It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corpse flower about to bloom(video)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 09:51 PM
link   

After weeks of playing hard to get, Lois, the corpse flower, has finally started blooming for an entire city of suitors eager to see her true colors — and not-so-sweet scent.

scroll down on page for video.
these are awesome plants, i believe they are the worlds biggest flower,
And the smelliest also...

The 5-foot-tall Lois has courted thousands of visitors this month at the Houston Museum of Natural Science, romancing the public with her mysterious story as a special flower with a knockout smell of rotting flesh. The museum's Cockrell Butterfly Center has sometimes stayed opened round the clock for curious onlookers teased by one of the largest flowers in the world, one whose bloom is so rare that only 28 other bloomings have been observed in the U.S. Thanks to Facebook, Twitter updates and a viral webcam, the spectacle over Lois has been so huge it's accomplished the unthinkable: making a museum horticulturist a celebrity. With the corpse flower making her long-awaited coming out party Wednesday, museum visitors were able to see the deep purple of Lois' petals. A few even caught whiffs of the grave aroma. "I was almost knocked out by the smell when I put my nose to it a minute ago," said Zac Stayton, the museum horticulturist turned media darling. Lois opened herself about a third of the way Wednesday and is expected to be fully bloomed by today. The museum planned to stay open all night to accommodate the new burst of attention. 21 visits

stinky flower source

[edit on 24-7-2010 by baddmove]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
S&F.

Always nice to see rarieties in the natural world!
Thanks for sharing it for us.

Edit; I do love how they refer to it as a person throughout the article.

[edit on 24/7/10 by Robbed In Albion.]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Robbed In Albion.

your welcome!

I didn't even know that the city of Houston had one of these giant flowers.

I always thought they were strictly grown only in the jungle they originated from..this is really cool.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

No, quite a few have cuttings taken so that they can be grown in museums / gardens. I'm sure the Kew Gardens in London have something very similar actually, if not the exact same species! I'll have to look it up now.

Edit; Aah, it wasn't quite the same species, but it does look very similar!

Kew Gardens; World Biggest Flower!

Looks extremely similar though.

Edit 2; Wait, I lied!
It's actually the exact same species!

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Robbed In Albion.
reply to post by baddmove

No, quite a few have cuttings taken so that they can be grown in museums / gardens. I'm sure the Kew Gardens in London have something very similar actually, if not the exact same species! I'll have to look it up now.

Edit; Aah, it wasn't quite the same species, but it does look very similar!

Kew Gardens; World Biggest Flower!

Looks extremely similar though.

Edit 2; Wait, I lied!
It's actually the exact same species!

LOL..I thought it would be..

only one flower gets that big and smelly..

new topics

top topics

join