It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thief Sues victim for £90, 000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Crook frogmarched to police station with 'THIEF' sign around his neck sues employer for £90,000 for 'being humiliated'

A man who was marched to the police station with a sign round his neck branding him a 'thief' is suing the boss he stole from for an estimated £90,000 for the humiliation he suffered.

Mark Gilbert, 41, was paraded through the streets with a homemade cardboard sign strung around his neck saying 'THIEF. I stole £845 am on my way to the police station'.

His employer Simon Cremer, 46, forced him to walk to the police station in October 2008 after discovering the father-of-three had written out a cheque for himself and taken it to Cash Converters.

Now Gilbert, who admitted his crime to police and was let off with a caution, is to sue Mr Cremer, who runs a floor-fitting firm, for a staggering £90,000, claiming he was left traumatised and unable to work.

Another day another ridiculous court case in Topsy Turvy Britain. The fact that this case has even been considered is quite frankly ridiculous. But not surprising unfortunately, we have seen in the recent pass a case where a man was jailed for attacking two men who had tied up and threatened his family. The case was eventually thrown out but the money time and stress spent in the process must have been terrible.

I believe that considering he was found guilty of a crime, and cautioned, he should not receive any compensation. He got what he deserved and lets face it, it was pretty funny.

Yes yes we shouldn't take the law into our own hands, but what would have happened if these guys hadn't publicly humiliated him, the thief would have got off scot free, with not even a slap on the wrist.

The most retarded part of the whole fiasco;

“We are having to make an out of court offer, very reluctantly, on the advice of a barrister."
“I believe he’s got insurance to pay for his legal costs. Basically I cannot afford to fight the case, I haven’t got the money. If I went to court and fought it my costs alone would be £30,000 to £40,000 - that’s even if I won.”

Mr Cremer the victim ^

I personally will be following this case to see what unfolds, the thief is taking a big risk, because if the case is thrown out which it will be, he will have to fit the bill of the defence even with insurance.

What do you think ATS over the top justice, or just desserts for a miserable thief?

Sources;

www.fmwf.com... ng-humiliated/

www.eadt.co.uk...

www.dailymail.co.uk...

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Big Raging Loner]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
What's a "caution"? Is that just a warning?

How can you commit fraud lie that for 845 or $1,291 and be let off on a warning?

Imagine committing grand larceny and getting a warning.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
And the lopping off of thieves' hands was barbaric?

What kind of "justice" system even allows a man to file suit against the person he victimized?

[edit on 7/22/2010 by eNumbra]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

It's the UK's fantastic legal institution, coupled with solicitors with the moral awareness of a cabbage, who are not endemic to the UK exclusively of course.

Thisguyrighthere, that's exactly what it is, basically you are taken to the station told off, "you bad boy, bad" then sent home.

So basically the thief would not have a criminal record and would be free to find employment elsewhere, without his new employer knowing about his previous crime, allowing him to continue stealing unabated.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
It's gotten to be like that in the states.

If you climb into someones window to steal from them and fall and hurt yourself, you can sue.

Oh yeah, murderers, rapists and celebrities get a slap on the wrist and 3-5 years while some goofball caught with a doobie gets 15.

The legal system is screwed.

I say we jail all of the lawyers and politicians.

as for the guy with the sign, NICE.

A little humiliation now and then is a better deterrent for nonviolent idiocy but the guy still should have been charged with felony theft and done a little jail time and paid it all back.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Definitely, over here we cannot defend ourselves properly from intruders into our homes. We use appropriate force i.e. a fist fight basically. I don't fancy having a fist fight with a junky or two who have broken into my home.

There was another case some time ago, about a scumbag in Liverpool who tried to steal this guys motorbike, anyway the bikes owner comes out and confronts him, so the little scumbag starts a fight with him.

The biker just stands there patiently until eventually the scumbag tries to punch him, so the biker responds with a falcon punch to the guys head knocking him straight to the ground. This was all caught on camera and run by the Sun newspaper.

The scumbag eventually became the laughing stock of the town and moved away. So what does he do take his lumps and move on? Nope he tries to sue the Sun newspaper for a few mill
can't make this stuff up.

Here's the video;

My favourite bit, the guy closing the gate apologetically at the end.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Big Raging Loner

That video was so awesome. Thank you for making my day.

Nothing happier than seeing a calm, collected mature man trash that little punk with one nice hit. And it was a weak hit too. The kid was a complete wimp in reality.

That guy was so calm. He knew he would trash him. It was HILARIOUS!

Now that video shows you what I call, real justice. Did you see the way all the people laughed at him? Priceless.

The OP is a great story of justice as well, except the part where the victim gets sued. That's dumb.

Hopefully people will have common sense and side with the victims not the criminals.

Otherwise, what good is the law for if it cannot bring us justice? You have no obligation to follow laws anymore if they become this pointless.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   

You have to realize that there is a difference between criminal and civil law. Embezzling of funds is a theft, but humilation is a matter for the civil courts. It is the product of a sick system that a thief can sue the people who are hurt by his crimes, but that's the way it is nowdays.

What a crazy world we live in.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Yeah
total glass jaw, apparently the biker is an Iraq war vet with two black belts in Ju-Jitsu and something else.

Would have loved it if he'd said;

"time to take out the trash!"

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Captain Reynolds

I actually didn't know that! Have a star

I will admit legal matters are not my strong point all I have to go on is my own moral compass. I just feel particularly bad for the victims here their legal fees are extortionate.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Crime and punishment are something that many people often do not think about, especially those who committ such. The person who tried to steal the money from his boss, should consider all things before sueing the person who caught him. The question should be, if he was caught by the police, what would have been his punishment under the law of the land? Would he have ended up in jail? Is a bit of humiliation worth not going to jail? Yes he did end up having to walk to the police station with a sign on his neck, but he is out and free, not sitting in a jail, and his children having to be taken care of by the state. Hopefully the courts will look at this and remind the individual of the max consequences for his actions and ask does he really want to proceed, knowing that the gains he may get will ultimately go to pay for a lawyer to defend him in a criminal court case.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sdcigarpig

The worst part was the victims spent longer in jail than the thief
and the thief is having his legal fees paid by insurance. Shocking really.

I agree with you I hope he gets laughed out of court!

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Is that a ghetto or something? What motivates that sort of behavior? It must be getting some sort of reward from some source or it wouldnt happen.

I couldnt imagine living in a place where groups of roving retards will so readily and so hostilely take up my time.

I wonder, did that guy attempting grand theft, committing trespass and assault also get hit with a "caution"?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I don't think anything happened to the assailant in this case by way of prosecution anyway, he was laughed out of the area though.

Ghetto? I would say it's just your average working class area in Northwest England. I used to do deliveries in this area and I have to say it is really nice in parts, and even in the roughest areas everyone was really pleasant and courteous.

This guy in the video was just the neighbourhood bully and a pathetic excuse for one at that. If he had been under age the biker would have been strung up. That is the main lack of personal defence we have in the UK, we essentially have a Clockwork Orange society, where we fear the youth. Unfortunately without the amusing costumes!

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Maybe the thief is having trouble getting another job because he's, well, a thief.

Okay the sign was a poor decision but understandable considering that a crime had been committed.

Madness, just madness.

top topics

join