It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FL-Gov. Charlie Crist signs executive order to restore Unemployment benefits

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
www.firstcoastnews.com...

Gov. Charlie Crist has signed an executive order allowed out-of-work Floridians to get extended federal unemployment checks through Dec. 4.

"Unemployed Floridians are struggling in this challenging economic climate, trying to figure out how to pay their bills and support their families. We simply cannot desert the 250,000 Floridians who qualify...," Crist said in a statement today.

Congress earlier this week authorized money for extended benefits, but the state Legislature earlier in the year ended state benefits extension deadlines June 5. Tens of thousands of Floridians were dropping out of the extended-benefit program each week.

The extension will last until Dec. 4, per the federal law signed by President Obama Thursday. Florida's benefits ended June 5 before Crist's order.

There are more than 1 million people out of work in Florida, with 250,000 of them having burned through 26 weeks of standard unemployment compensation and other tiers of extended checks that allow for up to 79 weeks of benefits.

Crist made them eligible with a stroke of his pen.

"It is in the best interests of the residents of Florida that unemployed Floridians be permitted to benefit from all existing federal unemployment programs without the impediment of inconsistent state statutes," the executive order states.

Leave it to the Florida Legislature to make a law that says they won't allow ANY federal unemployment extensions funds into the state. Even though it wouldn't cost Florida anything, not even a raise in unemployment cost for businesses.

Thank you Charlie Crist!!!

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Misoir, where do you get from the article that the legislature passed a law that would disallow federal benefits?

In the article it stated that STATE benefits would not be extended. Nothing to do with federal moneys.

Now that I read it again, I find something peculiar about the way the article is written.

Something seems to be fishy here.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Florida SB 1736 was a law that was passed in late April to allow for the extension of federal unemployment benefits. It stipulated though that all further federal unemployment extension will not be allowed after June 5. That is why Charlie Crist had to sign an executive order to allow the extension, if he didn't sign the executive order then Floridians would be barred from collecting Federal Unemployment Benefit extension that was just passed in the Federal Congress.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Thanks for the clarification.

Question, so a governor can circumnavigate the legislature in Florida?

So, do they have a dictatorship down there?

Just wondering what is the purpose of the legislature if the governor can just decree something?

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
reply to post by Misoir

Thanks for the clarification.

Question, so a governor can circumnavigate the legislature in Florida?

So, do they have a dictatorship down there?

Just wondering what is the purpose of the legislature if the governor can just decree something?

Generally Floridians are very skeptical of government so just by him circumnavigating the state legislature like he did is likely to cost him among the more conservative Floridians, say hello to more votes for Rubio.

Yes he legally can, but I do not know to what extent exactly.

Not that I am aware of, but we do have a very lazy legislature. They don't like to do anything and is one of the most partisan in the country.

Dunno. But I'm glad he was allowed to in this situation.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Yeah, I cannot speak to the unemployment component.

I always dreamed about what I would do as a governor.

Probably do an executive order or two.

Start off with that all citizens of my Republic would no longer have to pay any income taxes, recall all national guard, kick out all federal bureaucrats, kick out all federal banks, reinstitute a gold standard and get snipered the next instant. Well, at least there would be something other than Lindsay Lohan or Mel Gibson in the news the next day.

Well, maybe anyway. I am sure at least ATS would cover it. Probably not the MSM.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

You would probably be elected with 60% of the vote in Florida. Most people we know around here are very skeptical of the government, including state, and contrary to typical conservatism they aren't very religious.

The only direct taxes in Florida at the state level are sales and property. Last September when our city was talking about raising the property taxes 30% to fund police and fire departments the people in polls said no, just cut the police.

Florida really lacks many laws. There are no laws about having a license for your pet or inspecting your car.

I don't like Florida it's one of those states where if you aren't wealthy you won't make it. And if you need financial assistance there is no real government assistance OR private assistance. The Red-Cross is closed down for everything except emergencies (i.e. burned down home).

Your kind of state.

new topics

top topics

join