It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Oil Rig Alarm Was Not Fully Turned On", Worker Says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   

www.nytimes.com

KENNER, La. — The emergency alarm on the Deepwater Horizon was not fully activated on the day the oil rig caught fire and exploded, triggering the massive spill in the Gulf of Mexico, a rig worker on Friday told a government panel investigating the accident.

The worker, Mike Williams, chief electronics technician aboard the Transocean rig, said the general safety alarm was habitually set to “inhibited” to avoid waking up the crew with late-night sirens.

“They did not want people woke up at 3 a.m. from false alarms,” Mr. Williams told the federal panel of investigators in this
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:19 PM
link   
You should read the rest of the testimony so far as reported in this article. I am sure I will not be the only one to point out the criminal negligence brought up by these astounding whistle-blowers. Many had concerns long before the fateful day that sunk the deep water horizon.

I hope this does not turn out to be another hop scotch macabre dog and pony show for the public like the JFK or 9/11 commission.

We need to remain vigilant in spreading the truth.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Well well, who is really surprised? I mean no one wants to get woke up at 3 am, particularly if you work at a place considered to be one of the most dangerous jobs in the world, caged in steel, surrounded by explosive materials, where your mere life depends on the limited square feet of platform separating you from the sea. Nahhh, let's "inhibit" the actual sound/alarm part of the, what's that thing called? Oh yea, an ALARM!
< Sarcasm off >
This was so avoidable it seems, and these guys were following orders so I want to follow the trail upward into the ranks of power, corporate and Govnmt, to determine whose and whys, even though I know it comes down to money and greed at some point..,..same as it ever was.
I was hoping I would not be hearing of such simple neglect as a major reason for the explosion. What a tragedy...

Edit To Add:

[edit on 23-7-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by IbcBen

...seconds before a bullet from a sniper went through his brain.

Sorry I was just imagining how BP felt like responding to that comment.

This was hinted at right after the whole thing started I thought. But not surprised by it either way.
It's just one more tick in the "horrendous screw up" column.

[edit on 23/7/2010 by Chamberf=6]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
How is it, oil companies reaping such huge profits, yet they couldn't keep up maintenance on what was supposed to be the world's most advanced oil rig?

From what I have read, it seems that the Deep Water Horizon was ran on a shoe string maintenance budget. All kinds of things were bypassed.

Deregulation, ain't it beautiful.

edit to add another link.

www.washingtonpost.com...

[edit on 23-7-2010 by poet1b]

new topics

top topics

join