It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N.Korea threatens nuclear retaliation

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aristophrenia
Imagine China carrying out major naval exercises in the Gulf of Mexico - imagine the response !

That's different for two major reasons.
1) China has basically zero trade routes through that area, and
2) China has no close allies in that area.

We are close allies with Japan and South Korea, among others, and rest assured they are not complaining about our navy's presence there... except of course for some of our Japanese bases that probably should have been disbanded by now.

The reason why this is such an issue is not North Korea - this is as mentioned merely a proxy, what is more important is unchallenged US Naval dominance of the region. It is one of, if not the most, important US strategic military position - unfettered dominance of global trade routes and naval supremacy. Thats a fact.

On this point I pretty much agree with you. We are pretty aggressive with our military's global positioning.

China will absolutely be challenging theses exercises - and you can bet your bottom dollar their will be confrontation - more than likely non lethal.

China won't do anything besides maybe watch the exercises with some ships nearby. They have known about these exercises for a long time and have yet to announce any complaints about them. The US has caught China at a rare moment of awkward relations with North Korea, and we are taking advantage of it.

As mentioned by other posters a false flag event is an incredibly likely scenario - and if it occurs would be terrifying in its consequences. China has the capacity now, especially in this region, to utterly overwhelm the united states - stupid, stupid, stupid decision being made and pushed by the Council on Foreign relations - 'Hi Jo Biden'.

The result will be a condemnation of China as an interventionist state, siding with rogue nations etc.

I don't think this is very likely. Nobody in the world knows better than the US that making an enemy out of China would be a very bad idea. They hold a MASSIVE amount of our trade and capital in the palm of their hands. Making them a political enemy would destroy our economy... and attacking them in a war would overextend our military by far. They would be impossible to defeat and I think every military strategist would agree.

Now, I don't know if there might be other reasons for this to be a false flag. But I don't think making China into an enemy is on the agenda... if anything, they might be trying to pressure China into choosing between us and North Korea.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
The funny part is, this story is just like a million others. Nothing will happen from NK. I predict another 30 stories over the next short few years that say the same thing over and over. It is media hype to get more hits.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Doubts surface on North Korea's role in ship sinking
Some in South Korea dispute the official version of events: that a North Korean torpedo ripped apart the Cheonan.

www.latimes.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Lets say Kim wasn't responsible for the Chousan...
No wonder he is doing the Yosemite Sam

Which begs the question why would the proven lier Hitlery say he is responsible...
how does she get out of being caught in a lie?
I miss spoke....ooopsy

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
BBC is reporting this now ...

BBC NEWS LINK

When the BBC reports that a country is going to use a nuclear device on another country... i think the source is pretty sound...

there is the right mix of things going on there for it to get real ugly .. real fast ..

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Could be. I'm on the fence myself about whether or not North Korea actually sank the Cheonan. There are a lot of reasons to suspect otherwise.

However, I don't think their reaction would be much different either way. And this wouldn't be the first time they have killed South Koreans as a political move. Even if they didn't sink the ship, they HAVE done similar crimes in the past as a way to boost their soldiers' morale.

IMO there was no justification for sinking the Cheonan no matter WHO did it. But NK's belligerent response, even IF it were actually "justified" this time, is nonetheless same old, same old.

North Korea is the boy who cried wolf. I don't know if the wolf is real, or who the wolf represents. But one thing's for certain, and that is the world is no longer taking them seriously.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
On Yahoo news now as well..

Associated Press

I know they saber rattle a lot, but I think in this case it is at least slightly more elevated than mere saber rattling..just imho

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Magnus47

No, they have threatened a nuclear attack at least twice this year already.

They threatened the US with nuclear war and to turn South Korea and Seoul into a "lake of fire".. or was it "nuclear fire"?

Either way, this is certainly not their first threat

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
These war games are meant to be a show of force to make N. Korea stop with their provocative actions.

IMHO there are a lot of fishy things to do with the sinking of the S. Korean war ship. Weird stories of 15 mins of automatic weapons fire that turned out to be "a few shots at a flock of birds".

Then there was the fact that US navy war games were taking place not miles from the incident. I wouldn't be surprised if the US sunk the Cheonan ship, and if that is indeed the truth then anything could happen with these war games.

However I highly doubt anything will happen, but I don't deny the possibility

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Nomad451

I just get the feeling its different this time , after the sub incident we are no longer going to except the dog yapping at our heals .. maybe its time to put the old mutt to sleep ..

My fear is the U.S.A / SK and and China response...

how long can you let someone threaten you with nuclear weapons before you say enough and take em out first? days .. months .. years .. we have had years .. what's the next stage?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Nomad451

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. That is a bit of a relief, I'll admit. As much as I know that they're probably saber-rattling again, the thought of nuclear detonations in populated areas is reason enough to take notice. For their own sake and the sake of all other parties involved, I hope North Korea is just doing "business as usual."

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nomad451
Then there was the fact that US navy war games were taking place not miles from the incident. I wouldn't be surprised if the US sunk the Cheonan ship, and if that is indeed the truth then anything could happen with these war games.

Agreed. While there are many reasons to suspect that North Korea really did sink the Cheonan, there are also many reasons to think they didn't. The Wikipedia on it is actually very informative about this. There are four points in particular that make me suspect it was an "accident" by the US navy:

1) As you said, there were navy war games going on nearby at the time of the sinking.

2) The way the ship was split in half is unusual for a torpedo explosion, but NOT unusual for a certain type of underwater mine... coincidentally, like the mines the US Navy WAS planting around the area that day, as part of said navy war games.

3) Apparently the torpedo they "found" at the site of the shipwreck had writing on it, like any torpedo might... except that it had been written on top of an already rusted surface.

4) They keep talking about this "international investigation" that found these results. But who were these people? Apparently, nobody knows. They didn't even sign their names on the documents.

Hopefully this whole thing doesn't backfire. But even if it wasn't North Korea, it already looks like the rest of the world is slowly jumping on the US's bandwagon. Perhaps we'll never know for sure.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnus47

North Korea is the boy who cried wolf. I don't know if the wolf is real, or who the wolf represents. But one thing's for certain, and that is the world is no longer taking them seriously.

Well friend ,sadly you have forgotten the end of that little story !

..........The wolf turned up !

North Korea's stance is not the issue here. It is the American rhetoric that has changed .Hillary's posturing for photo shoots on the neuteral zone . Posing with binoculars in her mansuit pretending to be Rambo !What a joke ! That would be the final straw for me too !
Stop baiting them ! Hillary If you kept your nose in your own backyard you may have caught your old man playing hide the cuban alot earlier !
Case and point .

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnus47

We are close allies with Japan and South Korea, among others, and rest assured they are not complaining about our navy's presence there... except of course for some of our Japanese bases that probably should have been disbanded by now.

Actually you are misinformed. There are MANY Japanese and South Koreans that would like to see the US Military leave their shores. That fact is crucial to understanding the conflict on the peninsula. The "West" needs this ongoing conflict to ensure they are able to maintain their bases. Without this ongoing conflict there would be no justifiable reason to be there.

China is rapidly expanding its sphere of influence within the region. It is all geopolitics and North Korea is a buffer between China and the western supported South.

Western dominant mass media continue to portray Kim Jung-il as a madman and many people lap it up. Here's a picture I took last August at the DMZ Zone, from the North Korean side.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/753cd8f63e53.jpg[/atsimg]

For those of you that have access to RATS you can read my thread entitled "Just back from North Korea". There are more photos from my trip there.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by deessell
Actually you are misinformed. There are MANY Japanese and South Koreans that would like to see the US Military leave their shores. That fact is crucial to understanding the conflict on the peninsula. The "West" needs this ongoing conflict to ensure they are able to maintain their bases. Without this ongoing conflict there would be no justifiable reason to be there.

That's an interesting perspective I hadn't fully considered. But why would it be so crucial to have the bases there? Are there some incredibly vital resources in the area that I'm not aware of?

Western dominant mass media continue to portray Kim Jung-il as a madman and many people lap it up. Here's a picture I took last August at the DMZ Zone, from the North Korean side.

Can I ask you: During your stay in North Korea, were you allowed to go wherever you wanted to in the country? For example could you just take a stroll through any streets you wanted, or rent a car and go to a neighboring village, or visit the farmland?

Depending on your answer of course, I'm inclined to believe - and have also read - that all foreign visitors to North Korea are only allowed to go where the North Korean officials WANT them to go.

Edit: You said your picture is from the DMZ, so my previous question would depend on this: Did you actually go into North Korea during your trip?

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Magnus47]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Imo I think this is of a very serious nature.

Even if NK tested a nuclear weapon during these war games if would have huge implications and could even spark a immediate military response from the US. Anything that is perceived as an attack by NK during these war games could very well start a war.

I have a disturbing feeling that war with NK will happen. China will be forced to sit back and choose a side or abandon NK. China does not want a war with the US anymore than we want a war with China. They will do nothing. Further more, if China would retaliate they would not just be taking on the US. It would be WWIII. Unless China stays out of it, then NK will swallow their tongues.

However, if we do attack NK, retalitory or not they will use nuclear weapons. For 2 simple facts; They are crazy and we would be backing them into a corner, they would have to choice but to go balls out war with the US which will be utter suicide but again they are crazy. Unfortunately it will lead to massive casualties for both sides and the US will be crippled and open to attack if china felt like changing stances. Again this only leads to WWIII.

Im holding my breath to see what happens this weekend, but either way I feel war is just over the horizon. Atleast a major conflict.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Somebody needs to send Kim a translated copy of "The Boy Who Cried Wolf." I guess they don't have the book over in North Korea.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Styki

Nope, they don't. Kim has outlawed his people from owning books. Also newspapers and many other things.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I was just reading about this;

Here is the article

N. Korea threatens ‘physical response’ to U.S. military drills

North Korea threatened Friday to mount a “physical response” to United States’ military drills in the region.

Its government claimed that the exercises with South Korean forces would violate its sovereignty.

The statement came as top American and North Korean diplomats were meeting face-to-face Friday at an Asian security conference.

The North has denied responsibility for the sinking of the Cheonan navy ship that killed 46 Sout Korean sailors, despite an international investigation that found otherwise.

The U.S. and South Korea are demanding an apology from Pyongyang, dooming any prospects of a breakthrough to help ease tensions on the Korean peninsula.

All members of the stalled six-nation talks aimed at ridding the North of its nuclear weapons attended Friday’s meeting in the Vietnamese capital of Hanoi, but there was little hope of a thaw.

ANYWAYS
I dont think the US should be trespassing on their property just so they could play some childish games,

And the US and South Korea wants an apology because they trespassed on North Korea's land?

Who the hell is running our country? A bunch of retards?

The way they are speaking to North Korea seems very childish and hateful,

I think the United States could be allies with all countries without having to claim that they hate the same country that their allies hate,

This whole situation seems very ignorant,

Has the US even tried to speak to North Korea in a loving tolerant peaceful way?
How do they know N.Korea doesn't want peace?
Are they mind readers?
If theyre mind readers tell them to send me an email so we could tour the country and make millions....

Have you guys heard of those stories of high-school shootings,
Where the bullies would pick on some kid every single day,
And then one day the kid shows up with a gun and starts killing everyone in the entire school,

I mean this is reality,
This is how the fate of the world could turn out,

Treat others as you would treat yourself,
With respect and dignity....

Look at it from N.Korea's point of view,
There are 2 countries that hates them,
And they are all lining up at the front door,
With untold amounts of weapons and soldiers,
You would be paranoid about an invasion too!!!!

I think the US needs to go else ware with their games.....

Simple,
"Lets reschedule our games to Fiji Islands instead"
BOOM, World War 3 averted.....

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
IMO, i do believe that Kim will use a nuke, we have put him down laughed at him, and made him out to be a joke. that being said, what would happen if one was used? would we the US and the UN sit back and say,"Why??? " we need to look at this be for any action is taken, or would it be a nuke for a nuke? we are at a time of all times with this, laugh if you must, just more saber rattling, war mongering talk, true but what if, he did use the term "sacred" in his statement, and there are other world news reports coming in RT aljazeera,BBC CNN, as of 8:39 pm mountain time, all say the same thing , BBC said in its report North Korea has the capability of 6 nukes, now do they have the means and ways to use them? and how big are they, is the BBC report accurate. and yes i too have a bad feeling about this.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
How is SK or the US tresspassing on NK? The exercises are carried out in international waters. Yeah those waters happen to be off the NK coast so that they can "see it" but its in international waters nonetheless. NK is crazy....these exercises do not violate their "sovereignty".

And why would you "relaliate" to EXERCISES with a nuke? A little paranoid and overkill if you ask me.

Originally posted by SupremeKnowledge
I was just reading about this;

Here is the article

N. Korea threatens ‘physical response’ to U.S. military drills

North Korea threatened Friday to mount a “physical response” to United States’ military drills in the region.

Its government claimed that the exercises with South Korean forces would violate its sovereignty.

The statement came as top American and North Korean diplomats were meeting face-to-face Friday at an Asian security conference.

The North has denied responsibility for the sinking of the Cheonan navy ship that killed 46 Sout Korean sailors, despite an international investigation that found otherwise.

The U.S. and South Korea are demanding an apology from Pyongyang, dooming any prospects of a breakthrough to help ease tensions on the Korean peninsula.

All members of the stalled six-nation talks aimed at ridding the North of its nuclear weapons attended Friday’s meeting in the Vietnamese capital of Hanoi, but there was little hope of a thaw.

ANYWAYS
I dont think the US should be trespassing on their property just so they could play some childish games,

And the US and South Korea wants an apology because they trespassed on North Korea's land?

Who the hell is running our country? A bunch of retards?

The way they are speaking to North Korea seems very childish and hateful,

I think the United States could be allies with all countries without having to claim that they hate the same country that their allies hate,

This whole situation seems very ignorant,

Has the US even tried to speak to North Korea in a loving tolerant peaceful way?
How do they know N.Korea doesn't want peace?
Are they mind readers?
If theyre mind readers tell them to send me an email so we could tour the country and make millions....

Have you guys heard of those stories of high-school shootings,
Where the bullies would pick on some kid every single day,
And then one day the kid shows up with a gun and starts killing everyone in the entire school,

I mean this is reality,
This is how the fate of the world could turn out,

Treat others as you would treat yourself,
With respect and dignity....

Look at it from N.Korea's point of view,
There are 2 countries that hates them,
And they are all lining up at the front door,
With untold amounts of weapons and soldiers,
You would be paranoid about an invasion too!!!!

I think the US needs to go else ware with their games.....

Simple,
"Lets reschedule our games to Fiji Islands instead"
BOOM, World War 3 averted.....

[edit on 23-7-2010 by princeofpeace]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join