It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's Best Preserved Crater Found Using Google Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

This crater, located in a remote area of the Sahara desert, was discovered by researchers using Google Earth. And that's actually not even the coolest part. Kamil, as the crater is called, may actually be the world's best preserved crater.

Don't you love how our little Google earth can help expose things like this... and that's with the pictures they 'let' us see.

Great stuff.

Link

Alt Link

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Yes, that may be the best preserved, but it's not the biggest on record. The biggest is in South Africa...

www.southafrica.info...

Enjoy

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Wow, that's a small crater, relatively speaking. I'm surprised that they were able to find it on google earth, unless they new a general direction to look or stumbled upon it by accident. Anyway, cool find. Thanks for sharing.

--airspoon

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Nice find but that's just a little hole in the ground out in the middle of no where.

Here is a well preserved meteor impact crater:

Berringer Meteor Crater, Arizona

Berringer Crater Info

This was created by a nickel-iron meteorite with a diameter of 50 meters, weighing approximately 300,00 metric tons, traveling @ 28,600 mph. The crater is 4,000 feet in diameter and roughly 570 feet deep.

What's nice about this one is you don't have to go the the Sahara Desert to see it. The Berringer Crater is located 43 mile east of Flagstaff, AZ near the town of Winslow.

I've been there and it is quite impressive, with a nice Visitor Center on the north rim.

If you're in Arizona traveling on I-40, its worth the couple hours stop. Have a piece of pie while you're there.

Remember to bring your drivers license, automobile registration, and proof of insurance. No other papers are required.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
While you've exposed a great newfound crater, I'm afraid that the best preserved crater on Earth is found in the good ol' U S of A...

=
=

top topics

join