It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A mess age to all those, like me, GUILTY of religious trolling...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I saw this and thought of ATS and the religious trolling that goes on here...

Remember folks - As long as you fervently understand that we are ALL wrong, and that none of us are RIGHT in our beliefs, we're onto a winner.

'Fundies' of all descriptions should heed this message.

Parallex.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Parallex]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
to post the video u need to copy the code after v= on the URL

not all these stuff

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Thanks man - I'd got that, but the preview function inserts lots of funky code without me saying so - got there in the end though.

Parallex.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Oh the irony, why did you not even bother to change your avatar before posting this thread?

Edit to add:
This board would be 100% better if the mods enforced its purpose which is to discuss conspiracies in religion. How many threads here are about actual conspiracy? Most of them are just some retarded point and they tack conspiracy on some how, like "Children get taught to read the bible, OMG the christian child conspiracy!!!"

Good reading: www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 22-7-2010 by zaiger]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by zaiger
Oh the irony, why did you not even bother to change your avatar before posting this thread?

I think I'm trying to 'own up' that I'm a hardcore atheist - and to admit that I may have it wrong, if everyone does as well....

I'm trying to introduce the idea that certainty is arrogance, and none of us want to be arrogant.

Parallex.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I like messing with hard core Catholics... They get all angry and irrational and its fun. I come from a half religious half hard core atheist family. Family dinner at one house is debating physics and the other is debating religion. Message boards are a great way for me to practice my atheist side of the argument. I haven't lost one argument yet with my family and I thank message boards for that.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parallex
I'm trying to introduce the idea that certainty is arrogance, and none of us want to be arrogant.

Parallex.

Well, it is certain the assumption that an aversion to religion also means one has to be an athiest, is illogical, as well as a creator god as a necessity to have consciousness continue beyond death of the body.

"Life after death" does not imply "God exists".
"Spiritual life" does not imply "religious".

(And what's a "mess age" anyway? (even if I do see some relevance to that particular word combo))

[edit on 7/22/2010 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Wouldn't it be great if all religious threads were removed from ATS and just repalced with this video.

likey likey.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
A lot of times in my debates people mistake being backed into a corner as arrogance on the aggressors 's part. I see no harm into debating religion. I am an Atheist and am proud to be one through all the crap I went through growing up.

The point that most people misunderstand is that supernatural belief's cannot be absolutely proven either way , you can just make really good arguments or really bad ones! God as a supernatural entity of the sort as the only attribute given would be some existence would have to be a 50/50 chance . However , when you add up all these preconceived notions and attributes pertaining to said entity the odds can go up and far more likely down.

So instead of being arrogant or assuming arrogance come prepared for a damn good debate and if you can't take the heat in the kitchen ..... get out!

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnySeagull

Wouldn't it be great if all religious threads were removed from ATS and just repalced with this video.

likey likey.

Well, this one was sent to the BTS hospice to die, so there ya go!

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Seriously how does one restrain him/her self from trolling religious people?

If someone is gullible enough to believe in 2000 year old fairy tales and centering not only their own lives, but lives of their progeny around aforementioned, then getting trolled on the internets is least of their problems.

Not atheist btw, but I do think that religion is one of most effective (And brutal) forms of slavery invented by human kind, and for every good effect that it had on our species, it also had 20 bad.It should be outlawed in all shapes and forms, and most likely will be as a next step in evolution of our society.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

That kind of says alot about the ATS staffs pro-religion agenda doesn't it?

So blindingly obvious.

Parallex.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   

reply to post by EnlightenUp

So blindingly obvious.

Parallex.

Personally, the farthest I'll go with that is to say I have noted throughout my experience here, a lack of particularly staunchly atheist staff, yes. There seem to be a slight bias. I won't take the extra step and call it an "agenda" of any kind. Perhaps some "blindingly obvious", but of it's existence, not it's actual nature.

I just feel it odd you feel persecuted for your beliefs. Somehow it all feels familiar.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by IKnowKungFu

It should be outlawed in all shapes and forms, and most likely will be as a next step in evolution of our society.

Really? Because history shows us that when you limit religion you get Fascist regimes. North Korea, Soviet Russia and The Khmer Rouge.

reply to post by Parallex

So blindingly obvious.

Parallex.

No the staff are "pro-conspiracy discussion" this thread had nothing to do with any conspiracy of any type, that is why it was moved here.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by zaiger]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:52 PM
link   

I think I'm trying to 'own up' that I'm a hardcore atheist - and to admit that I may have it wrong, if everyone does as well....

Parallex.

here here!

i gladly relinquish all rights to being right or even thinking i'm right.
i would rather be wrong than an arrogant a-hole.
i can be a graceful wrong, any day of the week!

thanks for the reminder.

-----------------------

Originally posted by zaiger
How many threads here are about actual conspiracy?

i was pretty much under the impression that the conspiracy in religion, IS religion.

but that's just me.
i might very well be WRONG.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I loved the video here's another one:

I may be wrong in my beliefs, but if I really believed that, I'd be looking into something else. I used to participate very heavily in the religious conspiracy forums when I fisrt became a member. I soon learned that most of these threads are just trolling and baiting. People come into these threads with their minds already made up. If you're into slamming others' beliefs or proving them wrong, go for it. That's not my style. I will attempt to correct erroneous information, but I no longer get into arguments. You interpret the information or evidence your way, and I'll do the same my way. On that I can admit, we may both be wrong.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

I agree 100%! I don't get the whole "just understand that you may be wrong" call. The reason I have the opinions I do is because I've observed the world around me and drawn conclusions. If I believed I was wrong, I'd change those conclusions. Until something presents itself to show that I am wrong about something, why should I assume that I am wrong?

I know what you mean about being dragged into religious "debates" here on ATS/BTS as well. Almost 80% of the time I know it is just a troll or a baiter, but I JUST CAN'T HELP IT!
. It gets kinda depressing sometimes, when you correct some erroneous information, then a couple days later, someone posts a similar post, with that same wrong information, you correct that too, then again, a couple days later, again.

I guess I'm some kind of masochist, but I do like a good back and forth. And once in a while, oh joy, I actually learn something new and interesting!

Still, as far as the original topic goes, the first video was kind of unfair in that it only showed a skewed view of one side, where we don't know what the surrounding text may have said. While it is definitely present in many religious folk, I find a certain arrogance of "you are so foolish, you person beneath me" more common on ATS/BTS with the atheists (a generalisation, I know, but still). There are of course, a lot of level-headed people who are comfortable enough in their beliefs to not feel the insecure need to belittle others. Those people are usually a pleasure to chat with, and the kind who occasionally throw a nugget of interesting information my way.

I'd LIKE to think I'm like that. I may be right, but it is better to be polite!

[edit on 23-7-2010 by babloyi]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by babloyi

Originally posted by babloyi

It gets kinda depressing sometimes, when you correct some erroneous information, then a couple days later, someone posts a similar post, with that same wrong information, you correct that too, then again, a couple days later, again.

The next time you correct erroneous information, save a copy of that post as a word document. When it comes up again, just cut and paste.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Anyone who claims to truly know one way or another, Is a moron.

Nobody knows.

Not believing is fine and discussing and debating opinions is fine too.... But ATS (along with many other sites and the internet in general) seems to bring out the worst in people, Not only in discussions about religion, but all manner of topics.

The levels of civility and understanding and courtesy are sadly lacking these days...

And all those people who make threads just to argue or gloat or run down other people's opinions and beliefs are just pathetic and insecure in their own beliefs/opinions.... that's all it boils down too.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by babloyi
If I believed I was wrong, I'd change those conclusions.

It's not about believing something that you believe is wrong, it's about believing something, thinking you're right, but not being ATTACHED to being right. In other words, your COULD be wrong. This is what I believe with my whole heart... and I may be wrong.

Great thread, Parallex!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join