It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop caught on camera pushing disabled woman

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Cop caught on camera pushing disabled woman

www.metronews.ca

VANCOUVER - A Vancouver police officer has apologized after he was caught on video pushing a woman with multiple sclerosis down to the ground in the one of the country's poorest neighbourhoods.

The 65-second video was uploaded to the web Thursday by the B.C. Civil Liberties Association.

It shows the 26-year-old disabled woman trying to weave her way through three male officers on a busy Downtown Eastside street last month.

One of the officers then appears to shove the woman to the ground, before walking away. The two other officers do not intervene.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.torontosun.com
www.cbc.ca

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
ACTUAL VIDEO FOOTAGE:

VANCOUVER Late Nite News Report:

I am a big supporter of the police and believe that a majority are excellent public servants. However, it brings me great grief to bring this particular incident to the forefront of our ATS Members.

Not only did this police officer callously and violently violate this woman's civil rights, he just walk away with total disregard.

According to the one video, the officer is NOT suspended pending an "Official Investigation".

What is there to investigate? After any moral individual views the video it should be clear that the police officer responsible for this action is not qualified to "Protect & Serve".

We can only hope justice prevails.

MOD: Please move to proper forum if needed. Thank You

www.metronews.ca
(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT: To Embed Video

[edit on 7/23/2010 by EyeHeartBigfoot]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by EyeHeartBigfoot

The cop probably thought the lady with multiple sclerosis was throwing Gang signs.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Vancouver police statement on officer pushing over disabled woman:
Vancouver Police Statement

Also wanted to clarify the original news article in OP. The disabled woman has cerebral palsy and not multiple sclerosis. I do not believe what disability she has is relevant - brutality is brutality!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Okay. Read all three stories. Watched the video a few times. Looks damning but without knowing exactly what words were exchanged, it's hard to tell exactly how heinous or not heinous it was.

"I was walking home and I reached my hand up because I was trying to get through … but the tall guy pushed me down because they thought I was grabbing their gun because I touched the belt," she said.

If she touched his belt and he thought she was going after his gun, he would be obligated to try to prevent that. He had no way of knowing she had a disability, and may have thought she was drunk or drugged. Her speech, through no fault of her own, iis a bit garbled. Unless the officer knew her personally, he had no way of knowing what the situation was there.

As to her saying that she said excuse me and explained her disability in the few brief seconds before impact, again, she may not have been as clear as she thought she was being.

The two other officers stood back to see how it would develop. The officer who did the pushing did stop and did speak to her, and his body language showed concern. Even as he walked away he looked back twice, as if to say, are you sure? And the other woman rushing to help her was nice, and it also may have been better that another woman was helping her up and making sure she was okay than the male officer putting his hands on her further.

For all we know, she might have been embarrassed and said, it's okay, I'm fine, go away, or words to that effect, probably never intending to pursue it further until someone approached her or talked her into it.

Not saying this is what happened, but it well could be an alternate scenario to the one where people are immediately horrified and assume the worst.

Thing here again is that there is simply too much we didn't hear and don't know from this brief glimpse, and what the woman said afterward didn't really elaborate on it all that much. Maybe her attorneys told her not to say too much while the investigation was open.

Gut feel says this was and unfortunate unraveling of events and misunderstanding. Let's see if the investigation elaborates on it further.

[Go ahead...call me a cop lover and a cop apologist...I can take it!]

Gang signs?

[edit on 7/23/2010 by ~Lucidity]

+3 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:49 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The officer committed Battery on a civilian, and he is still on the job pending an investigation? Why is he not behind bars pending an investigation like any normal civilian would be. As a matter of fact, as he is a police officer, is armed, and should know the law better then anyone else, his charges should be ramped up to the next higher level of Aggravated Battery.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:51 PM
link   
That looks like something you would see in the halls of a junior high school .... three "wanna be tough guys" acting tough and picking on the weak.

I bet they were bullied when they were in school.

It looks like an unprovoked tough guy move..... showing off for his buddies.

And the two cops that did nothing are worse than the one that pushed a 100-110lbs disabled woman.

Disgusting humans.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I just watched that video and that cops needs to turn in his badge. NOW. They are facing each other, walking toward each other and it is very clear that woman is disabled. Why did he not step aside and allow her to pass instead of trying to form a wall with his fellow officers.??? Sounds like a case a having an ego bigger than his crisco laden arse.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Everybody in the video appeared to be disabled. Short squat people walking funny. Okay, that's not funny is it.

It looked like a George Costanza Convention to me. Okay, not funny either.

Wow! I noticed a few people who witnessed this event quickly walked away, like maybe they didn't want to get involved with the popo. Move along, move along, thank goodness it wasn't me getting knocked to the ground.

There did seem to be some confusion after the gal was knocked down. I couldn't tell who helped her up, if anybody did.

I'm not a cop hater. But I do wonder, how can they justify many things that most of them do. And, I'm not talking about knocking a disabled woman to the ground. Rather, driving thorugh stop signs, failure to use a turn signal. These things which get the rest of us a ticket and costly fine.

So it's no stretch of my imagination that a cop can knock a person down on the sidewalk and go on about his business like all is fine.

Stupid woman! You should have stood aside and let the police go about their business! It's your fault you got knocked down!

That last bit was sarcasm, by the way.

Meanwhile, I was driving along a road and minding my own business. Driving in my own lane. A cop dropped something and he bent over to pick it up, and his car crossed into my lane, causing me to drive off the road and into a ditch. Otherwise we would have had a head on collision.
I recovered. No damage. All is good. But what if it was ME that crossed the line and forced the cop off the road. Oh, man, the charges, the fines, the outrage!!! At least the cop could have stopped and checked to see I was okay. Yes? But, no. He went on his merry way.

Knock down a woman and not make sure she is okay? Don't call an ambulance? Nothing? Just move along?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   

How completely horrible but i've seen police do far worse, but none of them are right or justified, that officer should be fired for what he did he wasnt protecting or serving anyone by commiting assault on that woman

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

hmm, not really that funny, but if he did think that, then he is not a very observant cop either.

Also why does it take up to 6 months to do the investigation???, all for but a minute of tape and nothing more, its clear he is guilty of being a &*()&*( and a bad cop.

nice job helping the lady up fellows

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   

That cop walked straight at that poor woman..He made NO effort to move aside for her (although it was abundantly evident she was disabled) and then turned to deliberetly push her in the back.

She was NO threat what so ever...

This fat clown of an excuse for a cop needs to be fired...and charged!!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Very intelligent and thought provoking post. But to dismiss you as a cop lover and a cop apologist never crossed my mind.

At first reading of your post, it appeared you had read a lot into the incident as a whole but to be fair, I did the exact same.

This is the kind of dialog needed to find resolve in such incidents. My fear is that there will be too much "I am right, you are wrong" agenda settings between the two sides to serve justice.

I do have a concern about the "...grabbing their gun..." quote, for the police officers first and most basic instinct would have been to immediately reach their hand back to their firearm ensuring it security.

The claim that the victim was going for the firearm could only have come from the police officer responsible for the push.

The video does not back-up this claim and I care not that the statement was made by the victim. She is disabled and was attacked by a person who is supposed to be her protector. I see no actions the victim made that would have put any of the three officers in danger and no actions that showed the officer in question sensed a threat.

~Lucidity, I understand where you are coming from and I really want to believe this was just a bunch of exterminating circumstances that resulted in this incident.

However, I am lending towards either a POS Thug or extremely poor training. Neither is acceptable nor should it be tolerated.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Yeah, well I did try to remain neutral but also did read into it a bit intentionally to give another perspective. I've been around long enough to know exactly how these threads go, and there are always at least two perspectives from which to view every incident.

The officers perspective is rarely covered, barring the occasional visits to these threads by actual LEOs. Though who could blame them for staying away.

I tried to watch to see if he also reached to protect his gun, and unless he was wearing it on his left side, that would be a negative. Maybe his focus was to get the person away from his gun. I don't know.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:57 PM
link   
It was really bad form for that cop to push the crippled lady down but did you see that "bad" area of Vancouver?

I think I saw two guys walking down the street in an embrace.

What??!

You gotta love Canada's "shady" areas. You may not see a lot of people obviously involved in the criminal lifestyle, or the outright shootings I've witnessed in some of the east-coast cities I've lived in, but you will see green-haired artists and gentle hippies that look like they never saw a gun in their life.

Hey Canada...room for one more?

- Lee

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
The officer committed Battery on a civilian, and he is still on the job pending an investigation? Why is he not behind bars pending an investigation like any normal civilian would be. As a matter of fact, as he is a police officer, is armed, and should know the law better then anyone else, his charges should be ramped up to the next higher level of Aggravated Battery.

You make an extremely valid point. While ignorance of the law is no excuse, law enforcement officers are well versed in the law and must be held to higher standards.

The issuing of an apology would not get any civilian a six month delay in turning the wheels of justice.

If any ATS Members in the Vancouver area read this post, I would be very interested in a reply. Is there anyone in the media, local government or a community activist keeping this incident from being buried after the television news report aired?

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
Thats absurd that the cop might think she was going for his gun..wouldnt that have warranted an immediate arrest??? the 3 tjhugs looking cops jsut pushed her and left without arresting her. so ide rule she was going for his gun out* he looks like he was in prison before to my eyes, nothing but a swamp running rat from prison.
6 months to investigate? sounds like she went to internal affairs, or something, casue that would take some time to do. it is completley messed up though what the cop did. even criminals have rights ya know, which is why they read them to you without hurting you IF being arressted..those rights are thier so you dont sue the city and police place. just seems today, the ssytem and courts favor the punishing officers by majority

i hope she sues..she could make money
and all over an officers selfish decision, LEGALY
really its time like this, people need to pull together and protest this publicly, whords of people angry deficatiing on the doorsteps of local abusive police stations and courthouses, driving by and vandalizing their cars and offices so it makes headline news..not in anger but in justification so THYE get the point too....YOUR a public servent do your job or quit

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:02 AM
link   
When police brutality becomes an olympic event* thas how we know were in BIG trouble : X

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Out of politeness wont translate my initial thoughts upon viewing the video..
Disgusting..
1. Lack of attention to detail and ones surroundings by the officer.. Had he been paying attention he would have realised she was disabled.
2. Lack of professionalism both in the manner they were arrogantly swaggering down the street making others get out of their way along with the one shoving the woman for no valid reason.. Police foot patrols are meant to form better relations with the community NOT to intimidate the public they are meant to serve. Not to mention that normally civilised gentleman would have the courtesy to step aside to let a lady pass.
3. Total lack of concern or compassion for the woman by any of the officers once she was shoved..
Normally I have respect for law enforcement officers as they have a hard and dirty job at times .. But can never respect any who act in the manner that the ones in the video its totally unjustified and unprofessional..

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:57 AM
link   
ATS becomes DAILY SUN!
Thanks OP - I hate sensationalism like the hell!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join