It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The One Liner Thing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Retarded.

See there, I just made my point with one word.

Seriously, mods, owners, whoever the hell runs this place, CONCISE IS GOOD. Far too many people post unending blather about nothing that goes on for paragraphs.

Change the rule.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:40 AM
link   
There is a reason for the one line rule; to encourage constructive discussion.

One person's constructive discussion may be blather to another...and constructive to yet another.

That said...a one line post that is pertinent to the discussion won't be actioned...context is everything...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
There's nothing more annoying than seeing "2nd line". That happens so often I'd rather just see the one line and nothing else. I know saying "2nd line" is also not allowed, but it happens with such frequency that I agree the rule should be changed.

One complete sentence should suffice, but a one or two word response should not be ok. Saying "agree", "thats cool", "stupid", etc should obviously be frowned upon. But I'm all for anything that will forever rid us of "2nd line".

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by IamMe14

heh, sometimes I like the 2nd line variation's.

(My other line is a Porsche)

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:35 AM
link   
What's the problem?
Is it really so difficult to have two thoughts, and to tap the line-break key after the first one?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

True, I have posted a one line response without attracting any attention from mods.

I have also seen mods post one liners...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:06 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
What is the sound of one line clapping?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

Change the rule.

No.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Retarded.

See there, I just made my point with one word.

I have seen Mods allow one liners if they are appropriate...

However, your choice of word is a perfect example of why the rule exists...

Do you honestly think that flippantly using a word that has serious implication for those with a mental disability, and can cause serious offence to some, is an intelligent example of an appropriate one liner

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Muckster]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
reply to post by Grumble

Change the rule.

No.

Nice one

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI
What's the problem?
Is it really so difficult to have two thoughts, and to tap the line-break key after the first one?

Yes........ for me it is

What's a line break key?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I agree, sometimes one line is all that is needed. Like "where's the proof"

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

I think you're missing the point. Being concise is good. If your post actually says something, they don't mind a one-line post.

If someone asks, "What year was John McCain born?" and you answer: "1845", you will not get a one-line post warning.

What they don't want is posts in the lines of 'good post' or 'I agree'. That's what stars are for. They don't want posts "that add nothing to the flow of discussion."*

A post that simply says 'retarded' could possibly get you a warning, unless you explain why you think it's retarded.

The 'second line' thing is actually one of my pet peeves. If someone writes 'second line' they should automatically get a warning, IMO.

Edit: ooups! Whatever MemoryShock says above.

[edit on 23/7/10 by ConspiracyNut23]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Village Idiot

Originally posted by DISRAELI
What's the problem?

Yes........ for me it is

What's a line break key?

Sorry- I think I mean "Return".
The one that does this.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Hmm, sarcasm will get you nowhere fast.
It's quite a simple rule, no?
To post more than one line...start with making your point or replying to a previous member and add thoughts or references to back it up.
ATS is not messenger or a chat service.
I don't want to read pages of posts that say lol..and true dat.
If I had my way..I'd warn those who try to evade it by posting "second line" after .

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I've had applause for one line posts - more than once.

Sometimes, succinct hits just the right spot.

The rule is for posts like "I agree" or other such no-no's.

Nothing wrong with a good one liner, as long as it is pertinent to the topic, and in context.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Grumble

As a member who has been frequently called a retard
on this board,among other names...Isn't this type of
posting considered a personal attack against another
member?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I couldn't agree with you more AccessDenied. It is really frustrating to see a member that carries the label of, "simply stunning insight", posting one liner after one liner. I followed one of these simply stunning insight members at one time and realized that they had no insight at all just an agenda.

Anyway I really wanted to comment on that avatar since I seen it yesterday. I love it. It is too cool AccessDenied.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:24 AM
link   
This issue has become something of a peeing contest between TPTB (them) and the general minions (us).

"They" know that it is (and always was) a stupid idea and have essentially stopped enforcing it for anything other than patently stupid posts, but credibility is maintained by keeping it on the statute books "just in case".

Personally I really liked the minimum character limit they imposed some time back, it took everyone all of 3 seconds to figure out that you just used the spacebar to meet the required quota, you should have seen how fast that genius move disappeared into the annals of ATS.

Basically it's time for the board (or is it bored?) admins to get real and do away with some of the red tape.

Having to balance a live haddock on my head while whistling dixie before I can make a post on All Saints Eve is a little much after all.

<<   2 >>

join