It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP Massive layoff, Tens of Thousands of cleanup workers Gulf Coast - Who's gonna clean it up?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Long time no see my friends. Now that I have your attention. In the truest form of the word there has been no "LAYOFF". That would make for bad press and would upset the governments projections of the Job boom created all along the Gulf Coast region as a result of this disaster. What has actually taken place is far more sinister and in keeping with what we have all come to expect from "Big Business".

For the past two weeks now BP has "Practically" across the board cut the work week of its cleanup workers in half and often times worse. Workers that were baited with a 12 hour a day 7 days a week job are not getting quite what was advertised.

So for example a cleanup worker who was making $12 an hour at an 84 hour week is now making $12 an hour for an average 23 hour week an in some extreme cases a 12 hour week. Maybe its just me but could it be the BP is trying to get its cleanup work force to hit the road on its own accord thus being unable to claim unemployment and averting the headlines of a massive layoff, and then of course that begs the question who then will cleanup the mess.

This "economic windfall" has just fallen though the floor and in many cases has left workers in worse financial crisis then when they originally were hired with BP. Many workers have had to relocate to the regions in which they have been assigned, some signing 6 month contracts with local apartment complexes in the area to avert the 6 hour roundtrip commute after having worked a 12 hour shift. Now these people find themselves with greater financial hardships than when they were actually looking for work. And just for good measure BP has also taken back the half hour of paid lunch as the cherry on top.

So now with the oil looming ever closer to our countries major beaches BP appears to be forcing out the very people it has had trained to cleanup this mess and let me tell you they are dropping like flies pursuing other more lucrative offers like waffle house for example.

Oh and of course if you do quit one of BP's contractors you are going to have a fun time hiring on with another because of the conflict of interest. Just thought you would like to know what is going on behind the scenes.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by WWJFKD]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
They wsere on 84 hour weeks?

When do they sleep?...

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by niblo
They wsere on 84 hour weeks?

When do they sleep?...

Sleep is overrated, I'd give my right arm to be back at 84 and I am sure most would agree with me. In all likelihood I will get 12 hours next week in the 3 days I am scheduled to work.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
lol... where's your corroborating proof? Where's the reality this thread's title insinuates? *FLOP*

So you're telling us you are a BP clean up Worker? Why haven't we heard from you before?

[edit on 7/22/2010 by Megiddodiddo]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Megiddodiddo
lol... where's your corroborating proof? Where's the reality this thread's title insinuates? *FLOP*

Um! I work for them. (horses mouth)

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Megiddodiddo
So you're telling us you are a BP clean up Worker? Why haven't we heard from you before?

If you worked 84 hours a week you see what it does to your desire to post on ATS.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Megiddodiddo

Well he has posted around ATS for awhile.

I even liked his posts so much in the past I marked him a friend.

I honestly don't see any reason why WWJFKD would lie about this.

I am not just blindly believing him or anything, I am just saying, all things considered, it seems like he may have actually had his hours cut significantly this week. It's reasonable.

To WWJFKD-
I am sorry to hear about your hours getting cut man. I hope you can get something worked out. Good luck, and be careful.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Well if you read the thread.. he is one of the workers....

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Of the couple threads I read on ATS today that you've posted in (this one and the one you authored) you have been nothing but mean!

This man already stated that he worked cleanup!

I'm going to read a few more of your posts to see if that's your usual "tone" or if you're just having a bad day.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Ok, Keep in mind the weather has been bad. Over the past two weeks I keep seeing them say that they had to postpone the days efforts because of bad weather. It could be the case, and I would Imagine the two are related.

86 hour work weeks aren't that bad, there are 168 hours in a week.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
well, good to have someone so close to everything to help us out then.

what rubbish reasons have they been giving everybody for the cuts in hours and is there anything else happening worth mentioning?

BP employs half my town and I hear theyre cutting pensions massively here.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Well I worked drill rigs in WY, and 7 12's was the schedule...do the math. It gives you exactly enough time to get back to housing, eat, shower, sleep, go back to the rig. If you know the next day will be easy (Not so often) you can go into town and throw back a few drinks with your crew.

Not exactly a glamorous life, but it pays the bills quite well for a working man.

Like the gulf, most workers are from further away (Knew one guy who came form santa cruz CA to WY for a 2 week on/2 week off shift!) And cutting hours would do exactly what the OP claims: Effectively laying off the workforce, because when going to work ends up costing more than not working, you don't go to work.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by drsmooth23
Ok, Keep in mind the weather has been bad. Over the past two weeks I keep seeing them say that they had to postpone the days efforts because of bad weather. It could be the case, and I would Imagine the two are related.

86 hour work weeks aren't that bad, there are 168 hours in a week.

That is worth mentioning but on the ground it looked alot different and even prior to the storm even being on the map BP out of the goodness of their hearts "I'm sure" gave 500 of a 700 man force a couple days off with orders to return "only" when our supervisors contacted us. 4 days later we returned to find that we were now on a 4 days on 3 days off, 3 days on 4 days off schedule. And keep in mind if you don't get assigned to the beach your going home with only a 4 hour day.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

I hope work changes for you soon! Thinking of all of you in your position and wishing to God there were something I could do to help!

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by niblo
well, good to have someone so close to everything to help us out then.

what rubbish reasons have they been giving everybody for the cuts in hours and is there anything else happening worth mentioning?

BP employs half my town and I hear theyre cutting pensions massively here.

In a nut shell - 50 people can cleanup the beach in 2 hours every morning (So far) this will change after a few good storms. Alex as far off as it was gave us a good deal more tar patties to contend with, and who knows what this new up and comer will produce.

The issue is so may people were guaranteed all these hours and made major preparations to make this job work and now they are treading water just trying to keep their head above it until the real slicks start coming in. BP is just keeping these people on by a string to see who all they can shake loose without having to initiate a mass layoff which would be yet another public relations nightmare for them.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeenMyShare
reply to post by WWJFKD

I hope work changes for you soon! Thinking of all of you in your position and wishing to God there were something I could do to help!

Just keep us in your prayers, that always works for me. We live here and we really are making a concerted effort to clean up this mess, our kids play on these beaches too.

I know others are out of work, and I'm not looking for sympathy, it just irks me how these big businesses continually stick it to hard working people and it just perpetuates itself. It's like it will always be standard fare because no one knows how to do it any differently.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

Sad truth. Clean-up is not about the oil I am afraid. It is about cleaning up the image of BP to get the stocks back inline.

Sorry to hear about your reality and will pray for your health.

Thanks for taking the time to tell your story to us.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by zroth

You hit the nail n the head. It is so sad to see the way BP is acting like this is another day at the office. They get these people to bust their rears and what do they get out of it, long days and even some very sick. It is rediculous how peple are being treated.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

I was wondering as i am sure others are to what kind of protection are they giving to you guys? I will understand if you can't or don't want to answer that question. I hope you are keeping safe and not getting sick. Everyone of you that are doing this job that should never have to be done in he first place have earned alot of respect from me.In all actuality you guys could be compared to the men and women at war in Iraq and Afghanistan. This could be considered a war against the oil. So with that being said, THANK YOU for your hard work. Please keep us informed when and if you can. Everyone on ATS will be glad to get some info from someone that is on the front line of this war. Nobody gives the real truth about whats going on down there. Please stay healthy and I hope things get better for you guys and for all of us.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tsurfer2000h

Thank you for your kind words. Everything you are hearing about the lack of protective gear is true. We are wearing rubber booties, nitrile gloves (surgeons gloves) and a company T-shirt. We believe we are in danger and have reconciled our own lives because we are not going to leave our homes and flee from this thing so we might as well stick it to BP and make a little money in the process. I don't liken us to the hero's of our military, but I understand what you are saying.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join