It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"The Road" review, you could not last long eating people

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 09:26 AM
link   
For those interested in human consumption, I present to you, "Butchering the Human Carcass for Human Consumption":
www.churchofeuthanasia.org...

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by witlrunybabit
For those interested in human consumption, I present to you, "Butchering the Human Carcass for Human Consumption":
www.churchofeuthanasia.org...

Oh that is just too much. Are they for real or is this like 'The Onion Report'? Jeffrey Domer (sp?) comes to mind. That is just completely wrong.

When it all hits the fan, I could see myself shooting quail or something, but I could never eat my pets. We have some chickens, and whenever we end up with a rooster he is taken out. My stomach churns when this happpens because I make pets out of them. Cannabalism, no way, I'd starve or get eaten first.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:38 AM
link   
I'm going to break from my norm and give a star and flag for this clever thread.

I never really thought about the ramifications of practicing cannibalism for survival.

Coincidentally, I just saw this movie recently and thought it was the most depressing, bleak, disturbing movie I've watched in my life. I didn't even finish it because there was nothing I could imagine I'd be taking away from that film that was going to be worth the effort to watch it.

I have never watched a movie completely devoid of scenes where there is happiness. No scene offered a glimmer of hope that there could be a light at the end of the tunnel for those people left inhabiting Earth. If it's sole purpose was to incite deeply disturbing emotions in the viewers, then I guess it gets an a+ for that. Other than that, it's not highly recommended viewing. And the worst part is, you aren't even told what the hell happened to cause the devastation of the Earth in the first place.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
In response top the first two posts, The Road is amazing. Although paced slowly, the movie is very interesting and gives a realistic depiction of what post-apocalyptic, anarchic society would look like. Book of Eli is just another dumb, big-budget, pseudo-intelligent action-filled waste of celluloid. If you can't sit through The Road then maybe that tap water did turn you into an ADHD zombie.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
i dont imagine canibals are much concerned with balanced nutrition or living long.
indeed the road was as bleak as it gets. .no cartoonish treatment.. as harsh as
i care to imagine. with just a glimmer of hope at the very last gasp.
as a survivalist type, my critic-
the woman taking a hike..wtf..
no maternal instinct? didnt add up.
clearly it makes the case for guns and ammo.
it was down and dirty, and portrayed the
stripped down struggle the could happen.
if it provokes some reflection and a move towards
being more prepared -then good.
but these guys that think it will be an exciting
challenge are retarded.
i tend to think alot of people would just check out..
you kind of see that popping up already.
man kills family and then self..
we already have ruthless violent gangs roving around.
killing sprees..mass murders, be-headings. etc..
so maybe we are half way there.
i got a few more shells for the shotgun-
i'm tough and stringy..

[edit on 2-9-2010 by p51mustang]

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Haven't seen the film.

I really thought the book was amazing.

Its just about survival.

Ending was fine because the man achieved what he needed to. he delivered the 'package'

I can put on a real conpiracy theory hat here now and tell you that the reason this book was wrote was merely to sell more cans of coke. (Don't know if this was in the film but was in the book.)

I grew up loving coke like everyone else did. Now we all know its not the best thing for you or your kids. But when you were younger all those decades ago you really loved coke. Now you don't really drink or don't want your kids drinking it. Then you read a a book about the apocolypse and think maybe I should let my kid have the odd can of coke? There is a piece in the book where the kid gets the chance to taste a coke.

What you think.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy
Coincidentally, I just saw this movie recently and thought it was the most depressing, bleak, disturbing movie I've watched in my life. I didn't even finish it because there was nothing I could imagine I'd be taking away from that film that was going to be worth the effort to watch it.

I have never watched a movie completely devoid of scenes where there is happiness. No scene offered a glimmer of hope that there could be a light at the end of the tunnel for those people left inhabiting Earth. If it's sole purpose was to incite deeply disturbing emotions in the viewers, then I guess it gets an a+ for that. Other than that, it's not highly recommended viewing. And the worst part is, you aren't even told what the hell happened to cause the devastation of the Earth in the first place.

That was really the point of the movie and the book. It is a scenario that could happen if we allow it. Cormac McCarthy meant for it to make us think about the consequences of actions taken or not taken.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
My nanny died of CJD aka mad cow disease

You cannot contract this from eating people or anything else that is not infected

It is a prion disease like aids and a person/animal must already be infected in order to spread the disease

Thoroughly cooked meat whether human or animal would be fine

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull

Ending was fine because the man achieved what he needed to. he delivered the 'package'

You are speaking about The Book of Eli and not The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Correct?

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aislin

You are speaking about The Book of Eli and not The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Correct?

I think the package he is referring to is the boy(???) I heard the book was much different than the movie and even had a different ending to it.

posted on Sep, 2 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightGypsy
I'm going to break from my norm and give a star and flag for this clever thread.

I never really thought about the ramifications of practicing cannibalism for survival.

I saw it differently (I do agree most of it was bleak). The end of it was the light at the end of the tunnel. (no pun intended)

When you get to the very end, you realize that some (not all) not-so-good circumstances were really a blessing in disguise. You cannot come to that conclusion until you get to the very end, which causes you to think back.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Aislin

I'm talking about the Road.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by nlouise

yes. was refering to the boy. trying not ruin it for anyone who might be reading it at the moment.

posted on Sep, 3 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

reply to post by nlouise

yes. was refering to the boy. trying not ruin it for anyone who might be reading it at the moment.

Thanks. Oops, sorry. -The soda was in the film. I just don't remember it being Coke. Conspiracy hat: maybe another coke product.

posted on Sep, 7 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnySeagull

Ok. In Cormac McCarthy's The Road there wasn't a delivery of anything. I haven't seen the movie. I'll have to rent it and see how the story-line of the book was changed for the screen play.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aislin
reply to post by JohnySeagull

Ok. In Cormac McCarthy's The Road there wasn't a delivery of anything. I haven't seen the movie. I'll have to rent it and see how the story-line of the book was changed for the screen play.

I haven't seen the film.

In the book I read he delivered the kid. He completed his mission in life. He safely delivered the kid to a new life and he died doing it.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I feel that both the book and the movie were extremely powerful. If people think for a second that a post apocalyptic world will be a clip out of Mad Max, they obviously don't pay enough attention to where we are already and unfortunately, they probably won't last long when SHTF for real. The story isn't meant to take you on an emotional rollercoaster. It's supposed to be bleak, barren and depressing; a close examination of the human psyche when there truly is very little hope. You'd be hard pressed to find cheery, rosy cheeked folk in a post apocalyptic world. Not that I've ever been in a post apocalyptic scenario, but our world is already sliding around the bottom of a porcelain bowl and that is with governing bodies and enforced laws. Sure some people would band together, there would be communes and clans, but all of them with their own agendas. Our people can't band together now, and we have no reason to fight... Imagine what it'll be like when everything becomes a resource or a necessity of survival. It's fine if you have a survival plan, in fact it's great.. But you also have to realize a lot of other people do to. Some of them don't care about your plan (most don't), and some of them will do everything they can to stop your plans dead in their tracks.. and I mean DEAD. This world would only become more cruel in the post apocalyptic setting.

The story is a great magnification of true human emotion. It is about the struggle, not how the father and son got there, or why the world is in shambles. Some people may not like it because it forces them to think about the things that make them uncomfortable. Rest assured, that in a post apocalyptic world there would be little time to think about the niceties of life. Survival is survival. Even in the brief moments of happiness the duo has, you know it will be short lived.. The father knows to enjoy it, and to make sure the son does too. Something as simple as a sip of coke can keep that glimmer of hope glimmering. Very few stories deliver their message in such a powerful tone. Be thankful for what we have now, because there is no telling exactly what lies in store for the future. Make sure the ones you love know it, and always expect the unexpected.

As for the cannibalism thing, I'd expect there to be some adverse reactions in people, simply because humans don't generally eat humans. Over time immunities and gene mutation would occur to more readily accept human meat.. In some populations anyhow. Of course it's all speculation, I've never eaten human nor do I plan to. I think that properly prepared and cooked meat of any kind would be edible.. Of course I'm just some guy. What do I know?

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
No one has mentioned the case of the Uruguayan Soccer Team who survived a plane crash in the Andes. It was noted when they were finally rescued that they were all in good health and weight, then the reality hit, they had resorted to cannibalism of the dead members of the team to survive. This was in 1972 and they were lost for 72 days.

As for the Movie, "The Road", I loved it. Powerful! I love emotions on high. The only odd part was that the family with the dog was following them the entire time. Or, was that house with all the bunker-goods, was that their house? Did they realize they were "found out", but only to find out another child was involved so they decided to follow them. Why didn't they just make contact right away?

I did like the final scene, this boy seemed far more rational than the two other children who appeared bewildered and shocked; maybe I could not place them, they might just be products of a survivalist family on the move, "stay close but quiet".

The absolute most awesome scene is the trees falling! This would be my worst nightmare to witness a dead forest.

edit on 9/8/2010 by Greensage because: to get back on topic

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I suppose with my screen name, I should respond

I find the idea of eating a human to be repulsive, but what exactly would be the physiological problems in doing so? Would our bodies actually "know" we were eating human meat? Is there a substance in human meat that is harmful to us humans? If not, then why should eating humans be physically harmful to us.

posted on Sep, 8 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   
In response to the film "The Road" it was by far the most depressing flick since I don't know. I mean the entire experience was desperation, despair, loss, fear, terror, etc. An onslaught of emotion that doesn't relent. I would like to give the book a whirl, to see the plot differences however.

In regard to the cannibalism discussion, I figure that ANY uncooked meat would carry parasites/ disease, and any diet restricted to one food source is bound to result in significant problems whether it be animal or vegetable (only ONE of these, I mean) Is it scurvy that comes from only seafood/fish?

For further enjoyment on the spiritual/ social aspects of cannibalism, I suggest checking out "Ravenous" starring Guy Pierce (Parody) and reading the short story "Survivor Type" by Stephen King (Drama) The latter is in a collection of short stories he published early 90's I think...maybe in Skeleton Crew or ...yep that's it.

edit on 8-9-2010 by Cole DeSteele because: ETA: "Lady fingerstheytastejustlikeladyfingers"

top topics

<< 1   >>

join