It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The University of ATS.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I guess the gray area is the place to land this one. Most will see, it is an unfounded claim. I concede that from the start.

As for me, the title of this thread, could not hold anymore truth. This place, ATS has been the closest thing I have ever come to getting a formal edumacation.

All kidding aside.
For me it's also a phenomena in it's own right. What a fantastic place of knowledge and information. I just happened to come across one day by total accident. I was in the Black Vault when I clicked a link that brought me here. Now with one year under my belt, being a sophomore to this fine University, that comes right in to my home. Bringing with it all the great minds that are here. I think to pay a little homage to this place and all the fine fine people, that make ATS what it is. A positive charge of intellect and very fun place of truth and learning. I can't describe it any better than that.

What an absolute blessing this place has been for me. I simply have to say THANK YOU to every Member, Mod to God, Owner and Administrator. The Skeptics who make sure the truth is never trampled underfoot. For truthseekers we are at ATS.

I think this song and ATS were both brought to the world around the same time.

I love this place.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by randyvs]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I wish i could agree with you but i don't.

Lately ATS is becoming a joke, it is overpopulated with rubbish threads coming from people with an addiction to Stars & Flags and points.

The Threads of gold are there, but i find myself using the search facility more and more these days as the good stuff is hidden in the archives.

I wish ATS would go back to being about Hardware and Physics of UFO and such but that's probably asking too much.

ATS a University?....No way.
Not unless your doing a degree in raising mushrooms.
Keep you in the dark and feed you crap.

My 2 cents.

Bring back John Lear.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Here here, cheers!

I second the notion randyvs! I am early in my freshman year and have already changed some of my perspectives, my approach to various subjects, and my willingness to engage in conversation for the sake of sharing and understanding. I am learning to be a better writer and researcher and work collaboratively with others. Interactive education, variety of perspectives and attitudes, as well as a wealth of resources is what keeps me coming back.
What should our mascot be?

Proud member of UoATS!

Peace

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

ATS a University?....No way.

I knew you were out there, I didn't think you would make the first post.
I disagree back. Perhaps this is matter of completely different viewpoints
but it is a University for me. A wealth of information. This place has made me understand so many different things. I couldn't even embed another members quote when I started here. I learn here and it's like I'm teaching myself. I can literally say I had to teach myself this or that. It gives me
a sense of lil pride and so many other things. From my place in this world .
You are wrong.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

The only academic title i would consider would be a School.

A school for "special" students and that would include me, i must be crazy for reading the mountains of drivel just to find the occasional gem.

A University?...still no.
A student bar with murmurings from intoxicated students?...Hmmm closer to the truth methinks.

Peace. May your ATS experience be a happy one anyway.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
Reply to post by randyvs

ATS is like a university. You learn new things, but you have to filter through the BS . . . just like school.

ATS has taught me how to debate better online and in real life.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life
reply to post by randyvs

Bring back John Lear.

I'm not sure that would help to make ATS more like a university.

John Lear only had unverified claims, which you could either believe or not, he himself was happy to admit that, and it was part of his signature.

That's more in line with a Church in my view, a University should be about something else, more based on a scientific outlook of examining actual data and evidence.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

Hey Mate,I agree with you whole heartedly!

There is not one person even coming close to knowing reality or expanding their perception or knowledge base, from ATS.

The stuff posted here anymore is nothing more than mental pablum for people to ignorant to find the truth out for themselves.

The "professional" staff of this site is far from it.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Oh there has always got to be the trolls that spew negativity huh??... All the op was doing is giving this site kudos, and then some memebers have to leave snarky comments,.... CANT ANYONE BE POSITIVE ANYMORE!?! Go back under your bridges!! I have been a member since 2000/2001 I eventually lost my internet service for a year and forgot all of my passwords for everything and had to open a new email account and start a new ATS account... ATS has brought a lot of insight to me over the years!! Thank you ATS!!

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

ATS has taught me how to debate better online and in real life.
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

This is also true for me. I think I have become a lot more patient with any
retort, I may have in real life debates. I see this patience as sometimes, a
devious advantage over an opponent. As it allows them more oppertunity, to put there best foot, in there mouth. One of the best ways of winning, any person to person debate. Let the other side win it for you.
There is an alternate definition to the word diplomacy I like.

The art of having someone else, get your way.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
ATS is a site, but ATS is more than just a site. ATS is the contributing members of this site. If you think that most of the stuff posted here is garbage, then start some quality threads. This site is our site. It will only be as good as we make it. So instead of making snarky remarks, start researching that quality thread.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Oneolddude

The "professional" staff of this site is far from it.

Must be why you practically reside here huh . As One old dude.

Darkelf

ATS is a site, but ATS is more than just a site. ATS is the contributing members of this site. If you think that most of the stuff posted here is garbage, then start some quality threads. This site is our site. It will only be as good as we make it. So instead of making snarky remarks, start researching that quality thread.

How well can something be said?
Some of the folks here, like every where else in the world, must constantly
display a jealous attitude. Rarely do they come up with a thread.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
When I first joined, I would have agreed wholeheartedly.

Lately it's become more of a joke. There are great people here, but now they are the minority.

I am grateful I got here while it was still good quality, because yes, I learned a lot here.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

There is not one person even coming close to knowing reality or expanding their perception or knowledge base, from ATS.

reply to post by Oneolddude

Wow, that's one of the broadest stroke generalities I've ever seen here. How can someone claim that " not one single person here," has expanded their perception or knowledge base," particularly if that someone has not read every single member's perspective?

The resources provided here alone expand numerous members knowledge base. The debates, debunking and information exchange expands many members perception.

To each their own but I take a little offense to the comment.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by speculativeoptimist]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

To each their own but I take a little offense to the comment

ah! Don't let him get to ya. Seeing he is One Old Dude, he may just need a nap.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life

I wish i could agree with you but i don't.

Lately ATS is becoming a joke, it is overpopulated with rubbish threads coming from people with an addiction to Stars & Flags and points.

Every messageboard on the internet that is open to the general public has a poor "signal to noise ratio." I challenge you to find one as large as ATS with more "signal" and less "noise." There aren't many or perhaps even any, because the admins and mods continue to walk the always-thin line between moderation and censorship with the greatest skill I've yet to come across. Sure there are stupid posts, annoying posts, attention-hoggers, etc...but a lot less here than any other comparable board I've seen.

You've got to remember, the median IQ on planet earth is 100...that means half of the people on earth have an IQ of less than 100. That's just the way it goes. Try holding a conversation half as interesting and involved as most ATS threads in a public park in any city or town on earth and I guarantee you the results will be more chaotic and dimwitted by several orders of magnitude.

I wish ATS would go back to being about Hardware and Physics of UFO and such but that's probably asking too much.

Well, I've personally got nothing at all against the UFO sections of ATS, but its pretty ironic to hear you follow up your rant against quality by talking about UFOs, because almost all the "ATS is declining in quality" complaints I read on this board mention the UFO-related posts (with religion as a close second) as "dragging down" the image of ATS. I'm not saying this is my personal feeling (it isn't), but it just goes to show how subjective the definition of "quality" can be.

Even if only 10% of what is posted here is of personal value to you, that 10% should still be more than enough to keep you engaged. As for the rest...well, just relax and ignore it.

[edit on 7/22/10 by silent thunder]

CX

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I agree that ATS is an education.

I am also seriously starting to wonder about the amount of posters who are shooting ATS down in flames, moaning about the quality of the threads and about the site in general.

I'm not one to jump straight to the conspiracy conclusions, but there comes a time when something just doesn't seem right.

Maybe i've not noticed before, but in the five years i've been a member here, i can't remember hearing so many people crying about the quality of the place.

I'm not sure why that is, but my thoughts are leaning towards more nefarious reasons than anything else.

As far as i'm concerned, if you don't like what you see, make a positive contribution and add to the change or go elsewhere. Don't make countless threads that just make the place look worse than it actualy is.

ATS has more on offer content wise than probably any other site out there.

If you don't like it, why the hell come here?

CX.

[edit on 22/7/10 by CX]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
For me it is just entertainment.
However I think they have great MOD's here and do a great job.

Good positive thread. S&F whether you want them or not.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

This is as close as I can come to applause.

CX

Silent Thunder

turn it up!

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

You can't get free entertainment this cheap.

I love it!

<<   2  3 >>

join