It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Phobos & Deimos still missing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Some years ago, I read a lot about the two moons of Mars, Phobos & Deimos. It seemed they were no longer in orbit.
Are they still missing, or have someone managed to prove that they still orbit Mars.
I mean, whith all the equipment placed on the surface novadays, it should be a piece of cake to verify this.
Or...?

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I think there was a story about this not too long ago, where they were showing Phobos's shadow being cast on Mar's surface.

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Glen W. Deen made those statements back in 2001 and recanted them in 2002. So Phobos and Deimos are still hanging around Mars.

Original Article Phobos and Deimos Have Vanished

home1.gte.net...&deimos_vanished.htm

Oklahoma on the night of August 14, 2001 and again on August 19, 2001 to observe Mars himself in the 24-inch f/16 Cassegrain telescope. On both nights, neither moon was observed, while fainter stars were observed. If only Phobos were missing and Deimos were present, one might argue that Phobos is a difficult target, and that either the author or his telescope was just not up to the task. However, the author has a personal friend who observed Deimos a few years ago in a 17-inch Dobsonian telescope (but at a higher altitude in the sky). One might also argue that Mars is low in the sky, but the faint stars he observed were just as low.

Admission of Error Phobos Shadows

home1.gte.net...

I was also wrong about Deimos when I published Phobos and Deimos Have Vanished. I sincerely regret that mistake, and I apologize to all of my readers for having made it. Ironically, when I published that mistaken article on August 21, 2000, I had already looked at the photograph that I had taken two days earlier that contained the image of Deimos, but I did not see it at that time. It was not until weeks later that I looked at the same photograph again, and I saw it.

[edit on 17-6-2004 by BlackJackal]

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Thanks for the info.
I wasn't aware of any retraction

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Oppurtunity photographed them each a few months ago...

...along with a bright object in the martian sky that was somewhat under-reported.

new topics

top topics

join