It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you an Atheist? I bet you still don't have the guts!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Sorry mods if this is in the wrong place, please move if necessary.

The Blasphemy Challenge

The Blasphemy Challenge, started in December 2006, is an Internet-based project which aims to get atheists to come out and declare themselves as atheists. The challenge asks atheists to submit videos to the website YouTube, in which they record themselves blaspheming or denying the existence of the Holy Spirit. According to the RRS' interpretation of several passages of the Bible (specifically, Mark 3:28-29 and Matthew 12:30-32), this action is considered an unforgivable sin. Thus, users who took the challenge saw themselves as crossing a point of no return to prove that they truly did not believe in the biblical God and would "accept the consequences" if after their death they find that the Christian form of the Abrahamic God does exist. The first 1,001 users who took the challenge received a DVD of Flemming's documentary film The God Who Wasn't There. Magician Penn Jillette, author Christopher Hitchens, philosopher Daniel Dennett, and Raëlism founder Raël participated in the project. It was also the first video of comedian and Internet personality Pat Condell.

en.wikipedia.org...

I am quite sure none of you have participated in this challenge as I have not either, I was truly considering it though.

This challenge has been done by thousands of people so far and by some notable Atheists as seen above.

What do you think of this? Do you think there is such a thing as an unforgiveable sin? Do you think this 'Blasphemy Challenge' is stupid? Just, what do you think about this?

Official Blasphemy Challenge Website

[edit on 7/25/2010 by Misoir]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   
There is an unforgivable way of sinning... Judas Iskariot, the one betraying Jesus, is the only known person to have sinned against the holy spirit.

I find it odd that you should mention the possibility of atheists being wrong and consequencially not being able to go back. If this is truly the case then why wouldn't you prevent the possiblity of being wrong and take the safest bet? you'd be out of luck anyway when gods appointed time arives (Harmageddon).

Kind of an eye-opener to read an atheist write something like that. would that mean you are not a devout atheist?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
why would I need to record a video to declare myself an atheist? I do this on a regular basis anyway and if God exists in the way some believe he does n`t need to look me up on youtube.

I`ll do it again here, God does not exist, never has never will do, he is a construction of people who wish to hold power over people and probably responsible for more pain, death and life long anguish than anything else. He is a myth that the human race needs to shed if it is to progress to its true potential.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by faceoff85

You're right, I don't believe that jibberish so why should I even give it a consideration at all?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:11 AM
link   
reply to post by cassini

No one said you had to. But it is just a public denouncing of the holy spirit, that just proves to other people that you are a strong Atheist.

Just because you don't want to broadcast it doesn't mean you aren't a strong Atheist. You obviously don't believe that rubbish, but people who would like it known publicly do this.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I don't think these "sins" will be any sort of issue with a higher power at all. Really, why the hell do these self-styles "atheists" have to prove? Why do they go out of their way to do silly rituals that are at least as ridiculous as any religious nonsense, also displaying a fundamental ignorance of the purpose of ritual in the process.

Hmmm...this is complex to explain. To put it simply, they're doing antitheological magic to manifest certain results using their wills, sort of in the same way occultists would. It's very bizarre. The thing is, this sort of activity seems to betray deep-seated insecurities about the validity of their own beliefs.

I'll hone in on what's really going on here sooner or later.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

My good little brother Misoir, forgive my presumptuous, but I must begin this post by first saying how deeply sorry I am for the loss of your Grandmother. I know she meant a lot to you, and I can only imagine the pain you must be feeling right now. My presumption of your anger is based in seeing two threads started by you today, both of which seem to have a sort of anger towards religion, or more specifically the Christian religion.

The act of blasphemy has been interpreted to mean many things. Consider this definition of the word:

n. pl. blas·phe·mies

1. a. A contemptuous or profane act, utterance, or writing concerning God or a sacred entity. b. The act of claiming for oneself the attributes and rights of God.

2. An irreverent or impious act, attitude, or utterance in regard to something considered inviolable or sacrosanct.

Take note of the b.) of the first definition. I point to this interpretation of blasphemy because it is indeed an interpretation often times given, not just by Christians, but by Muslims, and Jews as well. Jesus was executed essentially for blasphemy, or at least that is what the New Testament, post Nicene Council, would have us believe. Frankly, I think Jesus was executed because he was a huge threat to both the Romans and the Sanhedrin, but I point to this, because I do not believe that claiming for oneself the attributes and rights of God is blasphemous. On the contrary, what I believe is that each and everyone of us is God.

It is in Exodus 3:14, when Moses asks God for his name, that God answers I am that I am. What a strange answer to give, and what a stranger name to claim for oneself, even if it is God who is claiming this name. Surely it means more than just some cryptic answer. God has given a direct answer to Moses in terms of what he expects to be called, and that is I Am. Say that out loud Misoir, say aloud I Am! Whether you believe in God or not, say aloud I Am! Is this blasphemy?

Are you not who you are? What in God's name would be so wrong with saying aloud, I Am that I Am? Every time you say I Am, you are calling out God's name, and while doing so re-affirming your own worth. You are, I Am, they are, we all are! We are all splinters of the same God, and it matters not if you want to be angry with God, or disbelief in God because God has never shown you the courtesy of proving to you his existence. God can handle your anger, or disbelief. What matters is not that you believe in the mystical, what matters is that you believe in you.

It matters not if you have prayed for specific things only to find that what you prayed for never came to be, sometimes when you ask of God, the answer is no.

What truly matters is that you come to recognize the miracle that is you. Once you understand the miracle that is you, you will find it easier to recognize the miracle that is others. If I Am, and You Are, and We all Are, then it is not blasphemy to recognize that we are all God, and such an understanding can only guide us towards a more peaceful reality. We are all God, and because we are all God, none of us are wrong. We are all right, and as long as we do what we can to keep love in our hearts, then we will all be all right.

Just a few thought on the matter...

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

To prove ones belief in a certain ideology should not mean you have to insult, belittle or berate others beliefs.

This is really sad and is more of a reflection on these people, as disturbed individuals, than it is on atheism as a whole.

I am sure you will get some equally idiotic people, that claim to be Christians, who will respond to this in a similar manner... Very childish...

What they are doing is simply offensive and rude... something my parents taught me was wrong a long time ago...

My message to these spoilt children.... "Grow UP"

Peace

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

You're right, I don't believe that jibberish so why should I even give it a consideration at all?

If you've got cancer and there are 2 doctors out there, 1 promising you'll die soon and 1 promising you'll live... wich doctor are you gonna give a try? Remember you are already terminally ill... Now there are actually people who willingly chose not to be hassled and die on their apointed time (atheists) but people not ready to die can try their luck with the doctor promising to cure them... can you really blame them for trying?

[edit on 25/7/2010 by faceoff85]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

So these non-atheists are pushing people to commit, what are unforgivable sins, in their book?

They believe in god, yet play like the devil.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Point of No Return
reply to post by Misoir

...what are unforgivable sins, in their book?

MY best guess would be to have any sort of spiritual life and awareness and not to be crass and disrespectful.

Thought we shant lump together all atheists as extremists. Some are just normal people like you and I, trying to live their lives in peace.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
This is typical of the jesus brigade trying to indoctrinate the world into their flawed way of thinking. Let me tell you all something, Jesus does not exist, god as an old man with white hair and a beard is nothing more than a product of man's anthropomorphic tendencies. The Christians are FOOLS!
Anything coming from any organised religion is FAUX spirituality with a price tag attached. The god depicted in all major religions is a LIE! its nothing more than a corporate logo just like "Ronald Mcdonald". The bible was invented to de-rail, gain money from and control the weak-minded in this world.

The REAL truth is GOD is in us all and WE are God, its all about the PERFECT CIRCLE and finding a path back to what we truly are. My advice is to meditate regularly, enjoy this experience and be a good person, its as simple as that. Now I'm off before a bunch of fools write a book about me that tells you that God is outside yourself....

Peace and Love to all of you...........

[edit on 25-7-2010 by strangleholder1]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Actually that has nothing to do with it.

I was Agnostic at that time hence I asked for prayers. I still considered god a possibility, but not now. And it is not because the prayers were not answered, I'm not angry at 'god' for anything. She passed away because she was ill and there were numerous medical errors, that was just human errors and viruses that caused her to pass.

But she will live on because she had 5 children and 6 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren, her genes will continue. She gave us the ability to be born and I thank her for that, her job on this earth was accomplished and she has now left us.

I don't believe in god due to rational argument, scientific understanding and lack of any proof at all. I don't believe in a life force or spirits either.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I'm an atheist and I would gladly deny belief in Yahweh, Yeshua and the Holy Ghost. But while I would deny belief in them I would also say that there is always a slight chance they really do exist. My stance is called agnostic-atheism. It is a lack of belief in gods but not a statement that there absolutely are no Gods, merely that I do not believe in them.

I wouldn't have any issue making a video claiming the Holy Spirit is imaginary (except that I don't have a camera of any kind to do so). The doctrine of the trinity wasn't adopted officially until LONG after Jesus's death and many Christian sects rejected it. Besides in order to truly commit blasphemy doesn't one need to know the name of the being you are being irreverent toward? Holy Spirit is a descriptor, not a name. And if God really is 3-in-1 why would blasphemy against one third of him be considered worse than blasphemy against the other third?

The God of the Bible is one of the most blatantly evil characters in literary history, as if the idea of an infinite hell for finite sins were not unjust enough they attempt to throw an unforgivable sin into the mix

[edit on 25-7-2010 by Titen-Sxull]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

I think you misunderstood myt comment.

These people are challenging other people to commit something they view as an unforgivable sin.

So why would you lure people into committing sins, if you are a devout believer yourself.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I, Branden ________, knowing that by saying these following words will never be forgiven for my 'sins'. I openly and happily denounce and detest of the mythical being known as God, Allah and Yahweh. I also openly denounce Jesus of Nazareth, Abraham and Muhammad. And last but certainly not least, I denounce the Holy Spirit. I shall never be enslaved to the anti-intellectual thoughts, practices and materials that serve anything to do with God the Father, God the Son or God the Holy Spirit.

[edit on 7/25/2010 by Misoir]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Point of No Return

I think you misunderstood myt comment.

These people are challenging other people to commit something they view as an unforgivable sin.

So why would you lure people into committing sins, if you are a devout believer yourself.

I think I parse that correctly. There should be no such concept if one truely doesn't believe in it. The trick is they'll not forgive themselves if unconsciously they have doubt and will carry the guilt with them throughout their lives, despite the conspicuous display. Is this some form of extreme thrill seeking? I guess sky diving had its day.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Haha. Well, I suppose I've taken that same oath in my own way, on the profane level of interpretation.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   

I still fail to see the relation to what I posted.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   

My understanding is that there is another story that says Judas was Jesus his most extreme follower and that he was willing to take on arms to fight for his ( and Jesus ) side.

Where he was asked to make the biggest offer he could give. Betraying the one he was devoted to and willing to die for.

Reply to Post by Missoir

I really don't understand why any atheist would go as far as to commit them self to a system they walked away from or did not even see as a reliable one in the first pllace.

Where the most important reason to take a stand as atheists was to make others understand that religious extremism can only end bad for anyone in the long run.

I could be wrong of course.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join