It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BLM Rounding up the Mustangs AGAIN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
We've got a brief update on the plight of the American Mustangs out in the desert southwest of the USA.

As those who watched our ATSNews Special Report: :The Mustang Conspiracy" are aware, the U.S. Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has been rounding up the Federally Protected Wild Mustangs for the past several months and putting them in pens on private land.

The BLM keeps claiming they are doing this because the range can't support the herd and the horses are in danger of dying from dehydration and or starvation. All of the evidence we've seen indicates this bunk, if you want to find out why, watch the Mustang Conspiracy video here: media.abovetopsecret.com...

A horse lover and artist named Laura Leigh, from Reno, Nevada, filed suit last week in Federal Court to get the latest round up stopped. While the Judge did call an Emergency Hearing, he was convinced by the BLM's spokesperson that the horses were in dire straights and had to be rounded up immediately, in what they were now calling, an Emergency Roundup. It appears the BLM wasn't exactly "accurate" in what they told the Judge (no surprise there for me).

Watch George Knapp's latest report and decide for yourself.
www.8newsnow.com...
(Click on the video player to the right of the page.)

Springer...

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I find it amazing (and appalling) that a federal agency can consistently and repeatedly misrepresent the truth to a judge and get away with it.

Is there no penalty or avenue of redress the community can take to alert higher authorities that this affront to the law is going unchecked?

Is civil litigation the limit of our power? Don't these people work FOR US?

I'm afraid that the message isn't getting out despite the noble efforts of a few conscientious people.

There are some seriously shocking elements in this event (taken as a whole).

I know ATS isn't all about horses, but for crying out loud people; at least let your neighbors know this is "how things appear to be done" in our halls of government because the offenders seem to be getting away with things that people like me and you would go to jail for.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Maxmars]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
From the article:

The BLM says the public range can support around 4,000 cattle but only 400 or so horses.

Uhm ... WRONG.

Cattle / Acre

www.cattlepages.com...
Different areas have different stocking rates. Central Missouri has a rate of 1 cow/calf pair per 2.5 acres. SE Kansas is 6 acres per pair, so as you can see you'll need to check out the area you are in. There are differing ways to pasture, too. We use Management Intensive Grazing & we're able to run 13 pairs on 10 acres.

So basically around 3 acres per head on average. My first job was for a local rancher who had the contract for running cattle on the numerous Battlefield farms and others in and around Gettysburg. To my recollection we kept each and every at around the 3 acres per head ratio to ensure proper and sufficient grazing

I've also had a Lot of experience breeding and raising Trotters and Pacers here in southcentral PA and our yearling fields, one for the colts and one for the fillies, were each about 50 acres a piece ... with nary more than 10 to a dozen in either.

Mares with foals, for the first few weeks at least, were each given their own "turn out" paddock of about an acre or so. Once turned out to a field, 3-4 acres per pair minimum.

Now Granted these were rather lush, prime pastures, and Yes horses are a bit more "hard" on the land.

BUT ... there's just no way in Hell a given range can support up to 4,000 cattle ... yet only 400 horses.

No matter the range. No matter the quality nor amount of available vegetation.

They're flat out lying ... OR ... fudging the numbers and data to support their claim.

[speeling]

[edit on 22-7-2010 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   
There needs to be transparency in where the billions of American tax payers moneys have been allocated to through BLM as caretakers of OUR country!

These Horses belong to US.

We need to be able to go in and film every step of the round up and that is not happening!

They have EVERYTHING to hide from the public and have lied to the courts and to the people by this farce.

BLM needs to be overhauled and those responsible brought to Justice!

We all know what this means, what is happening right now far from the public eye, and it is unconscionable, we need stealthy reporters to go in and risk getting caught to get footage to PROVE what the real situation is both from the standpoint of the Horses and from this tragic and deplorable evil act against them.

This is THEIR land. They were here long before the Courts and BLM, and are a direct link to one of the most important species in humanities history. Without the wild horses we would have never evolved technologically to where we are today.

I am PISSED and VERY very hurt.

Our oceans are being raped and our animals are ALL becoming ENDANGERED.

WE ARE NEXT!!!

posted on Oct, 1 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It seems the BLM is up to their eyeballs in yet another mess surrounding the Federally protected Wild Mustangs of the American West.

Apparently they've been selling the Mustangs to someone who obviously thinks slaughtering horses is a good business (he's looking for investors to build or buy his own slaughterhouse).

The issue is when you buy wild Mustangs from the BLM you sign a contract forbidding you from slaughtering the horses.

The BLM is required by Federal Law to protect these amazing animals, part of the protection should certainly include making sure the people buying the horses aren't likely to make a quick, and significant, profit from that sale, in direct violation of Federal Law. But, with the economy in the toilet and the U.S. being broke Congress passed a special rider allowing the BLM to sell the horses sans restrictions, ANY restrictions.

It's a comedy of mismanagement, greed, and stupidity, they round them up for reasons that can't be validated, then they can't afford to keep them (why not RELEASE them back to the wild? there's a novel idea) so they bypass the law and dump them for $10.00 a head.

When you can buy a horse for $10.00 and turn right around and sell it to a slaughterhouse for $100.00+ that's a significant profit. All you have to do is haul them from the Government owned lands to the nearest kill house.

Here's a snippet from the linked story, the last bit is a direct quote of the man who is buying the Mustangs,

Davis is a longtime advocate of horse slaughter. By his own account, he has ducked Colorado law to move animals across state lines and will not say where they end up. He continues to buy wild horses for slaughter from Indian reservations, which are not protected by the same laws. And since 2010, he has been seeking investors for a slaughterhouse of his own.

"Hell, some of the finest meat you will ever eat is a fat yearling colt," he said. "What is wrong with taking all those BLM horses they got all fat and shiny and setting up a kill plant?"

I'd say the person who said that would likely have no compunction selling the Mustangs he purchased from the BLM to a slaughterhouse. Obviously that's just a hunch on my part but I think it's worth finding out what really happened to the 1,700 horses he's bought since 2009, don't you?

The BLM says it has NOT SOLD any horses without the restrictions out of fear of public outrage, I don't buy it.

Read this for yourself and see if you think this guy, and the BLM are doing what Federal Law says they have to do...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

For those who are new to the site, here's a video interview we did with George a couple years ago on this subject... www.abovetopsecret.com...

Springer...
edit on 10-1-2012 by Springer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
For crying out loud! I would have thought that after all the evidence came out, and even one of our few diligent journalists shared this with the public; there would have been major fallout in the BLM.

Yet here they are still skirting around the rules and remaining seemingly invisible to any moral authority or meaningful oversight and accountability.

How can the wanton eradication of herds of wild mustangs be apparently 'brushed aside' without any real reaction from the public? Isn't there some public register where their activities can be reviewed publicly?

edit on 2-10-2012 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Protect Mustangs at www.facebook.com... Calls for Peaceful Protests to STOP the Roundups and STOP the BLM from selling federally protected, indigenous wild horses to kill-buyers!

It's time to organize candlelight vigils and peaceful protests (large & small) so NO MORE wild horses will die from roundups or be tortured by the helicopters and no more will be sold to kill-buyers. Spread awareness in your communities and let your friends, family and neighbors know they can contact Congress if they don't like their tax dollars used to fund roundups.

Stop the Roundup$.
If you don't like the cruelty and deaths at roundups contact your senators and congresspeople and request they stop it now. Congress approves funding for roundups. YOUR tax dollars are paying to wipe out America's wild indigenous horses.

Here is the press release to share with your local media: protectmustangs.org...

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Text OrangeText
www.facebook.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>Protect Mustangs at www.facebook.com... Calls for Peaceful Protests to STOP the Roundups and STOP the BLM from selling federally protected, indigenous wild horses to kill-buyers!

It's time to organize candlelight vigils and peaceful protests (large & small) so NO MORE wild horses will die from roundups or be tortured by the helicopters and no more will be sold to kill-buyers. Spread awareness in your communities and let your friends, family and neighbors know they can contact Congress if they don't like their tax dollars used to fund roundups.

Stop the Roundup$.
If you don't like the cruelty and deaths at roundups contact your senators and congresspeople and request they stop it now. Congress approves funding for roundups. YOUR tax dollars are paying to wipe out America's wild indigenous horses.

Here is the press release to share with your local media: protectmustangs.org...
www.mustangwild.com (photos)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by angelfarmthunder

Thank you, I will try to work up a letter to the editor in my area soon. I am sorry this is a reality in the world we live in. I suppose for the sake of fairness when I do the article to the editor I will give both sides to argument in hopes people can come to a decision that will get them active in calling congressmen, senators and organizations locally.

new topics

top topics

join