It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we bury people in coffins?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I was watching a documentary not to long ago, and most people wanted to be buried in the ground, with the thought that they would help the planet, and recycle themselves.

I know that there are thoughts about this being about the Black Plague, and not wanting people to get it, Ive even hear that its our fear of mortality and us wanting to preserve the dead longer.

SO here is my question. Why do YOU think that we bury people in coffins now? Cant be about the Black Plague. Could it be that our planet is in peril due to the lack of recycling that it needs from us at one point burying our dead in the ground. If we come from the Earth, what happens when we don't return? I have tried to figure out what this MAY possibly mean, but cant find much.

Or could it be that we have found some sort of ritual that keeps our souls from escaping and entering what some may see as heaven or reincarnation itself? I just find that we have of course our grieving process, but are we hindering our passed loved ones without our knowledge from advancing past death? Or am I really thinking to much?

I mean to offend no one with this line of questioning. I am just curious to what may be missing from something that is so worldwide.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I beleive it is to stop the spread of disease. I know here in GA you also have to have a vault over the coffin if you are buried undergound. The vault will keep your body/coffin from floating up in a flood, also keeps the inside of it nice and dry. I saw photos of a body that was 150 yrs old, but inside the coffin and vault it was in near perfect condition, very little decay. But we do have to do something to avoid animals dragging the bodies back out of the ground, and as mentioned, disease.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Different cultures have different reasons for why they bury their dead. Mostly it's respect.

Burying people in a coffin or crypt (along with embalming) generally came about because of the desire to protect the remains from decay. But also to protect the living from infectious diseases, especially in areas where floods would sometimes wash up bodies from their burial plots.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by TheComte]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

SO here is my question. Why do YOU think that we bury people in coffins now? Cant be about the Black Plague. Could it be that our planet is in peril due to the lack of recycling that it needs from us at one point burying our dead in the ground. If we come from the Earth, what happens when we don't return? I have tried to figure out what this MAY possibly mean, but cant find much.

I don't get it? Does it matter if we are buried naked or in a coffin? Our bodies will return to the Earth eventually regardless.

The notion that the Earth is in peril due to the lack of recycling, and connecting that to the recycling of our bodies, or lack there-off is wrong on so many levels that I don't know where to begin.

Maybe the answer is very simple. We could just place the deceased in the church on a table, then the carriers will carry the lump of decaying meat and bones on their shoulders, where it will probably release some gases and have limbs and head dangeling while it's dead eyes stare into the eyes of the family members, as it is carried past them, tongue hanging out.

At the grave some words will be said, and then the corpse will be flung into the hole, with a loud thump, and it will land on it's neck, butt in the air.

People will say what a great guy he was, as the hole get's filled up with sand.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by Point of No Return]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Thank you both, thats what I thought.

peace to you...

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Point of No Return

I don't get it? Does it matter if we are buried naked or in a coffin? Our bodies will return to the Earth eventually regardless.

The notion that the Earth is in peril due to the lack of recycling, and connecting that to the recycling of our bodies, or lack there-off is wrong on so many levels that I don't know where to begin.

Maybe the answer is very simple. We could just place the deceased in the church on a table, then the carriers will carry the lump of decaying meat and bones on their shoulders, where it will probably release some gases and have limbs and arms dangeling while it's dead eyes stare into the eyes of the family members, as it is carried past them, tongue hanging out.

At the grave some words will be said, and then the corpse will be flung into the hole, with a loud thump, and it will land on it's neck, butt in the air.

I was merely asking a question, it was not to offend anyone, thats why it states "could it be". I had other questions about the same subject, if you didn't get it that fine, but I was searching and couldn't find much on it.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   

I am undecided whether I want to be cremated or buried at this stage but if it was a burial I've already told my kids I want a simple plain very thin wooden box they can easily assemble themselves with afew planks of cheap timber or just shove my dead body in a cave and bury my bones as they are one year later.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Point of No Return

Lol, that would not leave a very nice memory of the deceased.

To me this seems the most plausible reason.

I most certainly wouldn't want my Kids to remember me as a blue, lifeless corpse, best to hide the body in a casket.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:44 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Personally I think I want to go directly into the ground, I think that if there were a chance for me to be recycled in a sense that I would want to contribute back to where the land treated me so well. That's my honest opinion. Even cremation makes me feel like I have more of a say about where my ashes would go.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Bury me upside down. You know the rest of it.

I am thinking that part of it nowadays is corporate money. I think it is illegal for someone to actually bury their own anymore. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

I would prefer an old viking or maybe a fire pillar ritual.

Or maybe the ol cheech and chong. Cremate me and mix me with some chronic and pass it around.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Maybe the answer is very simple. We could just place the deceased in the church on a table, then the carriers will carry the lump of decaying meat and bones on their shoulders, where it will probably release some gases and have limbs and arms dangeling while it's dead eyes stare into the eyes of the family members, as it is carried past them, tongue hanging out.

This reply actually made me laugh out loud!

Thanks for cheering my day up PoNR!

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
There are strict laws in most states about how to bury a body.

Also it is a money making racket.

This is one of those follow the money trail situations. And it makes me sick to see people take advantage of families when a loved one dies.

I'm sure long ago funeral home owners conspired with poloitcal leaders to get laws passed to control the disposal of a dead human.

Personally I prefer the American indian way of life. Build a pirer and burn my body.

Another good way is to put the body in a boat and set it on fire and let the ocean take you out to sea and burn up

It's all about money.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by dizziedame]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 04:17 AM
link   
I too want an unorthodox burial for myself when my time comes.

I can't remember the exact origin, but I think it is based on some native american culture.

The body (me) would have it's bones broken and folded up into a sack, then placed tied in the desert for reabsorbtion into the food chain by the many animals that live in the wild. Not just insects and other organisms, but actual large mammals that could help sustain the ecosystem.

I know this sounds a bit harsh, but since I'm dead I really don't see the need to pay upwards of $5,000 to put me in a hole in the ground and worship a gravestone. Instead I have a way to give back to the earth that I have dominated for thousands of years. Just because we are at the top of the food chain while alive doesn't mean that we stay that way after we die.

Just my thoughts,

King

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   

I was merely asking a question, it was not to offend anyone, thats why it states "could it be". I had other questions about the same subject, if you didn't get it that fine, but I was searching and couldn't find much on it.

I didn't feel your post was offending, nor was I trying to offend you.

Just pointing out the obvious.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Kingalbrect79

Jeah, I've seen this once on tv, this family was sitting on a big rock, and was chopping, cutting and breaking their family member into pieces and feeding them to birds and such.

I was like, WTF, must've been their mother in law.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 04:26 AM
link   
On a side note, why do people feel the need to put grave markers on the side of the road instead of worshipping a deceased family member or friend at their respective grave sites? The idea is ludacris to me and it's really annoying seeing all the crosses and flower collections on the corner of the 96 and leonard street interchange. (hypothetical example)

Do we put forth the same grave markers on the front lawn when an uncle falls from a ladder while cleaning the gutter and breaks his neck?

Not likely. What strange rituals we have for the departed.

King

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Jeah, I've seen this once on tv, this family was sitting on a big rock, and was chopping, cutting and breaking their family member into pieces and feeding them to birds and such.

I was like, WTF, must've been their mother in law.

Now that's funny. In this case though I actually get along very well with my fiance's mother, so I doubt I would do such a thing.

If you really think about it, the soul leaves the body and goes who knows where (Don't say heaven, not that kind of topic), and the rest is just leftovers. Why let it spoil when it can contribute one last gift upon the earth from which chemicals and elements it borrowed from to sustain life.

Just a thought,

King

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   

I agree, it's not much different from getting eaten by bugs, maggots and worms.

It's a cultural thing, but to us it would be very shocking.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I think that the majority of the reason we do it was already stated, first from belief in certain afterlife systems like gods, deities, etc. Second would be out of respect and third and most recent would be money.

I think the reason that we find certain things shocking is that we have been conditioned to find them shocking. Lopping off body parts for stealing here in the U.S. is considered shocking, not to mention cruel and unusual punishment, however go to the middle east and it is a cultural and social norm.

Just my thoughts,

King

**Edit**
By the way, the Tick is awesome.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by Kingalbrect79]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Purification by fire. Scatter ashes in the wind. No worries about disease getting out or bodies floating up in a flood. How undignified would that be? Cheaper, safer, takes no space

I never could figure out why everyone is buried in boxes other than religious reasons of keeping the body whole. I seems like a waste of land to me, and when the bodies get floating around in a flood, well, that's just plain gross, and very unhealthy for the physical or mental health of anyone who sees them.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by snowspirit]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join