It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Heroes vs. the Westboro Baptist Church

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
reply to post by SpectreDC

You know i always thought the Bible had it wrong when it said "the meek shall inherit the Earth". Surely the translation should be "the GEEK will inherit the earth".

GEEK POWER!

I LOVE that 'translation' of the verse, but in this case it fits perfectly!
I'm a geek, nerd, whatever, damn proud to admit it, and this was epic!!
As to the person that says FP aint evil: when someone protests over a soldier's funeral, then SUES the father of a deceased marine for protesting THEIR protest, I'd say thats pretty damn scummy and as far as i am concerned, this man is an EVIL, HATEFUL PERSON

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
The Westboro Baptist Church craves attention, and I'm sorry they get it. Instead, I imagine a world where everyone ignores vermin like that and they shrivel up into themselves and live happily ever after...and so do we.

WRONG!
THey are all LAWYERS, yes lawyers each and every one of the adults, looking to provoke a lawsuit against municipalities for failing to protect their civil"rights". YEs they make actual money doing this
IT's not a church it's a business with a church front, for tax purposes.
This is just cynical destructive game playing for profit, nothing more.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   
SUPER-KEWL, boys and girls!!!
Having been to many "worldcons" (Where geeks, go to "hook-up"), I can appreciate the scene!! Just wish I had been there!!
I met BOTH my Lesbian Lover (of 20 years!), AND my part-time hubby, there!!
It IS refreshing, to be surrounded, by people with IQ's ABOVE room temp!!
Plus, ANYTIME, you get to bust the chops, of some ultra-religous freak, good times!!

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Patriotgal
SUPER-KEWL, boys and girls!!!
Having been to many "worldcons" (Where geeks, go to "hook-up"), I can appreciate the scene!! Just wish I had been there!!
I met BOTH my Lesbian Lover (of 20 years!), AND my part-time hubby, there!!
It IS refreshing, to be surrounded, by people with IQ's ABOVE room temp!!
Plus, ANYTIME, you get to bust the chops, of some ultra-religous freak, good times!!

Which ultrareligious freak would that be baybi? With your super hot IQ tell me how you equate an organized church with a intentionally devious group with a philosophy at absolute odds with any written christian doctrine? If you believe anything youre told, please let me be the first to tell you send me all your money so I can save the whales
If I say I'm a lesbian trapped in a mans body am I a for real dyke now?

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   
The word Buffoon comes to mind, concerning our given right of free speech when it is used to harm others mentally as this group of indwellers seems to be well qualified. When their day of reckoning comes and they face whatever Deity they accept as their God. I hope they have their shoes on tight. Because I get a feeling they might have this overwelming urge to RUN..... "Who's sorry Now"
I AM Suohhen

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Suohhen

Their diety is cash, only cash,and this is just more evidence that the legal system exists to strip money from non-lawyers. Perhaps you dont get it yet. By no stretch of the imagination should intentionally offensive behavior be allowed as freedom of speech,and if it must be allowed it should never be rewarded. But it is and it does.
WE are all now simply feeder fish for the amusement of the officers of the court and their govt enablers, if you take time to look around, they are the rulers and the overrulers, and fear of their attention and wrath keeps us in our 'place'

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Some of those signs were hilarious (How do magnets work!).

In all seriousness for a moment I really do feel bad for the kids who are a unwilling part of the SBC clan as their parents force it upon them. They will never be able to lead a normal life when your carrying a mantra that everyone except your select group are going to heaven.

The SBC doesn't obviously believe in the "love thy neighbor" commandment.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by Darkrunner

You make your life's work increasing the suffering of people that are already suffering?

Actually he started out doing tons of good things and bringing justice to black folks of whom no one else would take their cases.

Phelps earned a law degree from Washburn University in 1962, and founded the Phelps Chartered law firm in 1964.[citation needed] The first notable cases were related to civil rights. "I systematically brought down the Jim Crow laws of this town," he says.[13] Phelps' daughter was quoted as saying, "We took on the Jim Crow establishment, and Kansas did not take that sitting down. They used to shoot our car windows out, screaming we were 'n-word' lovers," and that the Phelps law firm made up one-third of the state's federal docket of civil rights cases.

Phelps took cases on behalf of African American clients alleging racial discrimination by school systems, and a predominantly black American Legion post which had been raided by police, alleging racially based police abuse.[citation needed] Phelps' law firm obtained settlements for some clients.[17] Phelps also sued then-President Ronald Reagan over Reagan's appointment of a U.S. ambassador to the Vatican, alleging this violated separation of church and state.

en.wikipedia.org...

And the CNN article
"'Most-hated,' anti-gay preacher once fought for civil rights"
www.cnn.com...

Before you condemn someone blindly simply because you disagree with them on some issue, at least do the smallest bit of research on them.

The guy clearly isn't as bad as everyone paints him as. He has never hurt anyone's civil liberties. Sure disagree with him all you want, that's your right. Just understand he is not 100% evil like is commonly portrayed.

He has done many good things for folks who were treated extremely unfairly, and played an EXTREMELY important role in the civil rights movement by having the guts to stand up to the KKK at the threat of death.

IMHO, Phelps is a 50-50. Yin Yang type. He does as much good as he does bad lol.

He clearly stood up to defend the rights of black Americans and he stood up to defend 'separation of church and state', two wins.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by muzzleflash]

I don't give a # what he did. I don't give a fat # if was Mother Theresa in a past life

If I had a son or daughter in the military that was KIA and Phelps and company showed up to increase the misery of everyone there, Phelps would be in ICU.

And the world would be a better place for it.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by Darkrunner]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
What a great story!! I really like those counter signs those of my kin did!
Thats right I am a Nerd/geek type o person..
And I just really enjoyed this thread!
I have done some past workings on bringing a little bit of light to the phelps camp when they first started their little outings on the troops, and other folks..
But found in the end.. They are best left alone, ignored, or just laughed at!
Many of you have it right! Phelps was a lawyer! He sent all his grandkids (daughters) through law school!
They try to make people hate them, inturn lash out.. Then sue them for large amounts of money to keep their little church going.

Now for the some fun facts!
Fred Phelps use to be a normal minister of a Bapist church.. He and his family lived near a park.. Where he would take his grandkids, and other kids to go play at the park..
Well the park was full of gay men, who where going into the woods, and doing stuff with eachother thinking they where hiding.
Well Phelps noticed what was going, and he said that him and his kids where exposed to this on countless times.
He tried to say something to the city about it, and they would do nothing about this "gay" infestation at his local park..
And thats when most of his crazy stuff started.. He took up arms, and took it into his own hands.. And thats what set Fred Phelps into this crazy mode that he is in now.
But honestly.. This guy has always been a brimestone and fire kinda preacher.. Who has always hated everyone, including himself...
Crazy world we live in.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
*shudder*.. I just looked up this man on an image search. Scary how much he looks like the "Tall Man" from the Phantasm series.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join