It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where the money is going that we the people are paying for.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Congress' Food Tab: $604,000 for Bottled Water, $152 at Quiznos
(July 21) -- Crave ribs? Bagels and coffee or doughnuts? Seafood, subs or Chinese? So does Congress!

House members spent part of their Members Representational Allowances on these items -- and more -- during the nine-month period between late 2009 and early 2010 covered by the Sunlight Foundation's House Expenditure Reports Database. The info is highly enlightening, revealing, for instance, the popularity of Chantilly Donut's sinkers; what it costs to feed hungry congressional pages; and how lucrative it can be to own a part of the cottage industry of keeping our duly elected representatives fed and well hydrated.
According to the documents, one company in particular raked in the taxpayer dough: CapitolHost. At least 61 legislators and 20 congressional offices used the catering service, to the tune of about $169,143. But that's only the tip of the iceberg salad, as you'll see below.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
When you consider how much the average congressman makes, in these hard economic times, along with the fact that the pages and other staff have a job, and are paid, with full bennifits when so many have none, the question is why is the tax dollars of the country going to feed these people? Where is the oversight that would prevent this kind of abuse, bringing up memories of when the pentagon was over spending on items that would run a normal person alot less. I find that this is sickening and disheartening, as it shows the blantant disreguard for the country that they are suppose to be governing. This kind of money mismanagement should have never been allowed to happen. When I was a manager, I was told what I could and could not spend the company money on, and knowing that to violate the rules of that company and mismanaging their money, I would be fired and or possibly go to jail. I believe that the congress needs to be sent a message that this kind of abuse of authority and mismanagement should no longer be allowed to continue.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
What a stupid waste of time post - you post how a few measly dollars get used by congress, yet overlook the trillions stolen by the banks? The trillions used to bomb and kill people around the world, the trillions used to convert the US in a police and security state?

Let the stupid congress have their cake - if they were useful, it would mean nothing - but they are sending trillions to the scum who do nothing but create misery.

Sorry - this post has missed the mark - thumbs down.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Amagnon

The issue is that this is indicative of system problems. People in positions of power feeling that they are 'owed'. They make enough money, they should be feeding themselves on their own dime. We the taxpayers are not responsible for anything more than their salaries and the equipment needed for them to do their jobs,... of which eating at a Wolfgang Puck restaurant is not.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Thank you for your consideration and taking the time to post. It helped me focus some thought on the subject of where our money goes.

435 members of the house, $6,000 each = $2.6 million

9 months = ~180 work days = ~$33 per day

$6k for discretionary spend is pretty low. When at I worked at the world's largest online travel site the CIO alone had a larger discretionary for an organization 1/3 the size mentioned above.

trillions on a war that no citizen ever requested is worth some anger.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
They should pay for their own damn food and water.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Simple remedy, if you voted them in, vote them OUT in November.

I must agree, this post does highlight the fact that politicians DO abuse their entitlements, but I think you guys should be focusing on the defence budget, guns, rockets and fighter jets are a lot more expensive than donuts.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by downunderET

I've been voting them "out" for 30 years
see how well that works?

[edit on 7/24/2010 by ~Lucidity]

new topics

top topics

join