It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shared Dreaming - Real life Inception

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Just had a thought. Tacit knowledge right? We can draw pictures of people we've only had a glance of in our dreams. Try to physically draw the person you saw 3 days ago at the train station, and you can't. But our minds in a dream can do it flawlessly. Our minds can make working examples of them with dead on personality, looks etc.

What if our minds were to understand psychology and the inner workings of those we relate to and converse with.

What if our minds were so powerful, they could create accurate guesses of the heuristics inside other's minds? What if our minds were so insightful, they could even do this with others we conversed with on the internet and didn't even know IRL? Of course the visuals would be off, but personality, maybe not so much.

A shared dream is perhaps a case where both minds guess eachother.

Every shared dream account I have read, nothing was perfectly the same, each mind is still making guesses, heuristics, but very accurate ones. And the mind knows how to "draw" it to make it more believable, great combination.

Maybe our minds are powerful enough to figure out what others would be dreaming at the same time, tacitly, subconciously. So you desire to enter their dream, and voila. Two people start going down this road together understanding eachother and eachother's mind and dreaming mind more intimately.

Great minds think alike, or maybe all minds do. Just a thought!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Like I said, he did his homework. The movie was a fantastic action packed version of a dream. I don't doubt that a totem could help. I wish I knew more about it so if you come across some research let me know.

Shared dreaming is real from my camp of experience and Inception has done a wonderful job bringing this to the forefront of human awareness. I really hope it spawns more research and personal experiences. Great stuff!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Novise

There are certainly moments of inconsistency between dreamers; I have observed this also. As for the guessing, I think it stems more from perception and interpretation of data.

We simply are not skilled dreamers en mass; it is a trickle down effect of being terribly oblivious to the dreaming states. The friend of mine who was most interested in dreaming was the one person I shared the most dreams with.

The others were very rare indeed. Objectively however we can have full conversations that both remember on waking; really strong dream symbolism can be shared.

A lot of research here is needed; we may be a long way before humanity even knows this is real; let alone progress far enough technologically to examine it.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by YouAreDreaming

I know I am going to do more research and trial to see if I can do this myself. I have looked it up online too but to no avail. There is no resource for dream totems at all. So it may be something he got directly from a shaman that is not kept in a book but conveyed orally and well, he didn't reference his source.LOL. Too bad, maybe it's that hidden knowledge stuff, but thanks to the movie, I foresee it catching on worldwide!

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Closest thing to a dream totem I've experienced was a wristwatch I used to wear. I once had a dream I asked my friend if it was a dream, he said no way. I looked at the watch and looked away and back at it, the time was different and I knew it was a dream.

One of the times I had my best lucid experiences I carried a Wotai Stone in my pocket. It's a Lakota thing, where you carry it around and whenever you touch it it reminds you to be peaceful and spiritual. It didn't come out in my dreams but I think it reminded me as I fell asleep to try and lucid dream.

Some lucid dreamers have all sorts of things on them in dreams. An arsenal of weapons, a time machine, etc. Having a totem would be an elementary matter for them. It's certainly possible... Though I don't know how you'd make something so small a weight nobody could know, it obviously has to be heavier than usual.. so lead weight? You aren't going to fool a lot of people with it if it ever matters, they will be able to guess tacitly or subconciously based on your personality if shared dreaming is that real. You are best off relying on yourself.

I always wanted a rock that I could put in my pocket and also use to throw at people telepathically in dreams, maybe it's magical in dreams.

What I mean to get across is that it's entirely possible to carry things into the dream world with you, people have all sorts of equipment once in dreams, ancient weapons, magical weapons, etc. A totem is easily within the realm of possibility.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Make sure to check out my thread on lucid dreaming; I cover some techniques... also I wrote a free online book back in 1998 that shows I was deep into this even before Inception.

Technique
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Course
www.explorations-in-consciousness.com...

I might have moved past a need for a totem with a reality check because I nearly always intuitively just know I am dreaming. However, please if you experiment with one, let me know how that goes.

I am damn curious too

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Deep down I think I've had shared dreams with friends who just have crap dream recall. I have on over a dozen occasions ended dreams yelling at my friends, "Try to remember this, wake up and write down what happened!" This is a dream, I will have to leave soon, etc.

Seems both minds need to be aware of the possibility for my new theory to work. It also explains why I can tacitly "enter" my friends dreams, but they don't see me in theirs.

It doesn't explain why they never disappear first, never while I was lucid at least.

Apparently it takes two to tango. And why not, especially if we are talking about mutual existence, consensus reality.

While I might oversimplify things I think I've offered a perfectly plausible way for shared dreaming to occur, but I imagine the truth is actually more exciting yet.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 10:59 PM
link   
And maybe the sweet spot, or perfect storm is hit when people that have things in common attempt to shared dream. In all the cases I've been aware of the people involved had something in common. In one case, it was people who had experience of intense suffering in their lives.

Maybe it's easier for people of the same background to shared dream. For a Christian to shared dream with another Christian, etc. Or two Buddhists, etc.

Kindred souls or kindred minds. The minds "know" eachother inside out, because key experiences are shared in scope. They then can guess at what the other would be dreaming. If our minds can give a dream character a personality, they can give you that dream characters likely dream environment.

The mind could even tacitly understand what a shared world between the two would be like, and a dream situation comprimise between the two, even going so far as expectations and will, and who has more of what to determine a reliably close reality.

posted on Jul, 26 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Grrr... I just wrote a huge post and misclicked and lost it all.

I don't have time to retype it all tonight, but I'd just like to redirect you to an ATS thread I made on shared dreaming before inception came out.
www.dreamviews.com...

Originally posted by YouAreDreaming
Definition
Shared Dreaming or Mutual Dreaming mentioned by Stephen LaBerge[1] and Lynda Lane Magallon[2] is a type of dream where two or more people share the same dream content from the their own perspective.

That is probably the most important aspect to understanding shared dreaming. To use an analogy, shared dreaming is like an online video game where each player has to create their own graphics file. Like each player has to draw their own version of a tree, or dog, or ocean, and use those while playing the game. While in the game world, each player will see their own unique version of the tree, but it makes no difference to the game mechanics.

Of course this doesn't only apply to the visual aspects of shared dreaming, but applies to basic concepts as well. When investigating shared dreaming reports, I look for those kinds of differences and don't believe any accounts that don't contain those kinds of archetypal differences.

I'll post on how to induce shared dreams tomorrow, because the call of the dream realm is too strong at the moment.

[edit on 26-7-2010 by The Cusp]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Dear dreaming last night I tried the totem thing(my totem is a small figurine that came with Red Rose Tea bags), however I could not obtain a dream at all, stayed concious while sleeping, but no dreams whatsoever. I don't know why, but all the techniques are hit and miss for me, I did reality checks throughout the day and self hypnosis last night. The self hypnosis I been working with for awhile now, and sometimes it does work and sometimes it does not. I am still going to try for two weeks actually this is the second week so after this one it will be two weeks of rest.It's about 50/50 at this point. Anyway I tried to invoke one of the scenes of prior dreams to focus dreaming about, which is a snowy mountain that I am skiing on, the reason is, well I live in Fl, usa and it's just so darn hot here I was trying to cool off, lol, the success comes when I only try to go lucid without having a thought as to what to dream about if I leave that to whim, I will go lucid, but if I try to create a dream it never works so tonight I won't try to create the dream, I will jsut try to go lucid in it!!!!

Today I am trying the midday nap with attempting to go lucid. Heading for the nappy now....zzzzzz.
Well that didn't pan out got interrupted by n a neighbor
[edit on 27-7-2010 by ldyserenity]

[edit on 27-7-2010 by ldyserenity]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Novise

I have a funny story to tell you about wearing watches and dreams. Well, I also used to wear a watch and notice in my dreams it'd be on my wrist and when I would look at it the time would be running backwards, this clued me into the fact I was dreaming and freaked me out, needless to say, I don't wear watches anymore!!!!! At least not 24/7.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I am just pleased you are growing in this direction and it takes time. I use the wake-back-to-bed method with Mnemonic induced lucid dream WBTB and MILD.

What worked BEST for me; and you are seeing that first hand is creating a controlled dreaming environment... a place where you can be undisturbed.

If I had the money I would build a dreaming room or shed that is just heavily padded and has a comfortable bed and no light. As close to sensory deprived as possible with perhaps a clock; a tape recorder and a filtered air system

No phones, alarm clocks or neighbors... just a place to go and dream.

That is a goal I am going to create. I need a dream incubation chamber separate from my usual life.

@The Cusp - Sorry you have this problem with losing that post; now that you brought it up, I really want to read it. Also glad we are connecting on facebook and DV.

YAD.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Novise

It is Novise, you are struggling from the same challenges we all go through and that is it takes two or more to tango. That said, we need to then tell people we had a dream with to see if any thing mutual triggers from their waking memory.

It's a tough challenge and one that has no guarantees. I support it because I have had the experience and it certainly shows a greater promise and potential for human evolution; but it requires active participants.

posted on Jul, 28 2010 @ 11:07 PM
link   
How to have a shared dream.

The first option is to become skilled at lucid dreaming and at dream control. In particular you need a reliable method to find someone. It could be opening a door and expecting to find them behind it, or using a portal to lead you to them. There are no guarantees with these methods, it's a matter of personal skill.

And there are problems with trying to force a shared dream. Mainly if you try it with someone who doesn't remember their dreams on a regular basis, you're pretty much wasting your time. Or even if you can't remember your dreams, it might as well have never happened.

Telling someone they are dreaming from within a dream can cause them to wake up from the shock. Most first time lucid dreamers experience this. I like to put my arm around them and give my targets a good shake. The physical sensation helps anchor them in the dream. But when doing this with someone who isn't an experienced lucid dreamer, it won't be long before your target gets a blank zombie like look on their face and wanders off, distracted by something they find interesting in the dream.

Try to stick to one target at a time. Trying to herd a large group of fellow dreamers is like trying to keep a bunch of ants on a piece of paper with a toothpick.

Your other option is to let shared dreaming happen naturally. Start keeping an online dream journal at site like dreamviews.com, mortalmist.com. sealifedreams.com. There are lots of them out there. But don't just stick to your dream journal, read other people's dream journals, and most importantly, leave comments. Not are comments encouraging when keeping an online dream journal, but many of those people will feel compelled to return the favor and start leaving comments in yours. You'll inevitably find some DJs you like more than others, that you relate to for content and style.

Before long, you'll find yourself in a small clique of dreamers, a group that frequents each other's DJs, and this is where things get interesting. Coincidences and synchronicities begin to pop up you your group's dream journals. You'll find many people dreaming about the same things, topics or themes. This is what what Linda Lane Magallon calls "Dream Meshing".

Once you reach this point, shared dreams may begin to occur naturally. You can help things along with intent, focus, and various dream incubation methods.

Just remember that both dreamer don't necessarily have to experience the exact same thing. This always irks the hardcore skeptics, but the similarities always outweigh the differences, which really describe the same things on an archetypal level.

Best of luck to anyone wanting to share dreams. It's an ambitious task, but so much fun.

posted on Jul, 31 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by The Cusp

I can tell you are speaking from experience. A lot of what you have described is similar to my own experience from people who don't remember dreams being a total waste of time.

To the zombie state that the click in and out of. Glad you actively pursue this because I feel the reward in a shared dream is quite spectacular.

I'll have to get back to trying this again, i admit to giving up frustrated after many years of trying with friends and family due to their lazy, illiterate dream life.

We may just be outside the time period when humanity gets to live this en mass.

posted on Aug, 1 2010 @ 10:00 PM
link   
As a christian my take on this is that the dream world is easily accessible by spiritual entities who may make use of it to supply information, or more commonly disinformation.

In times past I have prophetic dreams that invariably involve moral issues. These dreams I attribute to the Lord God. In those dreams, certain details about events will be revealed to me, which later turn out to be true.

I have also had horrific dreams that were clearly of a demonic nature, and were a type of attack.

If you presuppose that there are entities who can access the conscious and subconscious of mere humans, with relative ease, then you have an alternative explanation for some of the lucid dream states.

The bottom line is that I would tread into this area with extreme misgivings. Not all things are good or profitable for exploration.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Hi thanks for the posting and thread subject... I am interested in some things paranormal and quantum, etc. I have put this as a favorite and I subscribed as well. hopefully I will find it easily this way...

this one gave me some ideas. I will look at the links and give this some thought.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I would love to try this, but I have noone anywhere near me interested in these sort of things. Seems like I'm the only person who even wants to lucid dream, but I never brought it up among friends and family. Hopefully a couple of them will see Inception and become curious. I still haven't had a lucid dream, but I admit I'm noy exactly trying as hard as i could. My dream recall is excellent though and I some of my dreams seem very real...Anyway just saying excellent thread.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SevenThunders

Hey SevenThunders,

Here is an interesting article on dreaming for Christians; I'll post a snippet that I feels encourages dreaming for Christians. I hope it helps ease your fears.

External Source

Seven Reasons We Should Listen to Our Dreams

1. God declared that He WOULD speak through dreams and visions in the Old Testament.

And He said, "Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, I the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, and will speak unto him in a dream" (Num. 12:6).

2. God declared that He DID speak through dreams and visions in the Old Testament.

"I have also spoken by the prophets, and I have multiplied visions, and used similitudes, by the ministry of the prophets" (Hos. 12:10).

3. God declares that He WILL communicate through dreams and visions in the New Testament.

"And it shall come to pass in the last days," saith God, "I will pour out of My Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams" (Acts 2:17).

4. God declares that He WILL COUNSEL us at night through our dreams.

I will bless the Lord who has counseled me; Indeed, my mind (inner man) instructs me in the night (Ps. 16:7 NASB).

5. Rather than our dreams being fatalistic, dreams are calling us to change SO WE WILL NOT PERISH.

For God speaketh once, yea twice, yet man perceiveth it not. In a dream, in a vision of the night, when deep sleep falleth upon men, in slumberings upon the bed; Then He openeth the ears of men, and sealeth their instruction, That He may withdraw man from his purpose, and hide pride from man. He keepeth back his soul from the pit, and his life from perishing by the sword (Job 33:14-18, emphasis mine).

6. God does very significant things WITHIN dreams. For example, He established the Abrahamic Covenant in a dream.

And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him....And God said to Abram....In the same day the LORD made a covenant with Abram, saying... (Gen. 15:12,13,18, emphasis mine).

7. God grants supernatural gifts THROUGH dreams.

In Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night: and God said, "Ask what I shall give thee...."

"Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge Thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this Thy so great a people?"

"...Behold, I have done according to thy words: lo, I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart; so that there was none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee...." And Solomon awoke; and, behold, it was a dream (I Kings 3:5,9,12,15).

Summarizing the Importance of Our Dreams

God has chosen to communicate with mankind through dreams. He guides and counsels us through our dreams. He establishes covenants with us through our dreams. He grants us gifts in our dreams. He utilized dreams from Genesis to Revelation, and declared that He would continue to use them in the last days. When you total up all dreams and visions in the Bible, and all the stories and actions which come out of these dreams and visions, you have about one-third of the Bible, which is equal to the size of the New Testament! Dreams are a central way God has chosen to communicate with us, and thus they must be given great weight!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join