It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran now says 'kidnapped' N-scientist a double agent

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Iran now says 'kidnapped' N-scientist a double agent

timesofindia.indi atimes.com

TEHRAN: Iran fired a new salvo in what is becoming a bizarre propaganda war over the supposed defection and later return of an Iranian nuclear scientist, with Iran's semiofficial media suggesting that he was a covert operative who had provided "valuable information" about the Central Intelligence Agency's inner workings.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
WOW this is interesting.

The CIA claims he was their agent giving them information for years in regards to Iranian nuclear activities.

While Iran claims he was a double agent who was sent to gain more knowledge in regards to CIA operations.

If this was a double agent, it is a huge blow for CIA. If he wasn't, I wonder what information was provided to the CIA.

"This was an intelligence war between the CIA and us, which was planned and managed by Iran," said an unidentified source cited by Fars. The person referred to as a source said Amiri had begun working with Iranian agents as soon as they were able to contact him this year, providing a list of other Iranians whom the CIA intended to abduct and other information.

"He never had access to American intelligence information," said an American official.

timesofindia.indi atimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Shahram Amiri simply changed his mind and went back to Iran. The CIA paid him $5 million for the information he provided and now they can't decide if Amiri was a double agent, or just crazy - he was reported to have exhibited somewhat bizarre behavior right from the outset.

This guy is one of a group of Iranian spies that the CIA has smuggled out of Iran in the past year, often as a result of their discovery by the Iranian authorities and the obvious consequences that would otherwise have entailed for them.

The CIA initially believed Amiri to be credible, but admit now that they may have been duped, and he could in fact be a double agent.

Personally, I suspect that the guy is simply disturbed and really did pass genuinely useful information to the US, later deciding to flee back to Iran for whatever reason that deranged people do deranged things. So to the Iranians he is simply a traitor, but they avoided any undue embarrassment by claiming that he was kidnapped by the CIA.

Either way, his life expectancy is very low, and it's easy to blame his inevitable demise on the US whenever the mullahs decide to pull the plug on him.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
It's funny how you can see such contrasting stories from either side of this media war.

On the US side you have;

American officials have said that the scientist, Shahram Amiri, was a CIA informant for years, providing "significant" information about Iran's nuclear program and voluntarily defecting to the United States in 2009.

Whereas on the Iran side;

Amiri returned to Iran last week, saying he had been abducted and tortured by American authorities.

This is the video of Shahram Amiri where he describes his ordeal in a webcam interview. YT video has English subtitles. He says he was kidnapped by the Americans & verifies Iran's side of the story.

Interesting to note he says he is in Arizona at the time of the webcam interview.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I wonder if the CIA had a feeling this man was not trustworthy and gave him info that wouldn't do Iran any good. If he was a double agent what kind of secrets could this man have gotten. I would imagine the CIA wouldn't show someone from another country the way the CIA works. Especially from Iran. Even if you defect from there I would bet he still has family there. Maybe he went back to keep his family safe. I don't think he would have gotten any info on us that could hurt us. They should be smarter than that I hope.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h
I wonder if the CIA had a feeling this man was not trustworthy and gave him info that wouldn't do Iran any good. If he was a double agent what kind of secrets could this man have gotten. I would imagine the CIA wouldn't show someone from another country the way the CIA works. Especially from Iran. Even if you defect from there I would bet he still has family there. Maybe he went back to keep his family safe. I don't think he would have gotten any info on us that could hurt us. They should be smarter than that I hope.

Just understand how the CIA operates is valuable information, hence, how did the CIA pick him up, where was he taken, what type of information was asked, and if he was tortured, what torture techniques were used etc.

These are important informations which can be used by Iranian intelligence agency to counter CIA operations.

new topics

top topics

join