It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are there grounds for a president to remain in office even if their term's up, or they lose?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I'm sorry, but I need clarification.

Are you asking "Is there any justification for Lame Ducks?"

if so, then I don't know how to answer that.

A Lame Duck president is just...how it is, because for whatever reason, inauguration occurs in January rather than November.

posted on Oct, 19 2008 @ 03:27 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 20 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04
I don't think there are, atleast not explicitly, and atleast not any longer. But just in case, I was wondering if anyone more familiar than I am with the laws and regulations regarding presidential terms of office could clear this up.

Can a president stay in office if a major conflict breaks out during their term, even once their term is up anymore? If so, would this apply even if they were defeated in an election by an opponent? Could they even go so far as to not have an election?

I want to go on record as saying I SERIOUSLY doubt this could ever happen (especialy if they didn't win).

But, I am curious as to whether there is any interpretation, by any stretch of the imagination, whereby this could occur.

Thanks.

[edit on 17-6-2004 by AceWombat04]

[edit on 17-6-2004 by AceWombat04]

There most definately is. All Bush has to do is declaire Martial law. Well Bush or Cheney. He has empowered himself and Chaney to override a governors ability to delaire Martial law.

We came very close to having that happen while congress was mulling the buyout proposal. Bush threatened to declaire it if it wasnt passed in a timely manner.
Once Martial Law is imposed our country falls under thePatriot act and Domestic Security Enhancement Act of 2003. The president has the authority to postpone the election once Martial Law is declaired. Afterwhich, all your civil, constitutional rights and anything under the bill of rights are null. They then have the ability pretty much to do what ever they wish. They can go door to door force entry without warrant. They can confiscate whatever they wish.
They can name you a terrorist without proof.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join