It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Pieces Together Most Accurate Map of Mars Ever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
NASA Pieces Together Most Accurate Map of Mars

news.blogs.cnn.com...

After eight years of observations and compiling close to 21,000 images, NASA said Friday that it has constructed what it claims to be the most accurate global map Mars.

"The map lays the framework for global studies of properties such as the mineral composition and physical nature of the surface materials," said NASA scientist Jeffrey Plaut.

The map was put together from images from a camera that takes "pictures" by using infrared measurements of temperatures, called the Thermal Emission Imaging System (THEMIS), aboard NASA’s Mars Odyssey spacecraft. Using 10 filters, THEMIS can generate colored images.

The images were then smoothed, matched, blended and mapped to create a giant mosaic of the planet. The map allows users to zoom in as close enough so that the smallest surface details are 330 feet wide...

Link to NASA press release with photo links:

RELEASE : 10-176 NASA Spacecraft Camera Yields Most Accurate Mars Map Ever
www.nasa.gov...

Mars Global Data Sets
www.mars.asu.edu...

[edit on 7/23/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

[edit on 7/23/2010 by this_is_who_we_are]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The map link says too much traffic to access page but I wonder if they re-captured the Cydonia region. If so, was it revealed this time around?

I noticed NASA's feature has J.D. Harrington. Is that the same late John Harrington who 'knows' about Planet X?

Can't wait to see this and how much stuff they air-brushed out!

Edit add: Whoops. It was Robert Harrington. Carry on..............

[edit on 23-7-2010 by One Moment]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by One Moment

The normal map link is still down, but the full size image links work. I'm downloading the tile (all 693mb) of it that should have Cydonia, although it's going to take about an hour at this rate.

Tthe whole Cydonia thing is a wee bit weird. I'm not convinced one way or the other as to the whole Martian pyramid/geometry ideas, but this map will surely shed more light on it? No doubt if it doesn't then people will scream "image manipulation!!" and a whole new conspiracy theory will start. Remember everyone, we were here first!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by eightfold

You're going to have to convert it from .pgm to .jpeg or .bmp or something. I tried downloading a program to do that, but I coudn't figure out how to use it and hastily gave up. Hope to see the image you're downloading.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Found these but there are over a thousand total...

Intriguing to say the least......
Nice find and I look forward to scanning thru these!

Peace

[edit on 23-7-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I just read about this, and was hoping someone had posted the link. Thanks!
I look forward to seeing some intriguing pictures after some of the hardcore enthusiasts comb through the map.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Their interactive map server is back up.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

NASA telling and showing us the "true" Mars....FORGEDDABOUTIT.

Where's Richard Hoagland when you need him.

Cydonia huh, well Hoagland did expose NASA for what they really are.

I think his "Dark Mission" was, sorry is, one of the best ET/UFO books that has ever been written.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by downunderET]

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

That's a little confusing, I think I see photos from two or three different missions in your post.

I would like to point that this may be the most accurate map of Mars because they have enough photos to make a full (or almost) coverage at a resolution that's much better than the previous one, the higher the resolution the more time it takes to make a full coverage.

I will try to see that site, I haven't been able to do it yet.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by eightfold
Tthe whole Cydonia thing is a wee bit weird. I'm not convinced one way or the other as to the whole Martian pyramid/geometry ideas, but this map will surely shed more light on it?
I don't think so, the resolution is very low (100 metres per pixel).

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

You can use Irfanview, it's free and it works.

You can then convert the images to the format you want.

posted on Jul, 25 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by eightfold
Tthe whole Cydonia thing is a wee bit weird. I'm not convinced one way or the other as to the whole Martian pyramid/geometry ideas, but this map will surely shed more light on it?

As I was expecting, the resolution is too low for seeing anything interesting.
(for those that may not recognise it, that's the "face")
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/0d582c0f7eb8f89a.jpg[/atsimg]

top topics

join