It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faeroe Islands: Sea Shepherd Undercover Operation Exposes Cetacean Mass Slaughter

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Faeroe Islands: Sea Shepherd Undercover Operation Exposes Cetacean Mass Slaughter

www.seashepherd.org

Two hundred and thirty-six pilot whales were slaughtered last night in Klaksvik: bulls, pregnant and lactating females, juveniles, and unborn babies still attached to their mothers by the umbilical chord. An entire pod that once swam freely through the North Atlantic has been exterminated in a single blood bath
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.newscienti st.com
www.google.com
www.google.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I was informed that baby whales were gutted from their mother's wombs and the carcasses of both mothers and babies; all of them were left on the beach to rot. It is a wasteful, shameful, disgusting practice that has become more of a 'sport' than a cultural sustenance practice. The article, linked below cites a ban on whale meat for Faeroe Islanders issued in 2008.

I do not know why the reporting agency uses a skull and cross bones nor am I aware fo their specific affiliations. I am simply releasing important information about a barbaric practice that is no longer useful or necessary.

For convenience, I have also provided a link to a search that offers more information & pics on the topic for anyone who wants to know more.

Namaste!

www.seashepherd.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I can never seem to reconcile myself with the notion that this is a 'cultural' thing and many western countries' objections are somehow shortsighted or somehow ignorant.

I have some minor childhood experience with living on a working ranch and farm, so I am no stranger to the slaughter of food animals, but what these people do, and the lengths they go to attempting to keep it 'private' seems to indicate that even they know they are not 'doing the right thing.'

I had never heard of this kind of event outside of the Japanese "Cove" documentary. I would have expected Europe to have shed themselves of this practice long ago. Is it that valuable a food source? Are people paying exorbitant prices to eat pilot whale meat?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Despicable

A pointless waste.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Disgusting.

And criminal-

Pilot whales are classified as “strictly protected” under the Convention on the Conservation of European Wildlife and Natural Habitats. By allowing the slaughter to continue in the Faeroes, Denmark fails to abide by its obligations as a signatory of the Convention.

www.seashepherd.org...

Its not as if these bastards are short of food and yet they still wish to murder whole pods of whales in this horrific manner.

See the smiles on their faces in the photos...Sick IMO,that they love doing that so much,cutting babies out,and breaking spines.

The EU should arrest,try and imprison the lot of them for breaking the convention(again).
They have broken the law,its a black and white issue.
Take them to court.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I echo other peoples thoughts and think it is tragic. Please accompany me by writing a letter to the Faroe Island Prime Minister requesting the halt of this practice. I have the email address for the Prime Minister Kaj Leo Johannesen of the Faroes Islands. He was employed in 1989 by Faroe Seafood and from 1995 to 1997 he was sales manager at Kósin (major fish processing factory in the Faroes) so it may fall on deaf ears. I do feel though that sometimes complaints can get into the pysche and cause a difference/action.

Prime Minister's email address:info@tinganes.fo

I got this info from: www.tinganes.fo...

Cheers!

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Denmark has always practiced this babaric act all the way back to the time of the vikings . I live on the other side of the globe and have been aware of this most of mylife .So I have always questioned why only Japan has been politicly targeted while the Danes have a walk in the park ? Why has Denmark been protected over their practice. Ignorance is no excuse in my eyes as I knew of this when I was just seven yrs old reading about it in National Geographic .You mean to tell me that the conservation groups did not know this and yet a seven year old on the other side of the world did ! NO Denmark has been protected . Yes protected ! Don't forget the relationship between the Danish and Netherland Royal families ! So what does this have to do with anything ? Don't forget that a certain prince of the Netherlands founded the World wildlife fund ! There is your connection and conspiracy .
Another thing that people need to know is this .Denmark promoted global warming at the G20 in Copenhagen 2009 .Useing images of cute cuddly white fluff ball polar bear cubs with their mum to promote their cause .Well are you aware that the Danish Goverment issues hunting permits for the hunting of these beautiful and endagered animals in their territory of Greenland ? How and why is this country getting away with this ? What is truely going on here and why are they being protected .

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
It's Sickening! Especially now that we know how intelligent and compassionate these animals are. Dolphins are also slaughtered in what appears to be a mindless, blood-thirsty frenzy.

At first, as a degree-holding cultural anthropologist, I thought Faeroe Island's "rite of passage" dolphin-slaughters, which initiate boys into manhood (many cultures around the world still practice various culturally important 'rites of passage" rituals); the practice is so deeply ingrained, culturally important and necessary on so many levels to that particular indigenous, island culture; really, who are we to judge them and force them to change their indigenous ways; something that has been way over-done by ignorant westerners, globally, throughout history, which has ultimately demolished indigenous cultures and life-ways, just because most westerners don't fully understand them, yet they stand in judgement and force unwanted and unnecessary change. My 1st position was to not support my friend's movement to stop this practice in favor of preserving cultural diversity and uniqueness, even if most don't fully understand various practices and the meanings behind them.

Numbers-wise, a rite of passage ritual killing, while to us is horrific, does far less damage to global dolphin populations than say, commercial fishing does. For that reason, I felt that your campaign; targeting a small, indigenous Island population that uses the meat for much needed, difficult to obtain on islands, (even today).... protein. I felt that his targeting Faeroe Islanders was mis-directed. Albeit less visibly gory, commercial fishing does far more damage to generally non-edible marine populations that inadvertently get caught in nets and traps.

But now, seeing the results of Monday's mindless whale-slaughter, with the gutting out of baby whales from their mothers for what appears to be no good reason and then, leaving them to rot on the beach, (not used for protein) is nothing less than disgusting.

This new whale slaughter information, combined with the article citing a 2008 ban on whale meat for Faeroe Islanders, has changed my perspective on this obscene practice, which is why I have posted this information to inform the masses.

I'm guessing that Faeroe Islanders want to maintain secrecy because whale meat consumption has been banned for two years; not to mention fallout from The Cove release and subsequent global outcry.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:06 PM
link   
There is truely no story here. All this is is a article of propaganda made for only one purpose, to give a grim and deviant appearance of a country's traditions. The descriptions and view point given by the author are that of some one trying to sensationalize a story. If they want to properly write an article then they need to give the entire history of the event as well as actual documentation of what they do with the whales once the have been harvested. Everyones knee jerk reaction to seeing pictures that depict the killing of animals is the same mentality that breeds facist mentalities. You see the violence then react as to condemn people and be come active in an attempt to stop this tradition. Who are you and what makes you the supreame being that has the right to condemn others, and for those who are religous, does "thou shalt not judge" ring a bell. What they do is some more of our business. It is not like this is a daily occurance. Everyone is in everyones elses buisness way too much.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
If their argument is that they need the food let every single cruel, brutal, heartless, sinful, immoral, corrupt, damnable, depraved, destructive, execrable, foul, harmful, hateful, heinous, hideous, loathsome, malicious, malignant, nefarious, no good, obscene, offensive, reprobate, repugnant, repulsive, revolting, spiteful, stinking, ugly, vicious, vile, wicked....wait a minute where was I?

Oh yes, then let every single person involved choke on whale meat, fat and guts until every morsel is GONE. 236 whales? That should put their diet of 100% whale products roughly until they all DIE of obesity and heart disease or 250 years whichever comes first.

Even the cruelest factory farms do not leave carcasses to rot....

FWIW
I just emailed my congressman

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by americanwoman

Even the cruelest factory farms do not leave carcasses to rot....

FWIW
I just emailed my congressman

I didin't see a rotting carcass anywhere. How do you know that they leave rotting carcasses? That's right you are taking the word of an "extremist" who's sole mission is invoke this type of anger through this type of propaganda. Where is the photo proof of rotting carcasses? I would be willing to bet that you will not produce any. In fact I bet that they use almost all of the whales entire carcass, even the babies. I can show you thousands of kill pictures like this of all types of animals that look just the same and in the end they used all of the parts of the animals. Can you show me pics of rotting corpses from this event?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:47 AM
link   
As much as the words made me unhappy I will say one thing here... It really doesn't look like they're just leaving those bodies to rot. They have been cleaned, they have very clean/precise cuts and are obviously tidily lined up for some reason... probably to take of somewhere for butchering etc

But like all needless killing, it's no good. However for those of you who are disgusted by these cute smiley mammals take a peak at this and see how you feel...
Chicken action

This sort of stuff is happening to MILLIONS of birds. Yes, I know they are killed to eat but does eating make cruelty ok? Animals are animals and shouldn't be abused in any way. I dunno... I'm just thinking aloud here about people sending emails about one type of cruelty and then probably going home and snacking on something which causes just as much if not worse cruelty.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Well thank the gods...at least they are not leaving the bodies to rot.(sarc)

WTF difference does that make to the pod of whales,who are already dead,if they are left to rot or not?

They have still been hacked to death,guts hanging out,fetuses slain.

I would have thought that was the part of the article we should concentrate on.

Anyone defending this practice is just plain cruel IMO.
I am glad they are in the minority.

If these people are so tough,that they can kill defenceless intelligent mammals in this way,maybe they should show everyone how tough they really are,and go hand to hand with a polar bear.

But of course not,bullies and sadists always go for the vunerable.
How worthy they must feel...sick bastards.

new topics

top topics

join