It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Non-GMO Shopping Guide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   
If you are concerned with the purity of your food, an origin from natural sources, and the effects of those choices on the role of food for you and the Earth...then you may consider:

How to avoid brands made with genetically modified organisms (GMOs)

"Genetic Engineering (GE) or Genetic Modification (GM) of food involves the laboratory process of artificially inserting genes into the DNA of food crops or animals. The result is called a genetically modified organism or GMO. GMOs can be engineered with genes from bacteria, viruses, insects, animals, or even humans. Most Americans say they would not eat GMOs if labeled, but unlike most other industrialized countries, the U.S. does not require labeling."

Tips for avoiding GM crops

TIP #1: BUY ORGANIC
"Certified organic products are not allowed to contain any GMOs. Therefore, when you purchase products labeled “100% organic,” “organic,” or “made with organic ingredients,” all ingredients in these products are not allowed to be produced from GMOs. For example, products labeled as “made with organic ingredients” only require 70% of the ingredients to be organic, but 100% must be non-GMO."

TIP #2: LOOK FOR“NON-GMO” LABELS
"Companies may voluntarily label products as “non-GMO.” Some labels state “non-GMO” while others spell out “Made Without Genetically Modified Ingredients.” Products that carry the Non-GMO Project Seal have third party verification as being in compliance with Non-GMO Project standards for GMO avoidance. Some products limit their claim to only one particular “At-Risk” ingredient such as soy lecithin, listing it as “non-GMO.” Look for dairy products labeled ‘No rBGH or rBST,” or “artificial hormone-free.”

TIP #3: AVOID AT-RISK INGREDIENTS
"Avoid products made with any of the crops that are GM. Most GM ingredients are products made from the “Big Four:” corn, soybeans, canola, and cottonseed, used in processed foods. Some of the most common genetically engineered Big Four ingredients in processed foods are:
Corn
-Corn flour, meal, oil, starch, gluten, and syrup
-Sweeteners such as fructose, dextrose, and glucose
-Modified food starch
Soy
-Soy flour, lecithin, protein, isolate, and isoflavone
-Vegetable oil and vegetable protein
Canola
Canola oil (also called rapeseed oil)
Cotton
Cottonseed oil
Sugar
Anything not listed as 100% cane sugar
GM sugar beet sugar recently entered the food supply. Look for organic and non-GMO sweeteners, candy and chocolate products made with 100% cane sugar, evaporated cane juice or organic sugar, to avoid GM beet sugar."

The information above is excerpted from the Introduction & Overview of
The Non-GMO Shopping Guide
from the very good site
nongmoshoppingguide.com
where you can view a more comprehensive explanation for the following categories:
Fruits & Vegetables
Meat, Fish & Eggs
Alternative Meat Products
Dairy Products & Alternative Dairy Products
Baby Foods & Infant Formula
Grains, Beans & Pasta
Cereals & Breakfast Bars
Baked Goods
Frozen Foods
Soups, Sauces & Canned Foods
Condiments, Oils, Dressings & Spreads
Snack Foods
Candy, Chocolate Products & Sweeteners
Sodas, Juices & Other Beverages
Invisible GM Ingredients

This website has extensive information of a very good quality to all those seeking a clear and concise picture of the constituents of their food choices.
As the substance we consume is the substance we become, in the temple vessel coexisting with the EARTH.

soulight to eartheart

∞LOVE∞

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by awake1234

Good information, thanks. You have reminded and encouraged me to modify my food purchasing efforts. Dig your signature too!

Peace

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Thanks friend.

Although i try not to eat them, I am young an naive. Now I know

S&F for you.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Awesome

Good to hear an open mind and open heart

May you and those around you, true-ly benefit from your choice

∞LOVE∞

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by gandhi

Excellent

We are always learning

The guide reveals a list of ingredients quite pervasive in processed products

Its good to be aware

In the words of GI Joe - Knowing is half the battle

And another percentage is choice

∞LOVE∞

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Very informative and nice thread. I know that the GM food is bad but where I live you aren't obliged by law to specify if the food is genetically modified or not.
And one note. Avoid using font colour that has similar intensity like the background. The light blue sentences are hard to read.

[edit on 22/7/10 by defiler]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Thanks for the thread. Awareness is increasing, thankfully. But we still have LOTS of work to do! For example,

Supreme Court Approves Monsanto's GM Alfalfa. That was just earlier this month. Just one more thing to add to your list ...

But good luck, and remember that dollar votes make a difference! Don't buy the crap, the stores won't make money selling the crap, they'll stop buying the crap, and then the crap-makers will lose money and produce less crap.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Labeling organic foods is ridiculous... because...

The label of identification should be on the GENETICALLY MODIFIED FOODS.

Damn them.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by defiler

Thank you for your input. The note is noted, and the signature (Divine) link was viewed - The 5th Element is a good one.
Even though not all countries have restrictions for GMO 'food experiments' to be labelled before public consumption - there are a growing number of countries which do regulate this with awareness.
see
GMO-free Regions by Country

∞LOVE∞

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Son of Will

THANKS for your comments

you are correct that the genetic altered substances are still approved by some,
yet
you are also correct that we can be conscious consumers and choose which of the products we purchase are aligned with our desires for us, as well as the connected life on Earth

What We Can Do to Help Stop the Genetic Engineering of the Food Supply

Google Video Link

∞LOVE∞

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

We have quite a conundrum

All our food has come so far from its natural state that the additional labels which inform us of the contents would rival the size of the nutrition facts label

Agree that GMO should be labelled - or rather not present in food at all - as any substance GMO is contrary to organic standards...safe to say this can serve as a default indicator - look for organics

∞LOVE∞

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 07:52 PM
link   

I can't afford to eat only organic food.

Matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if, and I may even have noticed, companies who sell the GMO foods are also the ones selling the organic... for higher prices.

Lose, lose situation.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Excellent post, I used to be of the "If the Gumment allows it they can't be bad for me" crowd.
Nowadays I'm older and alot more broken thaan I wish I was.
These things I look for nowadays.
Thanks for the information.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

Thanks for contributing
Often organic foods are inexpensive if you use coupons and sales, and shop at stores which specialize in health foods - like Whole Foods Market (they are improving) - as grocery store use organics as incentive to price gouge...or especially your local farmers market where you can directly interact with the grower.
You are very correct that certain companies will produce GMO brands (non-organic) and organic counter-parts....you will also notice these companies main products are GMO and are only using organics to increase their margin - very often they are the same companies seeking to degrade organic standards and, or, mislabeling (misleading labels) products as organic.
Choice - choose to be a conscious consumer and support those companies which support you...there are many!

∞LOVE∞

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Great to hear from you
There were days when the "gumment" presented the peoples with frivolous niceties and the appearance of care - yet these days are not those.
Transformation is upon all aspects of this world...and the best one is occurring within you!
A good lead
Organic Consumers Association

∞LOVE∞

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Top 10 Reasons to Label Genetically Engineered Food

Ask Your Congresspersons to Cosponsor HR 5577, Representative Kucinich's Genetically Engineered Food Right to Know Act

10. Almost all non-organic processed food or animal products in the U.S. today contain ingredients that come from genetically engineered crops or from animals given genetically engineered feed, vaccines or growth hormones.

9. Genetically engineered foods have not been tested to determine whether they are safe for human consumption.

8. Genetically engineered foods ARE different from conventional and organic foods.

7. A single serving of genetically engineered soy can result in "horizontal gene transfer," where the bacteria in the human gut adopts the soy's DNA.

6. Animals fed genetically engineered feed ARE different from animals fed conventional and organic feed.

5. The third generation of hamsters fed genetically engineered soy suffered slower growth, a high mortality rate, and a bizarre birth defect: fur growing in their mouths. Many also lost the ability to have pups.

4. The more genetically engineered corn fed to mice, the fewer babies they had and the smaller the babies were.

3. Biotech's scattershot technique of spraying plant cells with a buckshot of foreign genes that hit chromosomes in random spots would trigger the expression of new allergens and change the character of plant proteins.

2. Scientists reviewing data from Monsanto's own studies "have proven that genetically engineered foods are neither sufficiently healthy or proper to be commercialized."

1. The Convention on Biodiversity recognizes that genetic engineering is a threat to amount and variety of life on the planet.

Organic Bytes

∞LOVE∞

[edit on 23-7-2010 by awake1234]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
We can be AWARE
see
FreeDocumentaries.org
for
The World According to...
&
Genetically Modified Foods