It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival wine making

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I have started making my own wine for when the SHTF. I have a lot of other survival stuff, but I thought the ability to make my own wine might pay off when SHTF. I have only made two gallons so far, and haven't tried them yet. I plan on letting them age about a year before trying them. I made honey wine (mead) my first batch and apple wine my second batch. It has been real fun so far and also cheap.

I plan on making wine one gallon at a time until SHTF. I should have quite the assortment of wine by then.

Does anyone on ATS make their own wine?

I would like some ideas / recipes for one gallon batches of wine.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
That is a very smart plan. The ability to make things from the past will be a high-demand skill in the post-shtf world. Don't forget that there will be little wine available then, so you could probably get away with medium or even low quality wine.

I have no advice on recipes or anything of that sort though, but you sound like you are going to survive and prosper ! Good luck to you in the post-shtf world!!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
as Granny Clampett says:

I smell a revenuer comin a mile off !!!!

lol

when did they repeal prohibition ????

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

If I remember right a US citizen can make so much for their self., and not for sail sense 1978.
A single person can make 100 gals. per year.
To the op try making some out of blackberry's or Muscadines now your talkin.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by hillbilly4rent]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Blackberry is the easiest.

Allow 6lbs blackberries to half gallon boiling water and 3lbs sugar (or honey for a mead) to every gallon of juice.

Weigh and wash your blackberries (the riper the better) and put them in a plastic or earthenware bucket

Pour over the boiling water and stir with a wooden spoon to bruise the fruit

Cover with a cloth and leave to stand for 6 days. Give it a stir 2 or 3 times a day.

Skim the scum from the top and strain through cloth.

Measure the juice and return it to the cleaned bucket.

Add the sugar and stir until dissolved

Pour into bottles and leave to ferment without corks

When fermentation is complete, decant into clean bottles and cork them.

Jubbly stuff!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
now you are talkin...

We call it jailhouse.
Jug of Cranberry juice.( any juice but apple will foam a bit.)
bread yeast
sugar
10 days later aprox...
you got mail.
I mean wine...
I'm not normally a wine drinker but, this is not half bad.
And by maintaining a yeast colony you also get bread too...
a little trial and error and you can judge the dryness...

Like the old sourdough miners from the gold rush days.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Danbones]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by teapot
Blackberry is the easiest.

Allow 6lbs blackberries to half gallon boiling water and 3lbs sugar (or honey for a mead) to every gallon of juice.

Weigh and wash your blackberries (the riper the better) and put them in a plastic or earthenware bucket

Pour over the boiling water and stir with a wooden spoon to bruise the fruit

Cover with a cloth and leave to stand for 6 days. Give it a stir 2 or 3 times a day.

Skim the scum from the top and strain through cloth.

Measure the juice and return it to the cleaned bucket.

Add the sugar and stir until dissolved

Pour into bottles and leave to ferment without corks

When fermentation is complete, decant into clean bottles and cork them.

Jubbly stuff!

My mom makes some of the best BB wine Iv ever tasted, but her Muscadines
wine one glass and forget the pepto you'll have the back door trots for a day or two

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
www.ehow.com...

Pour 1 cup water in a saucepan, and place it on a burner set to medium heat. If you are making 5 gallons of wine, you will need 5 cups water.

Step 2
Dissolve 2 tbsp. sugar in the water. The sugar will serve as food for the yeast when it is added. The Joy of Baking says, "the yeast will break it down into its simpler form."

Step 3
Add 1 tsp. bread yeast to the sugar water when it reaches 104 to 109 degrees F, and then turn the burner off.

Step 4
Rest the mixture until it foams (approximately 10 minutes), and then stir it to suspend the yeast. The suspended yeast will settle at the bottom of the mixture.

Step 5
Add the yeast mixture to the unfermented fruit juice, and stir well. Proceed with your wine recipe.

Read more: How to Activate Bread Yeast for Making Wine at Home | eHow.com www.ehow.com...

after taking a cup of juice out of the glass bottle it is in, replace with yeast mix
Cap semi tight but not too tight...

PS
who sed it has to be one or the other...
hemp is the highest alcohol producing plant there is.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
On the subject of booze, you can also purchase/make a distiller. A distiller has the benefits of purifying water as well as making alcohol.

Distiller Concept

How to make a still

For those interested in brewing beer and making wine using kits:

Austin Home Brew

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Asperglar]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Great thread idea!

I havent brewed any beer or mead myself but my brother in law has been making both for over ten years. he has a few bee "Boxes" for his garden to help with pollenation and collects thier honey WIN/WIN.

I dont go in for the mead, its a tad to sweet for my tastes.

Im Moving up to Vermont in the fall when the cabin is finished and plan on taking him up on the offer to help me get started brewing the beer though

I copy and pasted the BB recipie into my word pad and will manually transcribe it into my journal later
thanks for posting it ! I intend to keep checking into this thread to find more little gems like that.

S+F

~meathead

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   

_Birch Wine._ The season for obtaining the liquor from birchtrees is in the latter end of February, or the beginning of March, before the leaves shoot out, and as the sap begins to rise; if the time is delayed the juice will grow too thick to be drawn out. It should be as thin and clear as possible. The method of procuring the juice is by boring holes in the trunk of the tree and fixing faucets of elder; but care should be taken not to tap it in too many places at once, for fear of injuring the tree. If the tree is large it may be bored in 5 or 6 places at once, and bottles are to be placed under the aperture for the sap to flow into. When 4 or 5 galls. have been extracted from different trees cork the bottles very close, and wax them till the wine is to be made, which should be as soon as possible after the sap has been obtained. Boil the sap, and put 4 lbs. of loaf sugar to every gallon, also the peel of a lemon cut thin; then boil it again for nearly an hour, skimming it all the time. Now pour it into a tub and, as soon as it is almost cold, work it with a toast spread with yeast, and let it stand 5 or 6 days, stirring it twice or 3 times each day. Into a cask that will contain it put a lighted brimstone snatch, stop it up till the match is burnt out, and then pour the wine into it, putting the bung lightly in, till it has done working. Bung it very close for about 3 months, and then bottle it. It will be good in a week after it is put into the bottles.

www.publicbookshelf.com...

[Mod Edit: Exchanged quote tags for external tags.

Please read:www.abovetopsecret.com...]

[edit on 2010/7/31 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

I make mine.

I have a 5 gallon water bottle WITH the lid (try to get one without the big hole in the middle)

3-4 gallons of juice (apple or grape).

About a pound of sugar (plain white.

a pack of bread yeast but champagne would be preferable (what ever you got. This is survival yeah?

a 3 or 4 qt pot with a good pour spout (or just a big dipper).

a big stock pot.

some glass water bottles (large ones about 1liter in size)

A plastic tool to stir the pot.

a small juice bottle with about a 1" screw lid. NOT A SNAP ON.

about 4' of new aquarium air line

about the same of 3/8" or 1/2" line from a hardware store.

Plastic clothes hanger

Hand full of zip ties

link   
I made grape wine about 1979 or so using a complicated recipe and all sorts of tubing and corks I had to figure out where to buy. It was disgusting and gave me a headache after a few sips. I threw it out.

THEN

In 1982 or so I came across an extremely simple recipe made in simply a crockpot! Fig wine. It was DONE in about 2 weeks if I remember correctly. It bubbled like champagne, was light and YUMMY and NO headache!

Moral, sometimes the best stuff is the easiest to make.

link   
Ok. Ready.

Take a drill or something and drill a small hole in the top of the 5 gallon bottle lid and several in the juice bottle lid. Make sure that the line is REAL TIGHT on the main water bottle (carboy). The line tightness isn’t as critical on the juice bottle. This will make a gas check. You’ll see.

FIRST RULE. BE CLEAN!

1 to 4 bleach / water for the water bottles/ juice bottle/ pots/ tools. Siphon out via the large clear line. Be careful not to swallow. Bleach is bad for you. After you’ve siphoned enough through both lines, drain the bottles and rinse. Ditto for the air lines.

This keeps bacteria to a minimum.

Construct your lid assembly. Just about 2 or 3 inch’s in is fine on the carboy lid. The other end needs to go through the juice bottle lid almost to the bottom.

When the thing get rolling, it will produce CO2. Its gotta go somewhere and the in the other bottle lets it go without contamination getting in. I would take some heavy duty duct tape and tape it to the side of the carboy. Make sure its dry and tight or it’ll fall off.

Ok.

The wine.

Take 1 bottle of pure juice if you can get it (concord grape is fine).

In the CLEAN pot, pour about a ¼ of the sugar in and the rest juice. Warm it up (don’t boil it!) till the sugar is melted.

Pour it in the carboy.

Repeat till you have about ¾ the bag of sugar gone (you can experiment and figure out what you like).

When the bottle is about nearly full (note how much juice you used so you’ll know how many bottles you’ll need to fill) you should be about 6” from the top or so. Doesn’t matter. 4 qt’s is about all I can get.

Put about ¼ to ½ of the yeast in to get it cranking. Too much and it’ll be too high in alcohol.

Lid that sucker with the gas check assembly, put it in a dark area about 70*F. A basement would be great if you have one. Leave it alone except for the occasional peek.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
A couple of weeks +/- have gone by, you should be bubbling like mad.

When the bubbles stop (about 3-5 weeks) its done.

Get your bottles ready. You did clean the caps too right?

I put it on a counter in the kitchen and put the siphon line in. DON’T SHAKE IT ANY MORE THAN NECESSARY! SILT!!!!

This can be tricky.

A hint would be to get a plastic hanger (NOT METAL OR WOOD) and cut on corner. When you put the hanger BY the bottle, see how far it is to the bottom. Take the siphon line and put it against the hanger and let it go til its about 2” from what would be the bottom. Take this length, zip tie it to the hanger in several places.

Make sure its all clean. It will bite you if you don’t! to much work and time involved!

Put this in the carboy. It should be about where you wanted it. If it touches bottom, adjust it now.

Your now on the floor.

Put a couple of your empties in the stock pot (CLEANED). Have the others sitting near on a towel or something clean.

Siphon into them.

This is tricky. You need to be able to crimp the line at times to stop the flow.

Fill the bottles and it goes quick. A friend would be helpful.

Cap and wait about 6months to a year in the same closet/ basement.

Should be like a desert wine.

Have fun.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trexter Ziam
I made grape wine about 1979 or so using a complicated recipe and all sorts of tubing and corks I had to figure out where to buy. It was disgusting and gave me a headache after a few sips. I threw it out.

THEN

In 1982 or so I came across an extremely simple recipe made in simply a crockpot! Fig wine. It was DONE in about 2 weeks if I remember correctly. It bubbled like champagne, was light and YUMMY and NO headache!

Moral, sometimes the best stuff is the easiest to make.

Tell us the recipe!!!!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by felonius

I wish I could! I can't remember much of it anymore and have looked for my recipe in the past and couldn't find it. I got it out of a rural electric cooperative newspaper.

I think I remember - not to use metal utensils.

Mashing the figs and adding sugar. After three days I had to add more sugar and cover the crockpot. Can't remember if I had to stir or not stir on day 3. Seems the first 3 days it's lightly covered with newspaper to make it dark. I'm sure I misremembered stuff; but, that was the main jest of it. I do remember it was in the center of a table - darkest area of the room I could find.

edit - MAYBE I had to add more figs as well as more sugar on day 3?
===============================================

On another topic - Saki - rice wine. As a teenager, I remember the ditch full of SAKI! A rice truck had overturned. Nature made Saki all by herself.

[edit on 23/7/2010 by Trexter Ziam]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Thanks for all the good ideas so far. I am going to start making strawberry wine in the morning. I think after that batch is done I will try making saki. I hope to eventually upgrade and get a bigger setup.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

Good luck with it

My family has bean making home made hooch for a long time.
I remember when I was 10 my grandpaw took me no a run from Dawsonville Ga
to Cartersville Ga. a rough 40 miles at 80mph at 2:00am

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join