It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am one of the "parasites" on unemployment benefit who is draining your income

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Wave
reply to post by AllIsOne

Well done! A positive post and you deserve it (though personnaly for me, leave out the prayer and chanting bit!)

Seriously, a great message for others.

Peace!

Thank you! I appreciate your comment.

Sorry for offending your religious/spiritual sensitivity, but the "prayer and chanting bit" is the essence of my post. It's not meant to be a religious hook of any kind. But I know that the "spiritual fabric" is more real than the "everyday-reality" that we perceive. You have to imagine "it" before it will manifest.

Best!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13
reply to post by nite owl

Sorry missed that, but if that's the case he should have had a larger security blanket. Also if it's that bad I heard McDonald's is hiring and always is, and since he has manager experience he could have a job there in a week, they are always looking for managers.
HAVE YOU EVER, seen that episode on t.v where a couple tried to make it on jobs like that? dishwashing, fast food joints, and so forth. WELL ANYWAYS, they struggled at first, but was able to sustain themselves till one of them had to go to the doctor and the other to the dentist. well needless to say, they failed and went into debt. When you have nothing to begin with, and you have no good job, when are you going to be able to so called, save for when this happens? Especially when two people get sick or have to go to the dentist or something like that or a family member dies and you left with the cremation costs. The people on the show failled misserably with a dishwasher job and working at mCdonalds. Come on dude, GET A GRIP. HAVE you considered what you are going to do with your savings if your family has none when a family member dies. COME ON DUDE, life throws us a curve ball sometimes. IT HAPPENS.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by nite owl
reply to post by Muckster

I agree, and not only that, temp. services are looking for people who have exsperience 2 years or more. well , what is all of us unemployed supposed to do, go back to school, for some job that will take the company a lousy week to train you. COME ON, here. WE NEED A JOB NOW, NOT A YEAR FROM NOW. TEMP SERV. S#. AND THEY TAKE 3 DOLLARS AN HOUR OFF, WHAT YOU SHOULD BE GETTING. I'm a technician in plastics and do processing, i'm still looking for work.
2 YEARS EXSPERIENCE, FOR JANITOR JOB. COME ON HERE. How much exsperience do you need to clean a toilet, or vacumn a carpet. WELL, I HAVE NEVER STRIPPED A FLOOR. BUT come on, how hard is it to train me to do this? NO , YOU NEED TO GO TO SCHOOL, or exsperience 2 years. THIS IS REDICULOUS. Jobs should have on them, will train you. COME ON HERE PEOPLE, OK , WERE THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL. But this does not mean we cannot get trained and are not good workers. COME ON HERE. If you buisnesses are waiting for people with exsperience, THEY ARE GONE AND HIRED, it is just us left. LETS GO , HIRE ME, ILL BE A JANITOR. The job was for 12 an hour start and I even had a temp. service tell me that i could not get this job because she told me. "ARE YOU REALLY GOING TO STAY HERE FOR 6 MONTHS OR MORE?", do you have 2 yrs. exsperience?", I said yes.
SHE did not believe me because i use to make 20.79 an hour when my company went overseas. She would not give me the janitor job, i wanted. THAT PSSST ME OFFF SO BAD.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by nite owl]
AND SPEAKING OF CURVE BALLS

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

She has exhausted her benefits twice. She did qualify, in Florida everyone qualifies. She went through the initial term, then she received the first extension, and now she will receive this extension. It will also be backdated to last payment, so she will be receiving approximately $2500 on the first check, and then weekly checks for 99 weeks according to the most recently passed extension.

I know it is unbelievable. And I have read the same statutes. I am a hiring manager for the State of Florida. I have contested many claims. Many people do not appeal, but if they do appeal, they get their benefits. No matter how much they do not deserve them.

In the case of my mother, she applied, her employer did not contest, and she started receiving benefits immediately. It was a Convenience store. She was a cashier for about 5 months. She has already gotten almost a year of unemployment, and now she will be getting more.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I dont have a problem with hard working people who need a hand being on benefits.

What i draw the line and where it pisses me off is when these "hard working" people can go a year or more on the same benefits, milking the system, refusing to find a real job because they are "Above working there"

Screw that, if there's a job opening, you better take it. IF you feel its beneath you, then why the HELL should I Have to continue to work so you don't have to?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
sorry to hear that mate, all I can offer is you should apply at a large corporation or bank. It'll suck but it's good pay.

or you can become self-employed. do it while it's still humanely possible.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

They don't seem to understand that on this thread?

The benefits and social programs are terrific.....temporarily. People often need a hand getting back on their feet. BUT a year or two down the road, they need to get off the teet and back to work!!!!!!!!

Extensions on top of extensions are only delaying the inevitable. The economy is doomed anyway. Let it fall, pick up the pieces and move on. Why keep shoveling crap under it to prop it up? Just makes that fall that much crappier when it happens!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   

You are not draining my income, mate. And you are not doing anything wrong. The system is collapsing anyway and maybe you are doing us all a favour...

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Stateless Person]

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Stateless Person]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

Hi,

No offence taken! Still a great post!

Think positive and life will be positive - think negative and life will be negative.

I realise it sounds trite but it is real.

Peace!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Sounds like a "story" to me

You are in charge of your own reality. Tell yourself a different story.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by spiritualgirl
Sounds like a "story" to me

You are in charge of your own reality. Tell yourself a different story.
I WILL BE a multi billionair with a 100 miles of land all around me, with several maids to do my bidding ,while i travel the globe and take luxurious trips to the space station and see earth as it is. IS THIS BEFORE OR AFTER I WIN THE LOTTERY?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by spiritualgirl

Are you responding to my post or whom?

Peace!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Dude you get a grip, surviving on a fry boys salary might be one thing but this man has MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE! So he wouldn't be making minimum wage he'd be starting quite a bit higher. Your defending someone that you have ZERO idea of how they actually spent their money and if so if they spent it foolishly or not. I'm not saying # doesn't happen and things don't get hard but I'm tired of this "O POOR FING ME ATTITUDE!", know one can remedy that situation but the man himself and if he's not willing to work a # job in order to "GET BACK ON TRACK!", then he's worthless to me. Also McD's offers healthcare and dental for employees employed after 6 months, your probably gonna say "How could they ever afford the family plan on that wage?", in response I'll say I didn't have the kids for them... they did.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Snarf

There is actually a psychological term for that, but i can't seem to remember it. They did a study and it showed that many long term unemployed people tend to overvalue their skills which leads to them thinking they are simply too good for certain jobs while people working mediocre jobs tend to undervalue their skills. Of course i am on disability benefits so i cannot talk, but i found it interesting and was very accurate imo.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Solomons]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by spiritualgirl

I absolutely agree I can't stand that people won't take responsibility for whats happening in front of them. Things get bad, things get worse, but they also get better especially if you think they will. I can't stand this poor me attitude and the people that find this acceptable.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by NoJoker13]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I think people have a tendency to want to throw the baby out with the bathwater. You have some people who exploit the system, so you should just get rid of the system. It makes NO sense, but it's a very emotional argument.

In both the short and long run, unemployment benefits make sense. People almost always spend that money immediately on groceries, rent/mortgage, utilities, etc. which infuses it into the economy. Without it, you end up with people going into foreclosure and losing their homes and at this point, they're not putting ANYTHING back into the economy.

And this country (US) has always been about trying to look out for the little guy. The people who are barely hanging on STILL give to people who have less. The only people I seem to be hearing from about how the unemployed are moochers, or parasites, are those people that are well off and have no reason to ever worry about a paycheck. It sickens me that people like that are the very vocal minority that are causing so much attention to be brought to them that they're obscuring the real reasons we even have unemployment benefits.

We're in the middle of a recession. Spending is important during a recession otherwise, without money going back into the economy, we go into a depression. If no one wants to spend, no one makes money. If you don't make money you lose jobs and have to tighten your belt. Deficits are good during a recession...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Sorry to hear about your situation, man. I am also unemployed, except that I didn't become this way from any economic situation. I got shown the door after I decided to clear the air with my boss. You see, there was a little tension in the office over some stuff (not serious stuff) and the best way to get past it is to talk it out and get to the root of the misunderstanding, right? Not with this guy. He's passive-aggressive. He took my air-clearing talk personally, so being my superior, he decided to show me but good. I'm actually relieved that I don't work for that asshat anymore because he is the worst manager I have ever worked under.

So how humiliating is THAT?

Now I am drawing unemployment and getting interviews here and there, but so far - nothing. I think it's either because I've made too much in the past, or I am overqualified for the jobs I am going after.

The thing is, it's an employer's market, and I'm sure it's the same in the UK. The employers can pick and choose, and get someone for a much lower rate because you have younger people with fewer living expenses willing to work for less. That, and employers discriminate during the interview process. That's the one time they can get away with it. Too old? Next. Too young? Next. Too _______? Next.

Not to discourage you, but I get the feeling that you have to learn to be self-sufficient. Find a way to employ yourself, make money without having to depend on someone else to provide for you. I think you've realized that, too. That's what I'm doing.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13

Dude you get a grip, surviving on a fry boys salary might be one thing but this man has MANAGEMENT EXPERIENCE! So he wouldn't be making minimum wage he'd be starting quite a bit higher. Your defending someone that you have ZERO idea of how they actually spent their money and if so if they spent it foolishly or not. I'm not saying # doesn't happen and things don't get hard but I'm tired of this "O POOR FING ME ATTITUDE!", know one can remedy that situation but the man himself and if he's not willing to work a # job in order to "GET BACK ON TRACK!", then he's worthless to me. Also McD's offers healthcare and dental for employees employed after 6 months, your probably gonna say "How could they ever afford the family plan on that wage?", in response I'll say I didn't have the kids for them... they did.

Not sure about all of them but where I am unless your mgmt exp is in food service they aren't interested.

A friend tried to go to work as waitress (did that as a teen) but since she doesn't have "recent" experience they told her no way. She isn't even 30 yet.

I'm not saying that jobs aren't there. It's just that it is a lot harder this time around. There are so many people looking at so few jobs employers can ask for whatever they want as far as experience.

I have management experience too but when I've applied even for asst mgr positions they aren't interested because my mgt exp wasn't in the industry the job is in so they don't consider me qualifed.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

First of all Muckster, heads up for being so honest and up front with us, and I will admit that I have posted on this forum highlighting those who I believe are taking advantage of the social security system in this country, but reading your story, you are not taking advantage of the support the state should be giving you.

I seem that people like you, who are not wanting to work the system are let down by a system that now sees everyone on benefit as to quote the thread title "parasites"

And the shocking thing, I do not think your story is a one off, and it goes to show that Governments have been failing the decent people who have paid in to the system and expected the system to support them when they needed it.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
As I understood, you didn't stop trying to find a job, so for me you are not a parasite.

It will be different if you spend all day watching tv and drinking beer while we work. That is a parasite.

Did you try to get any third shift job. Most of the people doesn't like to work at nights and weekends, that will increase your chances a bit.

I really wish you can find a job brother.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join