It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

D.C. school system fires 241 teachers

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Washington (CNN) -- The District of Columbia public school system announced Friday that it is letting 226 employees go for poor performance under the education assessment system IMPACT.
Another 76 employees will be terminated because of licensing issues, schools Chancellor Michelle Rhee said in a news release. Of the 302 employees who are losing their jobs, 241 are teachers, she said.

CNN

Wow, so many. However, if they're not getting the job done, then I guess they have to go. Will other districts pick them up and will they continue with poor performance?

It's almost time for school to start back up, will they be able to find enough new teachers?

What does this say about the education system, will other districts start to step up and weed out those who are not performing well and teaching our children?

Lots of questions.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Our district is firing a few teachers to save money. We are a fortunate district and no big performance issues I know of, but the economy is bad and our property taxes are too high. We need to save money, including the schools.

What we needed was for all the teachers and admin to take a pay cut or pay freeze. Then we could have saved all the jobs. But the union, without even consulting the teachers, refused that. So there's no choice, fire some teachers.

I wish instead we could knock some sense into the union membership. And I am starting to wonder about our school board too. They just approved raises for the top administrators. Raises, in this economy!? What are they smoking?

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Here is the question.

Are they going to replace these teachers with other teachers? Or are they just using this as an excuse to get rid of more teachers because they no longer have the funding?

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Hopefully this will get the ball rolling for quality teachers to flock to this nations capital. I personally am very happy about the district letting go the dead weight. Now if we could just get rid of the unions.

cheers

posted on Jul, 29 2010 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

I'm not sure. I'm hoping they plan to replace most or all of those teachers with ones who are hopefully better. There certainly isn't a shortage of people with teaching degrees who need work, at least where I live, so if they do want to replace them, there's lots around to do the work.

posted on Aug, 3 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by who_sright?

Yeah, I wish we knew if they were hiring more teachers, ones that would care and do the job right.

As stated, very nice to see the "dead weight" going.

top topics

join