It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You have to admit this is pretty cool

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I found this on stumble upon. We should send all these to clean all the oil BP has spilled into our oceans. This is really incredible. I'm surprised the MSM or anyone else has wanted to use a device like this. What are your thoughts on this guys?

As part of the upcoming Aqua Metropolis festival in Osaka, engineering firm NTT Facilities has developed a pair of solar-powered, UFO-shaped floating water purifiers that will be deployed in the city’s canals and in the moat at Osaka Castle.

The disc-shaped machines — called “Solar UFOs” — weigh about 3.4 tons each and measure 1.6 meters (5 ft) tall and 5 meters (16 ft) across. During the day, an array of solar panels power the machine’s filtration system, which pumps fresh oxygen into the water while removing impurities. At night, a 1.3-kilowatt solar battery provides juice to the LED lamps lining the edges of the floating craft.

The machines, which can purify about 9,000 liters (2,400 gallons) of water per day, spray the clean water out through a nozzle on top, like a fountain. In addition to keeping the surface clean of bird droppings and grime, the water spray keeps the solar panels cool, helping to maintain a high output efficiency.

Click the link for more information!!
pinktentacle.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Hey, do you think they took the idea of the autonomous vacuum cleaners to the waterways?

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
9000L? That's kinda... Useless.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
fixing the oil problem is easy, i just need 5 million

this is my idea ! it should work great

you can see a video here how it works pretty simple idea ! just BP is wasting billions

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 24-7-2010 by aspx]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Edews

That's the best anything else can do out there. I've seen machines like this before. Some only do less then 100 liters a day.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

That is quite cool. I would be interested to know if it could work in salt water, though, since it seems it might just be for use in fresh water.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by aspx

Just out of curiosity, with all the water inside, will the oil tanker still float? From the (Admittedly little) reading I have done on the subject, the only reason oil tankers float is because of the fact that oil is much less dense than water... (Personally I would have thought there were air chambers used... silly me!) Trust the internet to not be able to educate me again! Perhaps I wasn't asking the right question!

I couldn't find anything from a legitimate source in the time I was reading up on it, but you did get me to research something, so star for you!

Perhaps someone could enlighten me further!

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Edited because I replied to the wrong thread. Well done me. : )

That aside, this is a very cool bit of engineering. Maybe our MP's here in the UK could use them to clean their moats?

[edit on 24-7-2010 by eightfold]

top topics

join