It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Technology has left us behind.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I honestly feel that technology as a whole has left us behind. Yes, all of us. There are those of us who actually understand, build and create new ideas that influence our reality on a daily basis. The thing is, the majority of us no longer understand anything.

For example, television, radio and the Internet. Most of us understand that there is information that moves through the air at the speed of light, yet the great majority of us have no idea how this function actually occurs. Yes, Morse and Alexander Graham Bell figured out how to send information down a connected line, yet now we are sending information down through the air, and I dare any one of you to actually tell me how this process works, specifically.

If we'd had this technology hundreds of years ago, is it possible that the human race would have evolved that much more quickly? Or have we actually gotten to the point where reverse engineering/military intelligence has jumped ahead of us so that we no longer understand our own technology, nor will we ever be able to recreate it if, in fact, the world fails.

How many of you actually understand how anything in your daily lives actually works? Do you actually understand how your computer works? Do you understand how your television works? Do you even understand how a basic radio works? Could you recreate it? If the end of time did come, I feel that we are very, very short changed as far as the people who would actually be in charge of communications and understand the principles of the communications of today.

If all electricity went out tomorrow, nationwide, worldwide, would we be able to even communicate with each other considering the very limited amount of human beings who actually understand and rebuild this technology.

If not, what form of communication are we bound to eventually turn to, and how will it work efficiently enough to not only sustain but to promote world order in which we still have some semblage of control over our own lives?

I'm pretty sure that most of you already have the answer and are just dying to get it out, and at this point, the more the merrier.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
How many of you, if you went back in time, would be able to recreate any form of modern day technology? Yes, it would be awesome to go back 200 years and tell the people about all the amazing things that would come in the future, but I'm willing to bet not one of you would be able to recreate any form of modern day technology (i.e. the TV, the microwave oven, the computer chip, the automobile) - am I wrong? Please tell me I'm wrong. At least one of you has to be able to know how to recreate at least some of this, should this opportunity ever arise.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
No, we don't. There are different between inventing and using. Once we downward our civilization as in Mad Max or Waterworld. We the users will rely on what available as working device or vehicle until we have next generation of inventors that will reinvent them to be use by general population or the instructions, manuals, information etc. are still preserve and we will able to rebuild them again. We should not take inventors for granted. They are our prosperity in civilization.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Aslpride

While it still exists, shouldn't we all be learning as much of this as possible?

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Aslpride

For me those that believe in the "end world" physlosiphy, and have not taken on this philosophy, "To learn about as musch modern day science as possibe". Will be left far, far, behind when it actually happens.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamwalker74 The thing is, the majority of us no longer understand anything.

Speak for yourself, John!

I had the same revelation when I was about eight. I remember riding around in the car on a long boring trip, and started looking at everything in the car, in detail. How do you make plastic? What sorts are there? I know it comes from oil, but how? How do you find oil? I've seen oil rigs but how do they work? How do you drill that deep? How do you make the metal to drill that deep? On and on, in a sort of Socratic reduction that took hours.

The answer, of course, is that you don't possibly live long enough to learn everything, nor would most of it be interesting to you. A general understanding with a focus in one or two related areas is the most you'll have time for in life.

For example, television, radio and the Internet. Most of us understand that there is information that moves through the air at the speed of light, yet the great majority of us have no idea how this function actually occurs....I dare any one of you to actually tell me how this process works, specifically.

I understand it, as we currently believe it works, but conferring an accurate picture of how this works on a layman is a tough go involving a lot of 'trust me on this part'.

...have we actually gotten to the point where reverse engineering/military intelligence has jumped ahead of us so that we no longer understand our own technology, nor will we ever be able to recreate it if, in fact, the world fails.

Sure we can. It'll have to be a team effort, though, back to the 'no one lives long enough to do the whole thing by themselves' part. What might be more relevant to ask is "have we mined out all the easy pickins so that if we DO crash, there won't be enough of anything accessible to a re-boot civilization to work with". The days are gone when you could take a pick and shovel and surface mine enough high grade Great Lakes hematite by yourself to make a plow next month.

How many of you actually understand how anything in your daily lives actually works? Do you actually understand how your computer works? Do you understand how your television works? Do you even understand how a basic radio works? Could you recreate it?

Yes to a radio, maybe to a TV (you can build one with tube level tech). I can design you a fine computer, write the firmware for the BIOS and the OS drivers. I could, with a lot of motivation, write an OS, but we're talking cattle prods. Given a working fab shop, I could make you some decent junction transistors, but I never went into circuit fab, as it wasn't my idea of fun. We did get enough to make diodes and transistors, if you can get me a working lab, ultrapure dopants and monocrystalline silicon.

If the end of time did come, I feel that we are very, very short changed as far as the people who would actually be in charge of communications and understand the principles of the communications of today.

I plan to be Emperor of Pensacola. Of course, we've got a lot of folks out at Corry Station that would contend that position with me.

I'm pretty sure that most of you already have the answer and are just dying to get it out, and at this point, the more the merrier.

I remember way back when before complex ICs were common in civilian equipment, and we actually had cooked food and wore shoes.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamwalker74

By keeping certain technologies secret, insiders can use such advances to criminally benefit those who control such technology. With one arm of government keeping secrets of major importance to us the "little people" and the other keeping advances at bay, is it any wonder? This of course keeps us from truly functioning in some advanced way. By status quo terms, keeping us where they want until they decide we are ready, is not what I feel is conducive to the advancement of the species. While some think we have too much technology, others think we don't have enough.

At present we are stifled and prevented from learning except what they tell us is truth. With technology, they, the elite controllers do not want to discover too late that what technology we get to use does not come back to haunt them or that can be used against them in their criminal enterprises.

By learning the lessons of the Internet and how the Internet has affected things, it is clear that they now must restrict Internet technology and control its content output. It is this type of lesson learned that now dictates a strangle hold on the release of any new major inventions and or new intellectual property associated with advances in anything that allows for "Communication" between the masses or free energy.

Anyway, technology can be good or it can be bad, it's the user that determines, but if government has it their way, they will keep certain technologies away from us claiming public health, and or other bogus excuses to prevent the wide scale manufacturer and or distribution of technology deemed a threat to elite control and power over the masses and or their ability to make money at our expense.

Perhaps one day such an archaic way of thinking can be corrected. Perhaps not. All I know and believe is that I have no doubt we would advance ourselves to new heights if we were encouraged to be more and do more. It those new heights of advancement that the elite have yet to figure out how to control, so in the meantime they push for control over the release and or the development of certain technologies. They have learned that we can learn and we can learn faster that they like. This causes them fear and that fear causes them to strangle advances in new technology.

The only tech coming out is the tech they allow and when they release it, they monopolize their greed and control of both profits and what we the people think is current technology.

If anyone pays attention, certain technologies get promoted while others and their inventions are kept secret, coerced, threatened, murdered or imprisoned because of what their technology represents to the betterment of all humans and to the determent of the elite that like the corrupt manner in which they currently function and control our lives and what we use in our daily lives.

Control of such advancements has replaced American ingenuity and American pride to solve complex problems. These days to see an example of how such idiocy is in our leadership is to look at the fact that our elected representative don't even read the bills they sign.

Once again control has been taken away from a select group that could if they so chose to, change this current strangle hold on achievement and advances in technology that we need to become free from the abuses of pollution and environmental abuses of corporations against humanity and the inhabitants of the world.

Thanks for the posting. Good subject matter.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamwalker74
I honestly feel that technology as a whole has left us behind. Yes, all of us. There are those of us who actually understand, build and create new ideas that influence our reality on a daily basis. The thing is, the majority of us no longer understand anything.

Modern technology is the work of GENIUSES. And they have spent
years studying the work of previous GENIUSES. GENIUSES represent
about 1 percent of the white European population. They have an IQ of
about 140+. Genius is hereditary. Yet the average moron would rather produce a moron that looks like him than a genius that doesnt. 5 generations of breeding the top 5 percent of men to the top 90 percent of women would produce a society with a lot more geniuses but the reverse will produce the NWO society of Dr. Moreau.

They hate you if your clever,they despise a fool.-John Lennon
The genius is strangely feared and hated in western society as
Dr. Frankenstein or as the nerd.

The GENIUS is different than you and me, they have more brains.-R

Hamlet:
What a piece of work is a man, how noble in reason, how
infinite in faculties, in form and moving how express and
admirable, in action how like an angel, in apprehension how like
a god! the beauty of the world, the paragon of animals—and yet,
to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me—
nor woman neither, though by your smiling you seem to say so.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamwalker74

How many of you actually understand how anything in your daily lives actually works? Do you actually understand how your computer works? Do you understand how your television works? Do you even understand how a basic radio works? Could you recreate it?

Technology has failed us and people have failed themselves via technology.

How many people understand how their body works?

How many people understand how their spirit works?

Who cares about TV, Computers or Radios when the solar flares blast the Earth with the greatest EMP ever?

Learn to cook, learn to filter water, learn what you can eat in your region, learn to make fire, learn to make shelter, learn to defend yourself.

technology is not important in the end of the world scenario IMO.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

How many people understand how their spirit works?

I understand how to make spirits, too. I'm figuring it's going to be one of my campaign platforms. Tom, Emperor of Pensacola - he knows how to make beer and moonshine. Not just crap moonshine, either, he knows how to make the real thing.

Who cares about TV, Computers or Radios when the solar flares blast the Earth with the greatest EMP ever?

This is one of the things that tells me you won't be in contention for Emperor, as it's a basic failure of the understanding of physics. Solar flares do not produce EMP. It's totally different. There's a chucklehead that wrote a somewhat implausible book that doesn't understand enough, technically, to know the difference. But EMPs and solar flares are not very alike. A solar flare will not cause any damage to your TV, radio or computer whatsoever - there's no Compton effect.

Learn to cook, learn to filter water, learn what you can eat in your region, learn to make fire, learn to make shelter, learn to defend yourself.

technology is not important in the end of the world scenario IMO.

But I already know how to do these things, anyway. It's another plank in my Emperor platform.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

yet now we are sending information down through the air, and I dare any one of you to actually tell me how this process works, specifically.
Dare accepted. The actual mechanics behind aren't all that complex in reality...it's based on the simple theory of propagating an engineered electromagnetic wave through the air...and electromagnetic waves induce a current in metals because they contain excess amount of electrons, and electromagnetic waves excite electrons, if you were to stick a piece of metal near the focal point of your satellite TV dish it would probably get hot because the dish focuses electromagnetic waves sent from space...and a flow of electrons is a flow of electricity...therefore all you need is a metal aerial/antenna in the path of these electromagnetic waves sent from TV stations and a current will induced in the aerial...all you need to do then is attach some sort of tuning device to it which can be tuned to listen to only one frequency and interprets the electrical signals accordingly...then attach some sort of visual display to the tuning device and you'll have a picture...

I could also explain in fairly simple terms how the old tube TV's and the new LCD TV's work...but I don't really have time, and my point has been made anyway...things really aren't as complex as they may seem at first...it's like a magicians tricks...you may be totally stumped as to how they achieve the end result...until you see how it's done...then it seems all too easy...don't get me wrong, I did skip over all the most complex parts of sending and receiving a TV signal, which mostly involves information processing and embedding data in the waves...none the less, you now understand the basic concepts behind how TV works...non cable TV anyway...

[edit on 24/7/10 by CHA0S]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

This is one of the things that tells me you won't be in contention for Emperor, as it's a basic failure of the understanding of physics. Solar flares do not produce EMP.

Sure. This is my error generalizing the activities of the sun. Coronal Mass Ejections can and will knock out the satellites that our technocratic world rely on as the transport layer for signals. so yes, your TV will work but there will be no signal transmitted to it because your cable provider's link will be absent.

Enjoy being emperor. Wear some clothes this time.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by zroth

Enjoy being emperor. Wear some clothes this time.

That takes away all the fun. I'm expecting to have a throne room something like the orgy scene in Conan the Barbarian, only without the split-pea and human soup.

I'm going to put the throne room out at the Florabama too; it'll necessitate some remodeling.

edit - BTW, that's one of the actual uses of HAARP - draining the magnetosphere of leftover CME particles so they don't keep whacking into satellites. Although there are non-discussed satellites that do the same thing now from orbit, and do a better job.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by Bedlam]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
I agree with you on this. However, I do know how my computer actually works/does what it does (starting 3rd year of my computer sciences bachelors degree in the fall).

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   

If we'd had this technology hundreds of years ago, is it possible that the human race would have evolved that much more quickly?

We did have it nearly a hundred years ago. Tesla discovered radio waves back in the 20's or 30's. Among hundreds of other things many of which are responsible for most of the technology we rely on today.

But your right we should be much more advanced. Except JP Morgan screwed us out of our future which would be the present now for for the almighty buck. Tesla was sending free electricity through the air back then also. The Morgan's and Rockefeller's etc. suppressed much of Tesla technology.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Forget about technology. The reboot would be way more basic: can you make a pen or a pencil?

We take for granted raw goods gathering and manufacturing techniques that create the simplest of things, things that we'd find quite difficult if not impossible to tinker together at home or a shop.

[edit on 7/25/2010 by electropop]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by electropop
We take for granted raw goods gathering and manufacturing techniques that create the simplest of things, things that we'd find quite difficult if not impossible to tinker together at home or a shop.

Well, I can plow with a mule, but if I had to make a plow, I'd be in trouble. I don't do smithy work. But as Emperor, I can trade beer for one.

edit: back in the sticks where the sun never shines and owls hoot during the day, and where Emperor Tom was born, "plowing mule" is a term describing the art of using a mule to plow. However, for city folk it seemed that "plow with a mule" might be more clear than "plow mule".

Anyway, I do know a few smiths that still know how to make most anything, given decent stock. I would bet this is a bit more rare in the non-flyover areas, which is why New York and California would be practicing cannibalism in about six weeks. Y'all have at it. Emperor Tom will not permit you passage into his Kingdom of Beer by the Sea.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by Bedlam]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by CHA0S

yet now we are sending information down through the air, and I dare any one of you to actually tell me how this process works, specifically.
Dare accepted. The actual mechanics behind aren't all that complex in reality...it's based on the simple theory

Its just a theory.

No one knows what anything is.

Scientists know how things work not what they are.

And the amount of knowledge varies. A physicist has a greater understanding than the tv delivery guy.

wiki
The electromagnetic wave equation is a second-order partial differential equation that describes the propagation of electromagnetic waves through a medium or in a vacuum. The homogeneous form of the equation, written in terms of either the electric field E or the magnetic field B, takes the form:

\Bigg(\nabla^2 - [ \mu\epsilon ] [\partial^2 \over \partial t^2] \bigg) \mathbf[E]\ \ = \ \ 0

\Bigg(\nabla^2 - [ \mu\epsilon ] [\partial^2 \over \partial t^2] \bigg) \mathbf[B]\ \ = \ \ 0

where c = [1 \over \sqrt [\mu\epsilon] ] is the speed of light in the medium, and ∇2 is the Laplace operator. In a vacuum, c = c0 = 299,792,458 meters per second, which is the speed of light in free space.[1] The electromagnetic wave equation derives from Maxwell's equations. It should also be noted that in most older literature, B is called the magnetic flux density or magnetic induction.

[edit on 25-7-2010 by RRokkyy]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by labam89
I agree with you on this. However, I do know how my computer actually works/does what it does (starting 3rd year of my computer sciences bachelors degree in the fall).

I have IT/ISS in B.S. Degree and I promise you that both of us can't recreate the computer from scratch. That's what OP's mean. We can build a computer or understand how it running. Suppose WWIII comes in with EMP. Half of civilizations has died and all boards are fried by EMP. Now, you and I still alive and we understand how computer works, but can we recreate from scratch using chemicals to form pathways on boards. The reality is I can't. Can you?

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by AslprideSuppose WWIII comes in with EMP. Half of civilizations has died and all boards are fried by EMP. Now, you and I still alive and we understand how computer works, but can we recreate from scratch using chemicals to form pathways on boards. The reality is I can't. Can you?

Well, yes, I can, actually. I could build you one from TTL if I had to, it wouldn't be very fast or capable, but I could do it.

Anyway, the entire "all boards are fried" thing is bogus. It never happens that way. Most equipment will survive just fine, the issue is that enough will be knocked out, primarily comms and power distribution, that you won't have enough puzzle pieces to make your economy go for quite a while.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join