It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity, Control, and Fear

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 02:46 AM
link   
To be a follower of Christianity and get to heaven you must...

*Believe.
*Be controlled.
*Be afraid.

Some things that are true, according to the bible...

*Humanity has been punished for something two people did in the beginning, which is why there's evil and suffering.
*In the end, there will be no evil and suffering, meaning that God could get rid of it at any time but chooses not to.
*God sent down his son to die so that we could be forgiven for how God created us.

We are being punished for the way God made us. We are being punished for something God knew was going to happen beforehand. God punished humanity and sent down Jesus to be beaten and nailed to a cross to die for the imperfections god created us with so that we can be forgiven for the imperfections God created us with.

According to the bible, God allows evil and suffering to exist. The bible says that God is going to end evil and suffering. Why doesn't God do it now? Why would a loving God allow that to exist to begin with?

I want to know what people think about their God watching innocent children starve or being beaten, tortured, raped, stabbed, brutally murdered, etc. and not doing anything to stop or prevent it. Is it all because of some free will test? If so, why would a God that already knows everything need to test people?

All of the suffering and all of the people who will be burned in hell forever for not believing, or perhaps for being born into a different religion, God would've foreseen and could've prevented all of it from happening.

Christianity and its God is man-made, and it's obvious to me. Look at how God is described in the bible. He's very human-like. He's jealous. He kills. He wants your money. He makes mistakes. He hates things that he created. He demands to be worshiped or else. He's egotistical and bad tempered. It's not surprising that we would create a God that is more like ourselves. We are very egotistical and it's our main weakness.

I think that the devil was added to the story for marketing reasons. If there's no boogeyman, no one will be afraid to disbelieve the story. The Jesus story is the kind of story that's been told for thousands of years by different religions, before Christianity existed.

I think one reason why people want there to be a God is because it gives them comfort in thinking that they have some control over life and death.

The bible is self contradicting and full of holes. Most Christians can't even agree on how to interpret it. People tend to interpret it based on their own desires.

Christians have always used scare tactics to try to convert people and keep them hooked. The authors and followers of the bible have used fear to control people and the sad thing is that people are still being controlled by it to this very day. Christians are also taught not to question their religion.

Are you afraid of death, the devil, demons, angering God, going to hell, God not existing, or being wrong? If your answer is yes to any or all of those, then it'd be wise to question whether or not any of those fears could explain why you and millions of other people want to continue to blindly believe.

I believe that the fear of death is naturally seen as a threat to our survival. I believe that the desire for a God is a survival tool we possess that was developed to help with our fear of death.

The bible teaches you to rely on something else instead of yourself. I think it gives false hope and teaches people to be weak. Fear is the main tool used in the bible to control people, and it works well. It does teach some good morals but we don't need the bible in order to be good.

I believe that all of the gods that have been created by humanity cancel each other out, leaving us with reality.

When it comes to religion, I think that the bad outweighs the good.

I refuse to be controlled by other people's beliefs. I certainly am never going to pretend that I know the truth.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Naughty B0B

I refuse to be controlled by other people's beliefs.

I think the proper use of good religion should be helpful in maintaining that goal, by such thoughts as; What God thinks about me is more important than this one particular person who circumstances has put me in the vicinity of, who has a desire to rule over me.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
faith, dear christians. There is only the matter of faith. Never questioned or unbelieved. To be true to the Greatest, lack of dignity will not prevail. Questioned is the unmarked of the Beast. Reckless his trust, insecure./ Control Propagandamachine exorcist belief.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:17 PM
link   
OH how i shall pick this post apart let me count the ways.

right now im babysitting ill post later about it, but this is one of the most RIDICULOUS ops ive ever read.

no understanding like the prophets said of the ent tmes. its like they pinpointed the exact feel of this rebellious age.

peace.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Didn't you already make this thread before? I know it was not original then it certianly is not now.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Part 1 of 3

Originally posted by Naughty B0B
To be a follower of Christianity and get to heaven you must...
*Believe.

That is correct.

*Be controlled.
*Be afraid.

That is incorrect. Why? Because God doesn't want robots plus He doesn't have a big night stick waiting to beat you.

Some things that are true, according to the bible...

*Humanity has been punished for something two people did in the beginning, which is why there's evil and suffering.
*In the end, there will be no evil and suffering, meaning that God could get rid of it at any time but chooses not to.
*God sent down his son to die so that we could be forgiven for how God created us.

That is correct almost. It was when Adam ate of the fruit that sin had entered into the world. Nothing happened when Eve did it.

We are being punished for the way God made us. We are being punished for something God knew was going to happen beforehand. God punished humanity and sent down Jesus to be beaten and nailed to a cross to die for the imperfections god created us with so that we can be forgiven for the imperfections God created us with.

God initially never made us with imperfections. It was Adam's choice to choose poorly. After that we carry sin in our lives and it goes down the line until we accept Christ as our Savior. Sure, God did know what was going to happen but we didn't.

According to the bible, God allows evil and suffering to exist. The bible says that God is going to end evil and suffering. Why doesn't God do it now? Why would a loving God allow that to exist to begin with?

Don't forget the devil is the god (little g) of this world who steals, kills and destroys and people listen to him. God wants more people saved that's why He hasn't came back yet.
God wanted companionship and that's why He created man. He didn't want robot companionship but He wanted His creation to have love Him willingly and freely.

I want to know what people think about their God watching innocent children starve or being beaten, tortured, raped, stabbed, brutally murdered, etc. and not doing anything to stop or prevent it. Is it all because of some free will test? If so, why would a God that already knows everything need to test people?

Remember, the devil is the god (little g) of this world. God doesn't need to know what people are doing through a test. It's the people who need to know.

All of the suffering and all of the people who will be burned in hell forever for not believing, or perhaps for being born into a different religion, God would've foreseen and could've prevented all of it from happening.

Remember, the devil is the god (little g) of this world. God doesn't need to know what people are doing through a test. It's the people who need to know.

Christianity and its God is man-made, and it's obvious to me.

That's not true. The majority of scholars from the left, middle and right believe that Jesus rose from the dead.

Look at how God is described in the bible. He's very human-like.

That is why He can help us through our troubles because He became a man.

He's jealous.

I'd call that good jealous love.

He kills.

People kill themselves through their decisions. Not God.

He wants your money.

That was only for tithing for the Jews. God doesn't require money anymore of people.

He makes mistakes. He hates things that he created. He demands to be worshiped or else.

God never makes a mistake. He's the potter, we are the clay. God doesn't hate His creation. He hates the bad choice the WE make. God doesn't demand worship. See John 3:16 about "whosoever believes".

He's egotistical and bad tempered. It's not surprising that we would create a God that is more like ourselves. We are very egotistical and it's our main weakness.

If God was egotistical, then He wouldn't have came to earth to help us out. He wouldn't have been born in a manger. He wouldn't have died on a cross.
Actually God is good tempered because He sent His Son.

I think that the devil was added to the story for marketing reasons.

You can talk to satanist, spiritualist, voodoo people and witches and they'll tell you that the devil is real.

If there's no boogeyman, no one will be afraid to disbelieve the story.

The story is not about the boogeyman. It's about us being sinners and Christ
redeeming us from our sins.

The Jesus story is the kind of story that's been told for thousands of years by different religions, before Christianity existed.

There is no historical evidence for that.

I think one reason why people want there to be a God is because it gives them comfort in thinking that they have some control over life and death.

That is just the opposite. We have God because we can't control our lives.

[edit on 7/26/2010 by texastig]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Part 2 of 3

The bible is self contradicting and full of holes. Most Christians can't even agree on how to interpret it. People tend to interpret it based on their own desires.

There is no contradictions or holes. It is our lack of understand. Christians believe in the basic doctrines of the Bible. The other stuff isn't salvation issues.

Christians have always used scare tactics to try to convert people and keep them hooked. The authors and followers of the bible have used fear to control people and the sad thing is that people are still being controlled by it to this very day. Christians are also taught not to question their religion.

It was Jesus Himself that told us to go and give out the good news that our sins can be forgiven. That's not a scare tactic, that's a good thing.
Christians aren't taught not to question their religion. The Bible states that we should study the Bible to see if these things be so.

Are you afraid of death, the devil, demons, angering God, going to hell, God not existing, or being wrong? If your answer is yes to any or all of those, then it'd be wise to question whether or not any of those fears could explain why you and millions of other people want to continue to blindly believe.

I'm not afraid of any of that stuff because Jesus conquered death. You can read about what the devil does in this true and scientific book which is online here:
hbcdelivers.s439.sureserver.com...
It's a very true and sobering story.

I believe that the fear of death is naturally seen as a threat to our survival. I believe that the desire for a God is a survival tool we possess that was developed to help with our fear of death.

Death is a part of life. If we follow Christ there is no reason to fear it. Death came by sin and Jesus came and defeated sin for us.

The bible teaches you to rely on something else instead of yourself. I think it gives false hope and teaches people to be weak.

That something else is God. We can't rely on ourselves because we screw up everything with our decisions. You can't go wrong by doing what the Bible says.

Fear is the main tool used in the bible to control people, and it works well. It does teach some good morals but we don't need the bible in order to be good.

God is not the god of fear. He is a loving God who helps us. He loves us. That's why He sent His Son.
Where do you think our morals came from if it wasn't from the Bible?

I believe that all of the gods that have been created by humanity cancel each other out, leaving us with reality.

There is no historical proof for that.

When it comes to religion, I think that the bad outweighs the good.

Religion has done some bad things but in the balance, it's been better than the atheist stuff.

[edit on 7/26/2010 by texastig]

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Part 3 of 3

I refuse to be controlled by other people's beliefs. I certainly am never going to pretend that I know the truth.

That is good. No one needs to control anyone else. The truth can be found in the person, Jesus Christ. John 14:6

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

Go for it. Let me see your interpretations of the man-made book.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by texastig

Those are some nice interpretations of the bible. It makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside when you pretend that it all makes sense doesn't it?

You're okay with children in the world being raped, tortured, and killed, all for some imperfect guy that God created, according to a man-made book. How about this? A child dies every 5 seconds from hunger. There's a truth for you.

Evil, suffering, and millions of people being eternally burned in hell is allowed as punishment for a man that ate from a tree. Anyone that believes that should really get their head checked.

God could've just simply not created the magical tree in the first place. Let's not get into free will either, especially when talking about an all knowing God. An all knowing God would've foreseen and could've prevented the very fall of humankind and the punishment afterwards. He could've prevented Jesus from having to be beaten and nailed to a cross. He also could've prevented all of the suffering and all of the people that will go to hell for something that God could've prevented in the first place. Nice belief you've got there.

Your belief, along with millions of others, was created to help comfort us with our fear of death. It's as simple as that. While you're preaching until you're red in the face about how Jesus is the truth, another guy in the world is preaching about how his God is the one true God. What can we gather from that? That no one knows the "truth". Stop pretending that you do.

Everything people believe when it comes to death is what people want to believe. People are willing to believe and follow anything that makes them feel better about death, even Christianity. Accept that we don't know. Accept that people have been controlled by Christianity, and continue to be controlled by it. Accept that people are scared into following the bible through the fear of death, the devil character, and hell. Accept that some people don't like to take responsibility for their own actions, so they use the devil as an excuse. Accept that people blamed anything they didn't understand on God or Satan because we were ignorant at the time. Accept that we are still ignorant, which is made evident by people like you that still believe in this outdated nonsense. Accept that the bible has been messed with, retranslated numerous times, and interpreted in thousands of different ways. Why anyone would have any faith in it whatsoever is beyond me.

If you can't accept any of that, and can't even question your religion and its flawed book, then you aren't worth anymore of my time. You will continue to be controlled and live your life in fear.

Here is a link that shows a good amount of contradictions in the bible btw www.infidels.org...

[edit on 28-7-2010 by Naughty B0B]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   
It's not the purpose to get to heaven isn't it. Heaven is not the goal for a christian for Jesus told us continiuously exploring knowledge is eternal life. The purpose of christianity is life.

Leading a good life is servance of God.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by etherical waterwave

That's only your interpretation. When most people of a religion can't even agree on what their "word of God" says, that's a sign to me that it's all BS. Another sign that it's all BS is the fact that millions of people think that their belief is the one true belief.

There are plenty of Christians that ask, "well what if you're wrong and you go to hell?" Probably without realizing it, I think that they admit that the fear of going to hell and not making it to heaven is what mainly drives them to blindly believe. Christians tend to continue the use of scare tactics that the authors and followers of the bible used to control people and keep them hooked. Take hell and the scary devil character out of the bible and you take away all of the book's power and control.

Death is mysterious and scary enough for people. Add the fear of a scary villain, and a place where people can be burned for eternity, and you have a perfect way to control people.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by Naughty B0B]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Naughty B0B

So basically all you have here is a flame bait topic, and that you alone have the monopoly on the truth. How so very enlightened of you to share your sense of self importance with us. Thank You very much.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
^
I
I
I

guy above is correct.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:07 PM
link   
when i have time i will op, its a long op to respond too.

" man made book "

yea so what. god leaves his life story in the way of communication, written word.

those men were inspired by God. like i keep saying, gods not gong to call eeryone on he cell phone and talk to them for hours. no God left his story in a book.

he aint gonna leave mandkind in the dark. when i have more time, i will go over the whole op.

peace .

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 09:40 PM
link   
There are plenty of Christians that ask, "well what if you're wrong and you go to hell?" Probably without realizing it, I think that they admit that the fear of going to hell and not making it to heaven is what mainly drives them to blindly believe. Christians tend to continue the use of scare tactics that the authors and followers of the bible used to control people and keep them hooked. Take hell and the scary devil character out of the bible and you take away all of the book's power and control.

Death is mysterious and scary enough for people. Add the fear of a scary villain, and a place where people can be burned for eternity, and you have a perfect way to control people. " (OP)

first of enough knock it OFF with the infidels website. that website has already been exposed. they twist and misinterpret scripture how their rebellious minds want to so god becomes more false to them.

take hell and scary devil out ? that's funny, because i believe and haven't feared the devil ONCE. or hell.

i wonder why.

maybee because i READ the whole book where it says. you have no more fear, the spirit of fear the prophets called it.

so actually God in the same exact book said to not fear satan or hell, but to only love and hope because of our salvation. isn't that funny? kind of destroys that whole argument you got there.

and get this.

what person would be scared who is confident? NOONE.

it's baloney. your whole argument is so paper thin that it's amazing. I use to be a non believer.

i converted on my own account. not hell told me to, not the devil, none of that. the reason me and 99% of christians believe is because we see something more to this life then nothing.

and through this faith, saints have actually seen God. my grandmother seen him. my grandmothers dad seen him at the deathbed. scientists have tested miracles and cannot explain them.

im going to go through the op later, but i had to respond to that,

as for hell. there is a jail on earth. THERE HAS to be a jail after death to hold evil. if God didn't seperate evil from good then he doesn't care.

comon THINK.

so people who hate jail can go to the courts and say. forget the rules, you judges are just trying to SCARE us into control.

isn't that bs? ofcourse.

hell is a reality like jail is. i know about it just like i know about jail and aint scared, infact the idea of hell is just just like jail.

sepertion has to be done and the saints said the hell fire might be spiritual hatred. not a literal flame.

peace op.

[edit on 28-7-2010 by JesusisTruth]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Jovi1

You are very welcome. If you don't like what I have to say, then maybe you should ask yourself whether or not it's because you're one of the people I'm talking about that's being controlled.

[edit on 30-7-2010 by Naughty B0B]

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JesusisTruth

People that blindly believe, such as yourself, tend to do three things quite effectively: Pretending, denying, and being controlled. Pretend that you know God exists without any evidence. Deny anything that goes against your one true religion. Pretend that you're right and everyone else is wrong. Pretend that you know the truth. Pretend that you know hell is real. Deny any contradictions in the bible. Deny anything that doesn't make sense in the bible. Pretend that you're not afraid of your God or hell. Pretend that you're not being controlled.

I'll let you in on some secrets. You don't know God exists. You don't know the "truth". You don't know if a hell exists. You can't deny every contradiction and every hole in the bible. You are afraid of God and hell because the bible tells you to be. You are being controlled because you are afraid. You are being controlled because you let your blind belief control how you think and live.

posted on Jul, 30 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   

reply to post by Jovi1

You are very welcome. If you don't like what I have to say, then maybe you should ask yourself whether or not it's because you're one of the people I'm talking about that's being controlled.

Has nothing to do with whether or not I like what you say. It has everything to do with you getting up on your soapbox and acting like you know better than everyone else when in fact you do not. You are just as bad as those you claim to be against, and sorry it only tells me you know and think as much and as little as they do. The only thing you have done with this thread is parrot back what someone else has already said before you.

I'll let you in on some secrets. You don't know God doesn't exist. You don't know the truth. You don't know if Hell does exist. You can't deny that there are many truths in the bible. You are not afraid of God and Hell because you have too much pride. You are being controlled because you are proud. You are being controlled because your pride insists that you convince everyone else that you have the truth and they do not, and you alone must save them from themselves.

I don't care what you believe or don't believe. It makes no difference to me it's your soul it's your journey not mine. I have no issues with my faith. I have no issues with your lack of it. But I am not the one who felt the need to tell everyone else how they are complete fools for their personal beliefs, and that to me puts you on par with every televangelists out there.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join