding of stem cell research which would save lives and cure ailments, they don't want equal rights for people whom they deem unworthy of those rights due to religion, they continue to push their religious doctrine upon us in a supposedly secular government, and they are holding back numerous other scientific advancements because it would "go against god's intent."

If hoping for progress, equality and scientific enquiry is a fad I guess I am guilty.

No, but that does seem to be an approach of throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

If your only gripe about spirituality is that religions tend to hold back man, then your complaint deals with the superficial aspects only.

It is not a proclaimation of being Atheist. It is a condemnation of a result of certain religions. That isn't atheism. That is "disestablishmentarianism". And it is not wrong to have that belief (nor would it be wrong to be Atheist....as long as you have thought it through very well and are open to change upon further knowledge or information).

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthWizard
I find it Ironic that Atheists talk more about Christianity than Christians do lol.

Atheism may not be a religion by definition but atheists are just as focused on hating Christianity as the Christians are on loving it, so their close enough to be considered a religion to me.

Exactly how I feel about it. Of course not all Atheists are like this, but most that I've encountered are, especially online.
I think the term you're looking for is "fanaticism".

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join