It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How I got off the grid. You can too!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+75 more 
posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
This is sort of a part 2 to my last thread Bartering www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is a story about myself I am a mother from NYC, I had no type of survival skills, never worried about anything, I rarely saw trees for that matter. After 9-11, NY became a place of uncertainty, worry, and fear.

I decided to move to a place that I had been to years before, and gave it a try. I got online and looked for the newspaper of the place I wanted to go. I then called local owners selling homes to find what was right for me.

I found a home that was reasonably priced, and made arrangements. I had already saved $2000, thats all I had to my name. When I spoke on the phone with the man that was selling the home, I told him I lived 1600 miles away, and was unable to see it, I wondered if he had pictures that I could see.

After seeing a 2 story 3bd home with a back yard, I knew this was it. I asked what he wanted for it, and he said he was doing rent with the option to buy. I couldn't believe it, so I jumped on the chance, and asked how much. He said $400.00 down and $450 a month. I told him I would call in a week.

Within that week I looked through the newspapers for possible employment, I called every utility company, to find out if they had down payments, and every area school, to find out what was required for enrollment, also I had no vehicle (didn't really know how to drive), so I had to find out if there was any transportation in the town.

Jobs, though scarce, were good, allot of factories around here, so I knew that if I had too, there would be work one form or another. Though I was a caterer in NY, I didn't know if my food would make it here, I'm Puerto Rican, and I didn't know how that type of menu would go over in the mid west. So I called back and asked him what I needed to get this home. He said The down payment and the first months rent.

I faxed him the info, sent a western union money order of $850, and he faxed the rent to own lease. This happened in a week, and I still had to get the utilities turned on, and worry about transportation from NY to the Mid west. I still had $1250 left.

The down payments for the water, phone, and electric came out to $250. Now I still had a grand left over. Now to worry about my things, my kids, my friends, my job, and my transportation out.

So I threw a party for both my children and I, it was great, everyone was proud that I was making such a move, but sad I was leaving. We ate, talked, cried, and reminisced. Before everyone left, I asked a select few of my friends to return the following day, I wanted to discuss something with them.

When they returned I told them that I couldn't take everything with me, and I need to sell all my stuff, washer, fridge, stove, air, bed, etc,. and asked if they were interested. The good part was that I wanted none of the money now! I wanted them to pay for it in installments so that if for some reason money became tight I always had another option. They were happy about me not rushing, so it was easier for me to sell my things and not deflect from the value.

Now transportation to the mid west. I knew of a program set up by the Salvation Army (this is available in every state) that would help with a one time ticket anywhere in the U.S. (for free), all you had to do was provide the information of where you were going, with proof of course, which I had (the lease), and my tickets (for a family of 6) was in my hand 3 days later.

My friends gave me suitcases, and I took all that we could, and friends came by to take us the the Greyhound, and said goodbye to NYC.

When I got here to the Mid west, we didn't get here till 3 am, and it took us about 27 hrs, we had prepared food for the trip, and drank at the bus stops. When we got here we could barely see anything, and the bus leaves you in the middle of no where (I didn't know that ), so we had to call the local police (not 911), and they referred us to a cab company that would take us, and that charge was $50 bucks.

We drove to the home in excitement, when we got out, it looked like a mansion (we never really seen to many beautiful homes with backyards, and the key was in the mailbox. The lights, water and phone was already on (I had already paid for everything).

We looked around, and we were home. In case you were wondering how we furnished the place. Well remember I had about a grand left over, so before I got there I also called to find out if they had any salvation armies in the area, and in fact they had 3, so I called a daytime cab company (which was a mini-van), and bought beds, bedding, cookware, a t.v., toiletries, etc, all, and I mean all for about $450.

Since then (that was 5 yrs ago), I have bought a mobile home in the country, real country, I have 2 acres of land, I grow my own food, have a creek behind me, no water bills, no rent to pay, I home school, I go to town about 2 times a month, and I live a happy life where I owe no one I work for myself (Ill explain that in a min) and I am off the official grid.

But how do I make money? Well, I live between 2 farms, besides the small garden that I have I offer any services I may have to the farm, such as picking things up, they are elderly, from town, or buying fresh eggs from them, in which they give me anything that they have to much of, which could be anything from meats, to veggies.

There is also a pantry in town, and I offer services to them for delivering to elderly or disabled people who may not be able to get things for themselves, and on the weekends they give me whatever they cannot keep over the weekend, and boy that adds up to allot, so food shopping is not an issue for me, and I'm helping my community.

With all of the extra I cook food and sell it to local factory workers, yup, I make good home cooked meals with the extra I get from helping others, to provide electric, phone, and internet here. I'm known around here for not just food, but helping. I have managed in 5 yrs to turn my despair of the world, into my own sanctuary.

I came from the violent streets of the Bronx, and now I talk to farmers, own my own home, and help people, that before this I don't know what would have happened.

The moral of this story is, YOU CAN DO IT TOO!, people all over the place, never truly think they can do something like this. I am here to tell you, that if you want to YOU CAN! I have played the scenario for you, to show that this is a place that is (continue)

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

There are services available to help, you just have to know where to look. Look into a place where you can afford to live, yes I know moving could be hard, but the outcome is the most fulfilling. I no longer worry about the streets, or the what - ifs.

I hope that this story of real life survival will help those that are on the fence about doing it themselves, about being stuck, your only as stuck as you want to be.

If anyone wants any information about any of these programs, U2U me and I will do what I can.

This may sound impossible, but I know that if I can have a garden and grew up in the South Bronx Projects, then anyone can do ANYTHING!!!

Peace to you all...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Awesome!!

I have a question though.. are you a Freeman-on-the-land?

It sounds like you are living like one but you didn't mention anything about it.
Leaving the city and moving to the country is one thing but did you do anything with regards to your "registration to the state" is what i'm getting at i guess.

peace!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

WOW...
Are you my neighbor?.....kiddin...

Thats a great story, and I like it , but off the grid...not really..

When you put a water wheel in that creek and make your own electricity, get totally rid of power lines....
Get a PO box and pull up your mail box...using an ID from a local pubs stack of fakes, to get your PO box...you get the idea..

I like your post though...seems to be good for you...
I just thought when I read "Off the Grid" I was gonna see someone that was ....off the real grid...
Far enough to have a small tattoo, for identification purposes, known by family and friends only..

TY for a less than, doom and gloom though....star for effort if nothing else

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

Thank you for that question. As a matter of fact, when I decided to really get off the grid I knew that as long as I kept to myself, signed the paper work for my home and land, as quietly, BTW I signed everything as a freeman , and of course, no one bothered to notice, that if there was ever a time for me to stand up, and keep my land due to any unforeseen authority, that everything that I have signed for wasn't under my corporate name. Ms. XXXXX but as Ms. Xxxx, also I have made sure that if at anytime, I was to be called into court for any reason, that my paper work, signature, and information is under the sovereignty of myself as a free person.

I am currently in the process of filing my UCC-1 documents to make sure that all of the properties I own, including myself, will be within my rights to be a freeman on MY land.

Also, I have learned how to represent myself in most situations that may call for myself being called into any situation that would try to tread on my rights, the rights of my pursuit of happiness, and my rights to be free.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Holiday

This is all a work in progress, but the thread is to give some hope on the advantages, that can come about, not fearing that your stuck, and that there is NO way out. There is. I have come along way, and I talk to people that still think that this was luck.

NO WAY, this is about determination, and the true wanting to be a free person, with happiness as your reward.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Hey that was pretty inspirational!

I enjoyed reading your story and i wish i had the guts to do the same thing - but i havent.

You took a gamble, and it paid off. But what if you had taken this step and your new life was a nightmare?

I suppose you will never find out if you dont do it though.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Thanks for both an informative and inspirational post NRE! I did not know about the Salvation Army ticket provision. You have laid out a plan that is practical in achieving and kudos to you for digging in and making the most of it.
Best wishes to you and your family,
spec

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Loved the story. I think I'm going to get up and do something with my life now. Thank you..

[edit on 23-7-2010 by h1satsu]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Silver Star

Don't think for one second I thought this was really going to work out. I was terrified, but I knew that if I didn't get out of NY, it would be even worse out there. BTW before I moved out here I did check everything first, I called about 50 people, to make sure, I even asked for the local low income housing program for an application, just in case, that was already filled out, and ready to be mailed.

I knew that if I covered all my bases and had 3 or 4 different plans ready, I would be less scared.

Never think that you don't have the guts, you do, and when you believe in yourself, and know that failure is not an option, then everything will come into place. Plan, plan, plan, that was my true driving force, besides the fact that I knew that it wasn't just about me, but my family.
Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Thank you, its weird that they have all of these programs that no one knows about. If you go to your blue pages in the phone book, there's about 50 programs that will help you do anything, and btw, if you really want to know about a certain area, but aren't sure if its right for you, you can call the city/town, and ask to be mailed any info from the Chamber of Commerce, they have EVERYTHING you will need to know, with current numbers, and even free things you can get and coupons for everything, in case you decided to move there.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by h1satsu

You are so very welcome. I really do hope that this will help people to realize that fear, is the worst thing when you are trying to change your life.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   

And i've just read your other thread, the "part 1" to this story.

Im starting to ask myself some difficult questions!

I think i have become a bit too comfortable and cozy.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Wow. Congratulations on your bravery and success. I'm one that fantasizes about such things.

So when you asked the homeowner what he needed for you to move into the house, was there a credit approval process or credit check? Thanks.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Also as an added incentive I would like to post the freeman/straw-man information that also helped me to know that my decision to start getting off the grid was correct.

This is for easy reference, and to help with anything that you may look into for the future, but wanted to make sure that it is YOURS!!!!! Knowing that you cannot lose, in a venture that you may worry about, this could help with your decision.

www.cyberclass.net...

www.natural-person.ca...

For financial questions.
www.natural-person.ca/pdf/mary_croft pdf

Peace to you...

(edit to show link as pdf)

[edit on Tue Aug 3 2010 by Jbird]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by lel1111

There was no need for a credit check, mostly because its a small town, but also because I went with the owners and not a Realtor. I wanted to talk to someone directly, instead of someone working for a commission.

Most people are not so cynical, especially those outside of the Metropolitan areas. Allot of people are just in as much need as you, and will work with you.

Peace to you...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
what a great and encouraging play by play.

i myself have been on the fence about doing the same thing, i would love nothing more than to be relieved of societies woes, and just take care of myself.

its a very intimidating venture, specially when your coming from a very urbanized environment like you and myself included (Oakland,CA)

i wouldnt know where to start, though now i have an general idea! i would also love to be apart of this freeman thing, but it also seems a bit intimidating and complicated.

but for someone like myself who does not have much and has never even really been anywhere else, i cant think of a more awsome turn to take. i would run away and never look back

your living the dream, congrats to you, i hope to be right there with you someday.

thanks for the encouragement on this topic, for some of us its much needed.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LurkerMan

You are so welcome. For all of those people that say that the freeman thing is hard.. its is, but when you go further, and further into it, it begins to anger you, because we see how we have been fooled, but as you go on, it inspires you, to know that the only thing this society has given to them from us, can be easily taken away.

We all began to play a game, most of us don't know about it, but when you realize that, when we bought into the game, that those that wanted us to remain slaves, left the rules in the box.

Finding out about being truly sovereign is the only way to really begin to see that when this type of information is in your hand, if you to choose to ignore it, then it is simply your choice to do so.

Peace to you.. and good luck

BTW the links I posted above, are VERY easy to understand. Written by laymen for laymen. I will also try to link some videos.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Thanks for your answers, I hope you don't mind all the questions. What about health and dental for you and your children? Thanks again.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Here are some videos that may help with the research.

Jordan Maxwell on Occult Law Property

Meet Your Strawman!

Peace to you...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join