It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guédelon Modern Medieval Masterpiece

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Guédelon Modern Medieval Masterpiece

Guédelon, living history; a reallife exploration of medieval castle building in thirteenth centaury France. Michel Guyot, owner and restorer of Saint-Fargeau castle in Yonne, is the man behind this idée folle.

How the castle will look when completed.

Guédelon is a field of experimental archaeology - a kind of open-air laboratory.
The aim is to recreate the site organization and the construction processes that might have existed on an early 13th century building site. Unlike traditional archaeology, which is concerned with cataloguing, excavating and analysing an existing structure, experimental archaeology puts this process into reverse. A structure is built from start to finish in order to obtain, following experiments and observations, a set of conclusive results.

Guédelon is a back-to-front archaeological dig.

How exciting that in today’s day and age the money and passion can be found to recreate using only the building techniques and technology of the time one of the greatest symbols of medieval majesty; the castle. This is my first post and an exciting one at that for those of us interested in the medieval period.

Take a look at the place.

Source

posted on Aug, 26 2010 @ 01:52 PM
link   
MAN! I want one...

That's truly awesome. Thanks for the thread
I always thought that would be pretty awesome. Just to build a castle like what existed way back in the day. I understand they have very purposeful research in motion from building this castle but I would build it just to live in (that's just me) but again...totally awesome.

posted on Aug, 27 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
yup, that's true. awesome enough

posted on Aug, 28 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
S&F for your first post! It has been my dream for decades to build and live in a castle. This is pretty danged awesome!

/Q

new topics

top topics

join