It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can rightwing music be banned?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Many years ago I witnessed preachers stating that rock 'n roll was evil.
Now I'm wondering, can the songs and music from different ages be banned?
I mean if a song doesn't include swearing, racism, sexism and homophobia, what actually makes it wrong?

Take the Horst Wessel Lied www.youtube.com...
I mean Nazism has been conquered so long ago, what harm can it do?
That's pretty extreme perhaps, but there are many other songs of historical interest, and one never hears about them.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by halfoldman]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I am curious about what you mean by "rightwing" music. Can you post some examples besides the one please.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

So songs that mentions all those things are considered rightwing?

So what you are saying is that Rob Zombie is a rightwing song writer?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Starbug3MY

Here in SA we had a huge national debate about the "De La Rey" song.
Some mistakenly feared it was a revolutionary song by right-wing whites against the black government.
How silly it all was, since the song is clearly about the British and Boers, and the British concentration camps. www.youtube.com...
Other than that I've seen a magnificent song of the American south, sung by a huge choir (never found it again), and there's nothing offensive in it.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Ban Music? Name one single song that is banned.....

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

How else could one describe the fact that one never hears them?
I mean there's space for all kinds of unpopular speech, and the more homophobic, sexist and misogynist a song is, the more it is played as an example of "creative freedom".
Yet, no political system exists without music.
So maybe teaching history with music shouldn't just begin with The Beatles.
One can talk about the semantics around "banned", but a lot of folk stuff and nationalistic songs are not within our knowledge. And whether we like it or not, that was our heritage.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:46 PM
link   
On my search for the "southern athem", I discovered the Battle Hymn of the Republic being sung to the Pope.
I've never seen so many "secret society" signs and symbols.
The music is stunning, but the "people" it's being sung for...well, not my cuppa tea:
www.youtube.com...
Then there's the Euro song: www.youtube.com...
What is that all about?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Somebody asked: what is banned?
Well, that depends on where you are.
In Germany almost anything from the Nazi era is still banned (even for educational purposes).

In the US I'm not sure, but I found what I was looking for.
What a lovely song. I wonder what its status is currently?
I've never heard it before tonight.
www.youtube.com...

Anyway, I was just wondering about music, and why some of it still entertains Popes and questionable leaders.
I certainly don't want to start a "hate group" thread, because I'm not really sure why certain music is chosen for this or that.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   

I've never learned anything about The Beatles in history or music classes until College lol. We always learned about Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, you know the classics. However there is a lot of old music that you don't hear very much of these days like old WWI songs. Here's something interesting though Steven Foster who wrote many of our famous American folk songs, some of them were minstrel songs which would be preformed in "black face". Not very politically correct is it? But it shows the times they were written in.

Old songs and songs written by extremists should not be censored. It's a part of our history and culture whether we like it or not. And also in the US it's against the constitution i.e. free speech. Many of the worlds greatest composers were thought extreme, a good example is J.S. Bach.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by asmall89]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:49 PM
link   

the song Eve of Disaster was banned

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   
In the United States it is WRONG to ban any song, music, no matter how vial, hate filled, whatever adjective you want.
It is just wrong.
Freedom of Speech is to important to start down that road.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by brokedown

I've been searching for the song "Eve of Destruction" to see what it's about, but there's nothing relevant.
Any more detail?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by brokedown

Explanation: Correct! St*r for you and S&F for halfoldman!

Here is evidence to that and more...

Taboo Tunes Gallery of the Forbidden: Music Censorship [tabootunes.com]

Personal Disclosure: Apparently youtube banned people posting Happy Birthday Vids over copyright issues!

youtube Birthday Song Ban: The Party's Over For youtube Fans [bx.businessweek.com]

I'm currently having major troubles with accessing and or playing any youtube vids and so I cannot currently confirm or deny if that story is authentic and I do note that its not attributed to any author! If someone can can do a simple check to confirm one way or the other I would by highly impressed and quite grateful [i.e St*r!].

Edited tabbo into taboo in link. soz

[edit on 24-7-2010 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Thanks for above post - quite a bit going on with the thread moved and all.
Before I forget:
The "Internationale" (so far left it's right):
www.youtube.com...
Nice tune.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by OmegaLogos

Highly interesting links - thanks again, I really learnt something tonight!
As for Youtube, they keep saying that my "browser" is outdated, but I've been told to ignore it as is best possible.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   

I suppose there are other versions, but this is the "Ballad of the green Berets" as it should be:
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   

I'm confused. Are you talking about Skrewdriver and Bound for Glory and bands like that, or...?

In any case, it would depend on which country we're talking about. In America, no. Elsewhere, it would depend on the laws.

Should any music be banned anywhere? No.

TheAssoc.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

Well I wasn't really talking about youth movements or such. Don't know much about the neo-Nazi music and bands.
I was more referring to music that represents larger historical streams.
However, people can bring things in, as they prefer.

In SA a lot of the old white songs and symbols are unpopular, and "banned" in the sense that one will be ostracized for using them.
Yet, there are no white songs about killing blacks and so forth, most of them are about the landscape.
Nelson Mandela on the other hand is a liberal hero, yet he had no issue with singing songs about killing whites:
www.youtube.com...
So I was just wondering about double standards, and how it is in other countries.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
So I was just wondering about double standards, and how it is in other countries.

Gotcha.

Over here in the US, you can write a song about whatever you want. There are morons writing songs about hating pretty much every group of people out there. Kinda pointless, if you ask me, but they have their right to freedom of speech and expression.

ETA:

Originally posted by brokedown
the song Eve of Disaster was banned

I'm scouring Google for confirmation of that and all I can find is your post in this thread. Do you have a source for that information? I'm curious about the circumstances involved. Thanks.

TheAssoc.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by TheAssociate]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman

How else could one describe the fact that one never hears them?

Censored maybe? Just because you don't hear it on the radio doesn't make it a banned song. I'm certain I could go buy it somewhere. If I can't, then that simply means there is not enough interest in that particular song for retailers to carry it. Banned implies illegal. There are no lyrics that are illegal (in the US anyway) thanks to a little thing called the First Amendment.

new topics

top topics

join