It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over 5,000 anti-school bookmarks found in books at libraries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Over 5,000 anti-school bookmarks found in books at libraries

www.datelinezero.com

In New Hampshire, thousands of bookmarks with information on The School Sucks Project and Free Domain Radio were found in library books at libraries in Dover, Portsmouth and at the University of New Hampshire. The books were carefully selected. Topics hit were political science, history, and philosophy books, as well as in books in the teen section.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.schoolsucksproject.com

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
School Sucks Project seems to be a worthy cause, trying to point out that indoctrination-mill that is the public school system. And what better way to gain some quick visibility than pull off a stunt like this. Hope it pays off for them.

I did add a link to School Sucks in the "additional news links" section.

Pretty cool to see organized efforts to question the system. But I wonder if there are less expensive ways than 5,000 book marks -- geezus.

www.datelinezero.com

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I haven't had that good of a laugh in a long time. I went to the "Schook Sucks" website. How stupid can you get. Bookmarks!!

If the premise of the site is true, how can people read the bookmarks or why would they be reading at all?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499
I haven't had that good of a laugh in a long time. I went to the "Schook Sucks" website. How stupid can you get. Bookmarks!!

If the premise of the site is true, how can people read the bookmarks or why would they be reading at all?

This is about as bad as the "Stop Global Warming" parka I saw a few years ago.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

A stop the global warming parka ... now that is funny

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I think, though, that the criticism of the group is that the government school system is nothing more than a government propaganda mill, handicaps critical thought, and is a poor investment of the public's money.

They don't seem to be stating that government school don't teach reading.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

I think the point is that it is everyones RIGHT to have an educated mind, ie, be able to read and write and a general understanding of selected topics.

But, for example, here in the UK your children have the right to education, but it is a legal requirement that they go to school (unless home educated). The parents can face fines and/or imprisonment if your children fail to attend school.

So, your kids are going to school, but what they learn may not actually be of any benefit to them. I'm sure that many schools still teach that Cristopher Columbus discovered America and that King Arthur had a round table and Robin hood lived in Sherwood forest and fought the Sherrif of Notingham. All of which are untrue.

You've also got religious education in schools too. IMO, it is not for the school to teach my kids religion, It is for the family to do that, and it should also not be forced down their throats in order to scare them into believing in a certain god.

Being taught does not mean you are being educated. Being forced by law to go to school does not ensure your kids are getting the best form of education that suits each individual child.

I hated school from day one. It was mindless nonsense for me. Have never needed the three exam grades I obtained. After I had done one exam at CSE level, I was informed I could have done O level instead.. gee, thanks for that really late bit of info, teacher...

I know one child who is extremely good with a guitar and she is only 6 and never had a lesson.. just sits and plucks the strings happily. Her enthusiasm for the guitar is astonishing, but I bet the school she attends does not teach people how to play the guitar. So, why not?

Because they have to teach the mind numbing control and obedience and uniformity, forcing the 'work as a team' issue. No real place for full personal freedom of expression or recognition.

School does suck...big time.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Nice. I was raised and trained to learn on my own, not to be indoctrinated by either people or a system. That's really the key difference between leaders and followers.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mother1138

School Sucks Project seems to be a worthy cause, trying to point out that indoctrination-mill that is the public school system. And what better way to gain some quick visibility than pull off a stunt like this. Hope it pays off for them.

Pretty cool to see organized efforts to question the system. But I wonder if there are less expensive ways than 5,000 book marks -- geezus.

www.datelinezero.com

haha, far more likely the program is to dumb down the dummies even further to public servant zombie status. If it were to get people to think, theyd put the info in videogame boxes.
Clearly the childish approach is that what they want to know is enough edjumacation and gets in the way of chillin' and blunts. The rest can be obtained by regular cash infusions from mummie and daddy

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

yeah i guess you missed the point, since you obviously can only learn how to read in school, and school is the only place where you're allowed to read books. /s

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by mordant1

Originally posted by mother1138

www.datelinezero.com

haha, far more likely the program is to dumb down the dummies even further to public servant zombie status. If it were to get people to think, theyd put the info in videogame boxes.
Clearly the childish approach is that what they want to know is enough edjumacation and gets in the way of chillin' and blunts. The rest can be obtained by regular cash infusions from mummie and daddy

no, they wouldn't care about the kids who actually don't care about school. they want the intellectual giants and rogue minds--helping those who are willin to help themselves. this isn't an excuse to not go to school or learn... what the hell, read about what the topic is about before you reply.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by shagreen heart
yeah i guess you missed the point, since you obviously can only learn how to read in school

That's pathetic thinking. It's like saying you can only learn how to use a gun if you join the army. People who live in isolated communities with minimal school support tend to be MUCH smarter than people who come from cities with high-end education.

Education has little to do with school programs, its all about the individual, their purpose in life and their interests in learning. Forcing everyone to go through the same standard cookie-cutter system is WRONG and destroys potential. Hell, usually the people with any real potential end up getting kicked out of school because they realise what a joke it really is.

The best way to go in education is to simply give students a choice in what they study and focus on giving them whatever they need to learn as much as possible in that field. Otherwise it is all wasted potential.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

I for once have to agree with you, kids exposed to reality integrate better ino real life than those raised on unrealistic theories of political correctness. There's book larning, and life larnin and often they have no relation to one another. In the end, reality always wins out

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I notice it mentions "Free Doman Radio" (which is actually spelled "Freedomain Radio." This is a controversial internet messageboard and virtual "community" based around the writings and podcasts of the site's owner, Stefan Molyneux. The site has been called an "internet cult," which Molyneux denies.

Freedomain radio has been in the news befor, most famously for allegedly encouraging children to cut all ties with their parents and families.

Articles --

"The mother and son torn apart by web 'cult' that destroys families"
women.timesonline.co.uk...

"A fearful mother reveals: The internet cult that stole my son":
www.religionnewsblog.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Originally posted by shagreen heart
yeah i guess you missed the point, since you obviously can only learn how to read in school

That's pathetic thinking. It's like saying you can only learn how to use a gun if you join the army. People who live in isolated communities with minimal school support tend to be MUCH smarter than people who come from cities with high-end education.

Education has little to do with school programs, its all about the individual, their purpose in life and their interests in learning. Forcing everyone to go through the same standard cookie-cutter system is WRONG and destroys potential. Hell, usually the people with any real potential end up getting kicked out of school because they realise what a joke it really is.

The best way to go in education is to simply give students a choice in what they study and focus on giving them whatever they need to learn as much as possible in that field. Otherwise it is all wasted potential.

i was being completely facetious... that's what the /s meant, as in /sarcasm, or /end sarcasm, a nerdy way to say i was being sarcastic.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   
reply to post by shagreen heart

My mistake then, but at the same time people are lead to believe that government-standard institutions are the only way to raise children. I have personally battled it out with my highschool administration because I was too advanced to be in their system, but even though I somehow graduated they ended up winning by destroying my reputation and priviledges on a federal level.

Point is, if you have a strong sense to fight the system in highschool, then you better be prepared to fight the system for the rest of your life.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:51 AM
link   
The value of education is obvious to anyone. Nobody anonymously spends their money to get people to do the right thing, the money is spent to get people to do the wrong thing or urge them to give up control of themselves for other to shepherd them away from the obvious. One cant become self sufficient submerged in groupthink.
THere are no govt's that want free thinkers other than those that are so anarchic that they provide a license for govt to oppress the rest.
Life has certain rules, no amount of free thinking will change them or the results of ignoring the rules.
The basic rule is to provide for yourself and take responsibility for yourself, or steal from those that do. The second rule is that most people are too feeble minded and feeble willed to chose the first of the two choices and are left to rationalize why they steal instead of create.

new topics

top topics

join