It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity and its flawed concept of god.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 09:22 PM
link   
i have been mulling this over since i was a kid and i simply cant wrap my head around the logic of it. im hoping a member better educated on the topic can shed some light on the subject because im stumped.

The first thing that gets me about the biblical god is the fact that for one god seems so HUMAN??? Why would god be jealous?? thats such a primitive emotion. why would a supreme being have its creation jumping through hoops like a bunch of circus clowns????and why is more than half the world NOT ASKING THESE QUESTIONS??? are they that satisfied with the answers they get? or are they too proud to admit they got sucked in and scammed? why would god who is supposed to be all knowing put adam and eve to a test and be surprised with the outcome?? how in the hell can anything surprise god??? doesnt that defeat the purpose of being all knowing?? oh and please dont copy and paste bible verses to me.

you cant defend a flawed god with his own"supposed" work. if the source is flawed who cares about the message. defeats the purpose of looking up to a divine being. this whole do as i say and not as i do attitude is what im talking about. the implicit hypocrisy is also something i want explained.

looking forward to seeing if anybody can enlighten me on these questions.

thanks in advance

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
An incomplete, imperfect, lacking, and struggling god is one that is conceivable and one people can identify with. What would be the point if God had no intrinsic relationship to his creation? There would be no evolution for men or God. Possibly even he can't answer these questions.

Those who would question everything should instead seek to create and make the world a better place.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   
If God isn't real, why do so many people continue to try and prove that he's not real? It isn't that God is like us, it's that we are like him. He made us.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AProphet1233

well then the problem i have with the christian god is that it is so limited. how can i look up to a creator i dont understand? whose logic i can follow? who wants a flawed god? and how can god be flawed? thats impossible by the very definition of what a supreme being is.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tim3lord

This is something I have noticed: People's concept of God tends to mirror the image of their parents. If their parents are taskmasters then they view God in that way.

Arguing the point is kind of like arguing "What comes first: The chicken or the Egg". Are we like this because God is like us? Or did we invent a God that is like ourselves. I tend to go toward the notion that God is probably nothing like us and probably doesn't concern itself with us. As we are talking about an all-knowing, all present being...well...I can't imagine it would be overly concerned with me.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by antonia]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blueracer
If God isn't real, why do so many people continue to try and prove that he's not real? It isn't that God is like us, it's that we are like him. He made us.

i thing you need to re read my post. i never said i didnt believed that god existed i was merely questioning christianitys flawed concept of it.
there is nothing i believe more whole heartily in than a supreme being. what i find hard to believe in is the bibles version of what PEOPLE think god is.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I don't think that Christianity as a religion, along with any other religion for that matter is entirely based upon a belief in God.

Whilst some may view it as a necessity to beleive in a Divine Entity, you can still believe in the teachings of the religions, or believe in other aspects, such as there being an after life, and a meaning to our current life.

God is different things to different people, and I think you need to think about what you're saying and how it could affect others before you jump to any conclusions.

I, personally am an Aetheist, but I have no problem with people believing in a religion, if it gives them a sense of hope, or meaning. Calling something someone believes in flawed, is, in my opinion, something which in itself is flawed and selfish.
People should be allowed to believe in what they wish, to an extent.
Just because you do not agree with, or believe in these things, does not mean that others are wrong to do so.

Edit; After re-reading your post, I have some more things to add.

On the whole, hypocritical note, and the fact that 'God is surprised by Adam's actions in the Garden of Eden', etc, this can be explained by different teachings of Christianity. Whilst both hypocritcal of one another, again it's the essence of the message, and what people WANT to believe in that matters.

Whether you believe in the divine plan of God, or that every entity has it's own free will, and as such makes it's own choice in life, is irrespective of what you think is right.
Some may choose to believe in the divine plan, if they think their life is not going right; They may think that God is testing them, and if they make it through the test, they will be rewarded with Heaven.
Others in free will, and that they must make the right decisions themselves in order to be rewarded with Heaven.

Again, whatever it is you, and others choose to believe in, is your CHOICE. It is neither right nor wrong, and if that choice helps whoever to be a better person, then that surely is reason enough to allow them to make such a choice without criticism.

[edit on 24/7/10 by Robbed In Albion.]

[edit on 24/7/10 by Robbed In Albion.]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Thats because God got antropomorphized (made to look like human, for the not initiated) by bible writers LATER, who were influenced by pagan beliefs of the surrounding people.
They had once the original revelations, but centuries later they got rewritten by the scribes who put many "human" elements into them. This is obvious to every bible scholar.

As a contrast to this: Check a revelation which DID NOT get infuenced or changed and its description of God: In this revelation, God IS INDEED All-Knowing, he never gets surprised, he never gets "regrets" and he never has to "look for Adam and Eve" in the Garden (he cant find them).

Oh, and BTW, you know that whole "God created the Heavens and Earth in 6 days and on the seventh day HE RESTED"?
Check this out:

And indeed We created the heavens and the earth and all between them in six Days and nothing of fatigue touched Us. Qur'an, 50:38

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

im sure a supreme being with the capacity to manifest reality has the capabilities to keep its attention on every aspect of the creation. or it wouldnt exist. so im pretty sure the creator knows you and is watching you. or you wouldt exist to post this reply

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

The Christian definition of God is outdated and to add to that definition is considered blasphemy so people either choose to ignorantly disregard the entire concept of God/Religion or they adhere to a 2000 year old system of thinking as if they were barefooted fishermen being subjugated by Rome. Both of these contribute to what I call the Dissonance of Modern Man, a sort of collective schizophrenia.

Long story short the definition of God should evolve and we do. If you want to image a God that uses the internet and inhabits television screens you can do that. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would be more accurate to reality.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:18 PM
link   
(Just in case you didn't spot my edit

After re-reading your post, I have some more things to add.

On the whole, hypocritical note, and the fact that 'God is surprised by Adam's actions in the Garden of Eden', etc, this can be explained by different teachings of Christianity. Whilst both hypocritcal of one another, again it's the essence of the message, and what people WANT to believe in that matters.

Whether you believe in the divine plan of God, or that every entity has it's own free will, and as such makes it's own choice in life, is irrespective of what you think is right.
Some may choose to believe in the divine plan, if they think their life is not going right; They may think that God is testing them, and if they make it through the test, they will be rewarded with Heaven.
Others in free will, and that they must make the right decisions themselves in order to be rewarded with Heaven.

Again, whatever it is you, and others choose to believe in, is your CHOICE. It is neither right nor wrong, and if that choice helps whoever to be a better person, then that surely is reason enough to allow them to make such a choice without criticism.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
reply to post by antonia

im sure a supreme being with the capacity to manifest reality has the capabilities to keep its attention on every aspect of the creation. or it wouldnt exist. so im pretty sure the creator knows you and is watching you. or you wouldt exist to post this reply

Why would a creator need to pay attention to every aspect of creation? If creation was akin to a masterful work of art it simply needs to exist in itself. Picasso didn't feel the need to analyze his work...

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Robbed In Albion.

is it selfish to want to know the truth? do i as an individual not have the right to free speech? is it not the duty of every single man and women to voice their opinions? if my line of questioning is disruptive to peoples beliefs then those beliefs weren't very rock solid to begin with were they?

as a creation of god am i not playing the role set out for me?

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   

it's a mistranslation problem. the etymology of the word is "red." not as in angry with jealousy. adam was red-skinned. the first humans were made in the image of the gods. personally, i think it's from the egyptian creation story, meaning that adam=atum, and that god is identifying himself as the god pharaoh. so instead of saying, i am a jealous god, he's really saying, i'm god, the pharaoh.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

But why do you feel the need to question someone's beliefs?

You may have the right to free speech, but they also have the right to believe in what they see fit.

I'm not saying that it's not right to question things, but in cases like this, if such a belief makes them a better person, and society as a whole can benefit from it, then is there a need to question the belief?

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AProphet1233

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
reply to post by antonia

Why would a creator need to pay attention to every aspect of creation? If creation was akin to a masterful work of art it simply needs to exist in itself. Picasso didn't feel the need to analyze his work...

thats more to do with metaphysics and quantum physics. i believe the experiments showed photons turning from waves to particles upon observation. the entire reality you exist in is made up of these same subatomic particles and waves. if the experiment proves that observation solidifies reality then the only conclusion is that reality is only solid because either we are all watching it or that a supreme being is watching it. now if we as a collective contentiousness (sentient life that is) are the fragmented aspects of god then that would mean as we watch the universe so does god and vice versa.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I'll take a shot.

Originally posted by tim3lord
The first thing that gets me about the biblical god is the fact that for one god seems so HUMAN???

Before the universe was God. God wanted to experience himself. This is symbolized by a circle with a dot in the center. The separation is the force that spawned creation and allowed the manifest to be realized. Considering that God goal was to see himself it seems logical that many his attributes would be imprinted on Adam, the original man.

Why would god be jealous??

My best guess is this is a poor use of language. If God is incomprehensible then any word will fail to properly explain a sentiment past from God, through the spirit of the recipient to that individuals mind.

and why is more than half the world NOT ASKING THESE QUESTIONS???

Religion has made questioning some taboo activity. To draw an analogy, it used to be patriotic to be a dissident and question authority but those days are gone too. This question should be applied to everything in life. Why is 95% of America not asking questions about the society created without God's laws.

are they that satisfied with the answers they get? or are they too proud to admit they got sucked in and scammed?

The only scam is the hierarchy mans builds around the power that comes from belief. There is a truth that spiritual and psychic power grow exponentially when believers stand together in faith. This knowledge has left to corrupt people siphoning that power, off the top, for themselves. Yes, pride prevents people from integrating the messages that Jesus gave the world, to save face and for fear of being ostracized by the hierarchical organization (insert any denomination here).

why would god who is supposed to be all knowing put adam and eve to a test and be surprised with the outcome??

God created the universe by separating himself. As the plan unfolds, man's role is to co-create and push forward that creation.

how in the hell can anything surprise god???

I have no doubt that Man's action against each other and the planet herself surprise him. How can anyone inflict pain on another for crap that wont matter them in 100 years?

doesn't that defeat the purpose of being all knowing?? oh and please don't copy and paste bible verses to me.

Being all knowing does not mean interfering with your creation's free will. We have millenia of history and psychology yet people continue to surprise each and other one of us with their actions or decisions.

Note: I've had a few drinks!

Peace

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by zroth

i understand the concepts you are trying to explain but these are not the traditional christian views. which is what i have contention with. also nothing all knowing can be surprised. its a paradox.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   

If you are taking about mistakes that GOD made his first that we know of was with woman. As you put it Adam and Eve, well Eve was not the first Lithe was. She was the first wife of Adam and made from the earth as was Adam.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:36 PM
link   
in revelation yeshua (jesus) refers to himself as "The Alpha and the Omega",. which I translate to mean the first god, the last god. the first atum, the last atum. the first son of god, the last son of god.

and as this image suggests, the egyptian pharaohs inherited the title

and yeshua laid claim to the position as the god pharaoh of the earth.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join