It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The future is another country

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:22 AM
link   

Despite its giant population, Facebook is not quite a sovereign state—but it is beginning to look and act like one

THE world's largest social network announced that it had reached 500m members on Wednesday July 21st. If Facebook were a physical nation, it would now be the third-most populous on earth. And if the service continues to grow as rapidly as in the three months to July, it will reach one billion in about 15 months—almost the size of India. Not least because of its gigantic population, some observers have started to talk of Facebook in terms of a country. “[It] is a device that allows people to get together and control their own destiny, much like our nation-state,” says David Post, a law professor at Temple University, Philadelphia.

Source

I think this article is VERY interesting.

It highlights just how powerful these cyber communities have become, or at least the people who own and run them. I think it says a lot when the British Prime Minister, wanting a few tips from somebody who could tell him how it felt to be responsible for, and accountable to, many millions of people, calls Mark Zuckerberg, the founder and boss of Facebook for advice.

Although many ATS'ers dislike Facebook for various reasons this article does go to show how important our internet freedoms are, with the very thought of censorship being catastrophic to so many communities - just like the one on ATS.

Yes, it might be a bit premature to call social networking sites like Facebook a legitimate 'nation', but if the governments of the world were to pull the plug on Facebook tomorrow I wonder where peoples loyalties would lie?

[edit on 23/7/10 by LiveForever8]

new topics

join