It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am one of the "parasites" on unemployment benefit who is draining your income

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
What would this country be without the social service! Thank god you have unemployment insurance to fall back on. New York would be like Lagos and full of shanty towns and crime like has never been seen. Thank god for the social services, they have made this country what it is today.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Pack up and move to Texas. I fired a guy last week for the same kind of crappola you did, he filed for unemployment (of course), we sent a letter detailing the offenses, they turned him down.
I had only written him up once, but I noted all of his offenses to date and made him sign it.
The counties north AND south of Austin are in the top ten for job growth in the country. West of Austin is hill country wine trails and the highland lake chain.
Lots of wide open spaces and get 'er done types.
Of course, we have our deadbeats. But racism is not a problem in central Texas. (East Texas, yes.)
So yea Brits, you know where to go now, and yea Floridians too.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   

In this day and age, your advice is completely irrelevant to the true problem my generation is facing.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
When I was made redundant I didn't qualify for benefits (after the first 6 months), but kept looking for work at the local job centre.

What a joke. Every fortnight I had to go in with a form stating what I had done to look for work. Looked on internet, looked in newspapers, looked at the small ads in the local shop etc.

What I'd really like to know is why weren't the bloody idiots who are supposed to be running the country hauled up before the unemployed every fortnight to explain why there are no jobs available.

Don't anyone feel bad about claiming whatever money they can get in benefits. As long as it's in your pockets and you're feeding your kids with it, drinking it, smoking it or wasting on the lottery the rotten ptb can't spend it on illegal invasions of foreign countries or any other of the evil and hare-brained schemes they think up.

As for the staff in the job centre - after about eighteen months even they lost the will for the charade and hardly asked me about my efforts to find a job.

One day, I walked out without signing the form I was supposed to sign. I'd got a little way up the road and my mobile phone rang. The woman who'd just seen me wanted me to go back to sign it. So I went back, walked up to her desk and found her asking me who I was and how could she help me. I'd been away from her for less than ten minutes and she didn't even recognise me.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by berenike]

link   
I say this over and over again...

Get a gig.

All the time you spend sending out resumes to revive your past; instead:

Paint your neighbours house. Contract your neighbours lawn mowing for the season. Build a deck. Swap a transmission. Set up a web page.

Work for cash; under the table, unlicensed. Be honest with your customers, be fair and be affordable... in and out contracts that make others happy and keep you afloat.

Get past "demoralizing". Get past being a "manager of 25".

Get on with redefining yourself in the new economy.

You can't expect to "get a job" in a contracting economy; that paradigm is not available right now.

GET A GIG.

"to work your are entitled, never its fruit" -Bhagavad Gita

Sri Oracle

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Sri Oracle]

link   
reply to post by Stewie

I love Austin! Visited it briefly a couple of times. I spent a whole lot of time in Houston, Dallas, Grapevine though.

I would love to move there. My wife is steadfast against leaving Tallahassee, otherwise I would be there already. Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri. Those are my first choice of states. I do like Florida though.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Visitor2012

In this day and age, your advice is completely irrelevant to the true problem my generation is facing.

Tell me more. I am intrigued?

I would love to be able to help. I work for the State Government, I advise University students, and my brother is a high school teacher. If you can give me some insight, maybe we can help each other be more effective.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by contraband
The only thing I dislike about Social Security is that there is alot of people on it that shouldn't be. For example, I know of at least half a dozen people that is drawing a monthly check for disability when there is no reason they can't work. Here, almost anyone with a willing doctor who takes it to court about 2 times can get on it.

So you think maybe we should stop picking on the 'unemployed' and demonise those on 'disability' instead?

Well I have a terrible confession to make. Muckster might be a 'parasite' living on unemployment benefit, but I'm one of the real pariahs who has been on Incapacity Benefit for the last 5 years. And as everybody knows, the IB racket is just a scam, a lifestyle choice made by those of us who are too idle to work and in cahoots with our corrupt doctors. I keep reading about that in all the newspapers, so it must be true.

As if being an IB scrounger isn't bad enough, I have the audacity to do so on the grounds of mental health issues, acute anxiety and severe depression, and we all know that's just an excuse for bone idlesness don't we? Our politicians certainly do as they're specifically targetting IB claimants who are depression cases. I know, I know, I should just pull myself together and get a job.

Every few months I get paperwork to fill out about my claim, a 30-40 page bookful, and then an appointment to see the govenment-appointed doctor for a thorough checking out. I don't know how the hell these people I read about manage to fiddle the system, all I know is that I have to justify my case repeatedly and regularly, to independant doctors. My own GP and psychiatrists aren't involved, so even if they were 'willing' it wouldn't help.

Actually I had a great job until I lost it following my 'breakdown'. I'm 58 now and I've worked almost every year of my life. I was in my last post for 12 years, as a Senior lab technician in education, running a suite of 10 labs and 3 other technicians.

I won't describe my 'lost' year at rock bottom when the depression was in full sway, but after another year of medication, daily therapy and counselling I began to rebuild my life.

Became a volunteer classroom assistant at my local primary school and then later took on a paid role there as dining room assistant (I'm allowed to earn £20 a week without it jeopardising my benefits of £80 a week + rent). Just an hour a day but to be honest it's as much as I can manage. I get exhausted and short of breath very easily and found out why a couple of years ago, when I was diagnosed with blood circulation and pulmonary disease (COPD).

Last Friday morning I couldn't make it into work as I'd woken up at 4am fighting for breath, my inhalers weren't helping and by 9am I had to concede defeat and ring in sick. Felt guilty about it, thanks to the 'benefit scrounger' label I feel I wear. Monday morning I thought I'd be OKish and set out, but collapsed outside a neighbours. Ambulanced off to hospital it turned out I'd had a collapsed lung since Thursday night. Back home now but worrying I might not be able to return to work again when term starts in September.

So please don't believe everything you read about scroungers on disability.

Remember woodwardjnr's observation -

Benefit fraud costs the UK 1 billion a year compared to tax evaision which costs the country 15 billion a year, but how often do we hear about that.

To the OP and others who are fit and looking for work - hang in there, it won't be forever. As George Harrison sang "All Things Must Pass"

To those of you in good health - cherish it.

To those of you in work - count yourselves fortunate and please don't despise the rest of us.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
The people who say move to find a job aren't considering all that entails. We moved over 1000 miles from the failing steel industry outside of Chicago. Having decent running vehicles is a must for the cross country trek. If you're carrying all your worldly goods, family etc. expect to be on the road longer than you first thought. You'll be bleeding money the whole time even if you eat out of the cooler and sleep in the car.

Then once you get to your new home you'll be spending money like there's no tomorrow on deposits for utilities/housing. After 30 days of residency the local cops will start on you about license plates/tags/registration/drivers license. It's all got to be changed over, there are fees and they keep going up. If you don't do it the fines can be heavy and they will eventually tow your car.

In the mean time you're still spending money to live/eat and you'll be lucky if you've found a job yet. The kids always seem to get sick or hurt with all the moving around. Then you've got to get them enrolled in school etc. It goes on and on. The only reason we made it was we had no debt and we moved to an area with a low cost of living. We sold most of our belongings before we left and had some savings. I can tell you it went fast luckily we found jobs the first month albeit low paying jobs but at least it paid the bills.

Even in the small town near us jobs are bleeding out. City workers who've had good jobs for 20 years or more are being laid off. The local prison closed which left a lot of people SOL. Many had relocated for those prison jobs and now they're stuck here. So what we're left with are some service/minimum wage jobs. Keep in mind the newer arrivals aren't the first choice when locals are available. Think long and hard about moving, do some research. My hubby made a trip out here 6 mo. before we actually moved.

Right now the only thing saving my area is senior services. Many do home health care etc. That money comes from state funds. When that dries up it's going to be bad for both the workers and the seniors. What many people forget is a good percentage of those on unemployment were working and paying bills no problem a year or so ago. They would still be hard at it if their jobs hadn't disappeared. Even when people were working with the cost of everything most lived paycheck to paycheck. If you manage to put something back it's almost a guarantee that the car will need tires or whatever.

If a measly unemployment check will keep your head above water for a time take it. The reason people feel only fat, lazy people get assistance is because that's what they've seen. We're now in a unique position where people who once worked everyday of their lives are now in need of help. Well guess what the system isn't designed for working people. In fact it doesn't welcome them at all. Social services is more suspicious of someone who has worked. In their mind it's possible your working under the table. They would rather enroll a lazy a$$. They're easier/cheaper to keep tabs on. So the unemployed worker gets slammed from both sides. Society looks down on them and the programs set up to help those in need don't work for those willing to help themselves.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Wow... I must say i am overwhelmed by the responses...

All of the kind words of encouragement and u2u's, i have received from most people, has really lifted my heart...

Thank You!!!

I am just sorry that i can’t reply to you all individually...

Just to make one point clear to some... i have in no way given up!!!

That’s not my style... and even if i wanted to give up i couldn’t... my mortgage protection doesn’t last forever and i have three kids to feed.

Someone mentioned voluntary work... that’s a great idea and one that i am currently looking into by contacting an animal sanctuary that i sometimes visit with my family... I will happily help them out and, you never know, it may open some doors...

Big big thanks again...

Peace

Muckster

Oh... with regards to moving location to find a job... i have a daughter from a previous relationship who i see every weekend... I simply cannot and will not ever leave her... It would break her (and my) heart!

I have no problem with a long commute but will not move to another part of the country that is far from my daughter!

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Come on go push a used lawnmower to make ends meet, while the corrupt bastards on wall street continue to sell drugs to kids. This generation is so lazy

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs." ~ Thomas Jefferson (attributed)

It isn't because people are lazy or bums, this system is designed to do exactly what it is doing for a reason...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Morningglory

I understand it is not easy, but it is not impossible either. You have to want out bad enough.

"Freedom is another word for nothing left to lose" Janis Joplin.

Plan.
Get everyone around the table and make a plan. Is everybody working to make it happen?
Take a bus to your area of choice. Visit a few churches. Many churches in Texas have made plans to temporarily house and feed displaced people, believe it or not. Job hunt. Fill your notebook with all relevant information. Take your bus back home. Now you know what it will take.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

reply to post by arpanet

For those that cannot, or will not move or leave your area. I understand, but that is still a "choice." An understandable choice, but please do not ask me to supply the tax dollars to support your personal decision to stay there.

As for "the government and big corporate greed are the problem." You are correct, but what does that have to do with 1 person? Sure, they are the problem, they are hoarding the money, they are manipulating the market, they are shipping jobs overseas. OK, I get that. But if I am unemployed, I cannot change the government or the corporate greed. I can only look out for myself. So it is really irrelavent to my situation.

However, you bring up a good point. SO, if you truly believe that you are qualified and intelligent and an innocent victim of government and corporate greed. You are unemployed and have a lot of time on your hands. SO, hit the political trail! Start raising funds. Campaigning on behalf of yourself and others in like conditions. Change the system! If you are on unemployment, then you have freetime and an income from the government. PUT THAT TIME AND MONEY TO WORK! Change the system!!

I'm sure there will be 1000 excuses why an unemployed person that professes to be intelligent and articulate and well-qualified and a victim of their situation is also unable to fight that very system. Excuses are easy to predict. Solutions are a little harder!

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

Originally posted by Visitor2012

Tell me more. I am intrigued?

I would love to be able to help. I work for the State Government, I advise University students, and my brother is a high school teacher. If you can give me some insight, maybe we can help each other be more effective.

I used to run a multimillion dollar company, I've worked hard labor, and I've had a ton of technical jobs, consulting and contract work. So I know all about hustling for a buck.

Before we can be more effective, we have to know the battlefield we're fighting on. Genocide and Robbery. Do you have any helpful advice as to how my generation can fight that? Any advice on how we can stop your generation from stealing all of our money and hopes? Is there any way you can speak to your generation and tell them to stop killing us and raping our dreams and efforts?

Now THAT i'd like to hear. Because so far, all I hear is how weak we are and how much we should be ashamed of ourselves for not keeping up with the heart attack pace YOUR generation help perpetuate.

If you can give me some advice on that, then perhaps I can pass that on to the next generation who will have to deal with MY generation's lack of balls to fight the criminals that are attempting to enslave humanity.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by nite owl
I think i should start my own cleanning buisness and show them all, WHO IS BOSS. I will underbid them all. I CAN BE A JANITOR. I will start with commercial buildings first. That TEMP. SERVICE, REALLY GOT MY GOAT.

This is what I am doing. My office was closed last September due to my boss' "problems" from which he died last October. I don't blame him but it has put a considerable kink in my life.

I've applied for every level of job you can find since then. I was in an insurance office. I've applied for retail, landscaping, lake management that was "will train" and I love the outdoors. I've had two interviews. One for 8 hours a week at $8 an hour and one at a large retailer's warehouse as quality control. Didn't get either. Two reasons, age and prior salary level. I hear all the time about them being afraid to hire me as they think I will leave if someone offers me more money. BTW as far as I know they still haven't filled the position.

I've tried to convince that I am happy to take a cut in pay for working closer to home (used to commuting up to 60 miles a day) and for benefits (currently no insurance - can't wait to pay that fine at tax time). Corporations don't care. I really think the key problem for me is age and they use any other excuse to not hire me.

Most of my applications and resumes don't even get a response.

Therefore, I decided to start my own business - cleaning, maintenance and minor repairs. So far I've gotten 2 residential customers on a regular basis and a commercial customer on an as needed basis. I have a bid into the commercial customer for the job on a permanent basis - just waiting for "corporate" to decide on who gets the bid.

Have cashed in all retirement accounts and sold some assets to keep ourselves afloat. Am also doing part time bartending for $7 an hour plus tips. Do some cooking/selling meals at the same bar a couple days a week to try to make ends meet. Doesn't make much but we do a clear some above expenses.

I've also dug ditches and laid drainage line for a one shot customer. I'm a female btw - but my hand still fits a shovel and my age hasn't prevented my digging ditches.

We unemployed are not all lazy moochers. Just need a chance that most are not willing to give.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13

I hear the military always has plenty of openings. Whether it's your cup of tea or not it's still a job so tell me another one. Also you can get licensing for other jobs free from the military, another problem solved.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by NoJoker13]

That might work for some but, in case you aren't aware, the military has a top age limit so a lot of us don't have that option.

Just in case it wasn't two lines.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TXTriker

5 years from now, you'll be telling us how you've started a dog Sh$%t scooping business. Then 5 years after that, you'll probably start a company picking up the dead people who couldn't afford a burial. Then 5 years after that, maybe you can start a business, repossessing people's beds and furniture to pay off their mandatory health insurance premiums.

Like vultures, living off the dead. Meanwhile the "Eagles" live the good life with their claws on your throat.

No thanks. No more"business' for me. I am being attacked by this country and it's poisons and traitors. What job is going to solve that problem?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Hi Muckster,

I haven't read through the 6 pages of posts yet. I only read your post and I can just say that I know where you are, and I agree with you. I was out of work for 2 years 3 months. I just recently was able to find work, at a 50% pay cut.

I know what you are talking about. People have no clue what it is like. "Get a job, stop being a loser, go to McDonalds and get a job" etc etc etc. They don't base their comments on reality. Even my own parents would say dumb things like "go apply to 7-11". I DID! People were not hiring. People still aren't hiring. It is only by sheer luck that I got the job I am at now, and after all is said and done, with taxes, health insurance and child support coming out, I go home with 70% less of my paycheck. I still can't make ends meet.

There are too many people out there who throw the word "lazy" around. I would really love for them to have to live one week as an unemployed person to see how it truly feels.

I would say the great majority of people who are out of work right now would LOVE to have a job, so they can put food on the table, keep a roof over their heads and clothes on their childrens backs. Sure, there are some who milk the system. But in this current crisis, it is extremely unfair and sad to call someone a parasite for being unemployed. We didn't do this to ourselves.

As a programmer, I have seen not only my own jobs but many of my friends jobs outsourced overseas.

I used to make a good amount of money ($60k to $90k in NYS isn't living it up but it got me by). Now I am making half of that, because most companies in NY just outsource overseas to people who work for $100 a week. Is that fair? Are we really the parasites? Or is it the corporations who have bleed us dry and now are moving on, leaving us all behind??

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoJoker13

I hear the military always has plenty of openings. Whether it's your cup of tea or not it's still a job so tell me another one. Also you can get licensing for other jobs free from the military, another problem solved.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by NoJoker13]

Now that's the final nail in the coffin for ya'. Join the military industrial complex, and hope you don't have to murder people.

Come on, you people honestly think a job is going to solve our problems? This is just the beginning.

If you guys want to work 5 jobs to pay for a roof and a block of cheese, go for it. But mark my words, if nobody stops these criminals...you're going to be working 15 jobs for a cardboard shack and rice.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Hi Muckster.
I Know exactly how you feel.

A lot of people lable the jobless ''down and outs'' etc, with-out a thought about their actual circumstances.

Since, in this 'MODERN SOCIETY' people naturally assume that if your out of work, then your some scrounger.

26 Months ive been unemployed.
Living on £50 a week.

Sending my C.V. And a written application to more or less every job available, advertised on DirectGov, thats being advertised in my area/county on that day.

In those 26 months ive had 5 Interviwes. 5!!

Out of all the jobs ive applied for, ive only 23 responses, all saying 'thanks, but no thanks.'

But, because ive my age, ive just managed to get onto a scheme(future jobs fund) run by the dole office, which will apparently give me 6 months tempoary work... Then Ive got to sign on the dole again.

Anyway, I noticed you mentiond the SIA licence.. I wanted to do that, and I actually turned up to the course but had a huge shock.
The course itself cost £250. And then, to get the Licence.. That bit of plastic with your face on it.. It cost another £250.
But at the time you could get a small grant that gave you a check for £200 to put towards the cost of things.

eee.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join