It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seeing your own eyes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   
I'm not sure which forum is the best for this, but I'm guessing here.

Some of you might be familiar with an artist named Jim Woodring. Many years ago I read something he wrote about a device he created, and I no longer have the source, so I can't link to it, but I will describe the basic idea below.

Woodring created a machine that used mirrors to divide a person's line of sight and then re-direct the views from the two eyes so they eyes would be staring into each other.

I'm not sure of the exact mechanics of his device, but I imagine you could achieve this effect with a kind of box-like set of goggles. There would be a divider probably where the nose is, to seperate the line of sight of your left eye from that of your right eye. So each eye would be looking down a seperate "corridor-like" space. Then at the end of the box, the divider would stop short and angled mirrors would reflect thw two eyeballs into each other.

I am dying to know what this would look like...would feel like... just think about it for a minute. Pretty freaky, huh?

Has anyone ever heard of, tried, or even owned Woodring's device or something similar?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:22 AM
link   
The device is called a Looty.

If you would like to make one yourself, there is a how-to on the instructables site:
How to build a looty

It seems that Jim Woodring stopped making them because he became convinced that the effect was bad for you.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Intersting... But why not just stare in the mirror? I know, it will remove the art out of the process but the effect should be the same. If you stare long enough, you might have a sensation of being stared at, and then of being the one on the other side of the mirror. Eventuall you might get trapped inside the mirror and your body will be taken into some psychiatric unit and connected to life support machines. Or maybe nothing like that.
I knew a guy once who was an artist into video installations and he was warking on creating a mirror that will always show your back... he was going to use hidden cameras that film you from the back. Then, if you turn around to look into the mirror right opposite the first one, you were supposed to see your back as well. Don't remember how he was going to do that.
Thanks for the interesting info, I'll definitely try to find out more about this guy and his crazy goggles.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dorfl
The device is called a Looty...

WOW! Thanks so much! I knew somebody here would have more info. ATS delivers. I will be making one soon.

Originally posted by Stateless Person
Intersting... But why not just stare in the mirror?

This was my first thought too, but then I realized it wouldn't be the same effect at all.

Staring in the mirror is simply looking at your eyes. But making the eyes look into each other is much different and, I'm guessing, far more intense.

The difference is the "looty" gives you infinite feedback. It's not like looking in a mirror; its like the "infinity" effect of placing two mirrors opposite each other...except in this cases the mirrors *ARE* your eyes.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   
These things can kill you, use caution!!!
I was wearing mine while driving down the road and....
Neat idea though.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I think you are right there. Staring in the mirror will be (unavoidably) like looking at the whole of your face while the device will short circuit the eyes only. I am thinking about making one set too, get stoned and put them on. Sounds like something Timothy Leary would do.

posted on Aug, 8 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   
That's really cool - thanks for the post!

new topics

top topics

join