It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 'Up to the Minute' Live Tropical Storm Bonnie and Oil Spill Thread

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I've heard on Fox News that Jindal just declared emergency in Louisiana and want everyone to evacuate...the boats that is.

Anyone else caught that?

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Vitchilo]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

Stay safe friend, stay safe.

And I thank you in advance for any type of actual live reporting that you can provide. It would be a great service to us all.

Good luck!

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by nite owl

It is a NASA photo that I got on Wikimedia Commons. Unfortunately that is the biggest shot they have for that time. This one was taken earlier...April 29...so far these are the two best shots I have found that go that far east:

the most recent one they have there is from June 22.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by DragonFire1024]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonFire1024

Great picture and link. Thank you. I edited the front page and added your link to it.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonFire1024
reply to post by lasertaglover

This was taken on May 24...if they didn't clean up the slick good enough, it might already be there...just underwater. I would think they used a lot of dispersant on this. Florida is at the upper right, the oil slick goes down and out of the photo...

Great photo; thank you.

In the article linked below (which i posted on your thread, but i think also has bearing here), the Texas Tech Univ scientist who has been down there and collected extensive information says/mentions a couple of things that get my attention in how they might apply to a hurricane ~ and they apparently concern him, too, in association with a hurricane:

Regarding the oil: “It’s so thick. It’s like chocolate mousse,” he said, referring to just the fraction on the surface, using his hands to demonstrate its weight. “You can’t even pick it up.”

and

"It’s the plumes, Kendall said. The oil is suspended in mammoth globs below the surface, out of the reach of the best natural dispersant — the sun. The temperatures at those depths are basically preserving the giant globs “like a giant refrigerator.”

"“I think (the plumes are) the beast that we’re going to have to deal with in the future,” he said, especially once more hurricanes and tropical storms stir them.

"And that’s not counting the chemical dispersant BP had poured into the Gulf’s waters to break up the oil."

Regarding the oil *mixed* with the Corexit: "...fears it will make a toxic cocktail, but can’t say for sure yet."

In reading the whole article, just what they've learned so far is happening to the marine life, i cannot see how this is going to bode well for people IF it is possible for a strong tropical storm or hurricane to pick it all up and disperse it.

lubbockonline.com...

I also jotted down what the young lady was saying in the vid i posted earlier about hurricanes (her accent can be a little hard for me to understand): "The marine biologists working for BP have said to the fishermen that the transducers on the bottom of the boat, including (things) dropped into the plumes ..." are what are giving them a temperature reading seven (7) degrees higher than normal in the Gulf waters.

Anyone know what a transducer is? I'm way out of my league on that sort of stuff.

I'm not trying to be gloomy, only realistic.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SeesFar

Yeah, it is that part of her video that does get confusing. I know what an ultrasonic transducer is, but that would not have anything to do with what she was talking about. That is why people have to remain calm, no matter what. Hysteria leads to poor reaction.

And by the way, your article was very good and I did post it on the front page of this thread as well. Thanks.

Knowledge is power.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover
reply to post by nite owl

How much gets into the air? How long can it stay in the air? Would it all come back down quicker through rain, or simply ease back down and cause eye and throat irritations everywhere.

I'm in east Texas and have a friend near the TX/LA border. There's a thread in the oil spill about toxic rain. I posted there that my friend had emptied and scoured an above ground pool a few days before rains came into our area 2, 3 weeks ago. The pool is not under any trees, they live way out in the country so no high traffic, no one lives there but her 70 y/o father and he was out of town, so no interaction from anyone/anything with that pool she had cleaned out. Rain put about 9, 10" of water in that cleaned pool. There was oil sheen on it, unmistakeably.

So i know it gets into the rain and i know it has traveled as far as 60 miles west of Shreveport.

I also reported that she continued doing her weedeating after the rain started and got soaking, wring-your-clothes-out, wet. Her shirt stained brown from that rainwater (brown staining did not wash out) and she was sick with burning eyes, flu-like symptoms, nausea and a sore throat for days after getting rain soaked. THAT is the reason i'm so worried about this storm that's tracking our way.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SeesFar

It would be absolutely awesome if your friend could post some pictures anywhere of the oil sheen in that pool. Do you think it is possible?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Yeah, hysteria never helps any situation. I hope someone shows up who will explain that a transducer on the bottom of a boat is and what it does OR if there is such a thing.

Good, solid information (as sorely lacking as it is) is what can help all of us understand what's going on.

Glad the link was helpful to you.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover
reply to post by SeesFar

It would be absolutely awesome if your friend could post some pictures anywhere of the oil sheen in that pool. Do you think it is possible?

She works such long, long hours in this heat, 4 of 2 off and/or 3 on 1 off, that it's hard for her to get a chance to do much. Her phone wouldn't grab the sheen and she doesn't have any other camera. She did promise me to grab some water samples out of it for the rain water sampling project Cloudsinthesky is trying to get in motion.

You can bet i'll be doing all i can to catch water if rain does come through here associated with 3/Bonnie. The largest pan i have that i could set out is about 15" square, but surely that would collect enough water to show sheen or the absence of it, don't you think?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Oh, OP, you've got a LOT of good links up on the front page.

Great job!

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Tropical Storm Bonnie an projected path. Doesn't look good for the gulf.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by crazydaisy]

[edit on 22-7-2010 by crazydaisy]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SeesFar

That could very well work.

But, and I am definitely no type of forensics expert and would welcome anyone who is to chime in here, I would be concerned about any type of contanimation in a large, metal object like that. Just a suggestion, and again, if there are any experts around, or someone with a better idea, now is the time, but I would find smaller glass jars or bottles, that you could first boil in order to purify them. If they have a smaller opening, use some type of funnel that you could keep absolutely clean, again, to help reduce anything else from making content with the sample.

If you could do several smaller ones, that might even help with the process. Anyway, just a suggestion. I might be totally wrong.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I think Stormpulse is a very handy source for seeing the stormtrack as well as the underlying geology of the Gulf of Mexico.

My bet is that this storm will come aground in Texas between the TX-Louisiana border and High Island on the Texas Coast.

My prayer is that this depression fails to juice up to a hurricane.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

It is really awesome of you to post those graphics for us!

The trajectory is absolutely horrible. But it gets me wondering some things by looking at it from a regional perspective. What affects will it have over the oil spill is of course a big question. But how will it affect from New Orleans eastwards. They do not look like they are in line at all with the storm in reagrds to a direct hit in anyway, but will it have storm surge coming from that direction?

And what about where it is projected to impact? Texas does not seem to be in a good spot either. Besides nailing the west side of the LA state, from Galveston, to Houston, to possibly even up towards Dallas, what is the potential of an oil-cane Bonnie going to do there?

And what about farther to the west of the projected landfall area? Storm surge issues there as well, I would imagine. Could the area impacted extend as far as say Brownsville?

Or again, just maybe it will help to disperse the oil somehow. One has to have some kind of hope, right? Regardless of the odds.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by lasertaglover]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
world. Watch "Rescue: Saving the Gulf" at 8 p.m. ET Saturday and Sunday on CNN.

New Orleans, Louisiana (CNN) -- Retired Coast Guard Adm. Thad Allen said Thursday that a cap placed over the damaged well in the Gulf of Mexico will remain sealed even if a tropical storm forces vessels monitoring the area to evacuate. A sealed cap means no oil is escaping.

Allen, who is leading the federal response to the spill, said sensors and extensive monitoring have allowed observers to "rule out any indications there might be a leak." His confidence in the integrity of the well "improved dramatically" within the past few days after he examined data, he said.

Allen said there would be a "decision point" on whether to evacuate the area about 9 p.m. ET Thursday, possibly forcing the rig digging a relief well to halt and delay work on the well for at least 10 days.

He added that the rigs digging the relief wells are large and slow, and need a longer window of time to fully disconnect and evade the storm. However, the cap currently sealing the well will remain closed, keeping oil from flowing out.

While the well remains shut in, BP will continue to do extensive monitoring of the well bore. If the storm prompts the evacuation of the vessels controlling the monitoring, the well will remain shut in until the vessels can return.

Gulf Coast Oil Spill
Joe Biden
BP
Kent Wells, senior vice president of BP, called it an "important decision."

BP is also considering a tactic called "static kill" that could help seal the broken well. The process involves pumping mud into the well to force oil back into the reservoir below.

Wells said BP has gotten approval from Allen to begin preparing for the process, but the company will still need to seek the government's final approval before actually carrying out a "static kill."

The operation would follow the installation of casing in the well, Allen said Wednesday. However, that process is on hold.

Earlier, Vice President Joe Biden, who visited the Gulf region Thursday for the first time since June 29, said more than 25,000 square miles of federal waters, mainly in the southeast portion of the Gulf of Mexico, will reopen to commercial fishing.

"What we're talking about here is almost one-third of the entire closed areas ... will be open. And we're going to continue to work to see that the rest of it is open ... as soon as we can guarantee that the fish coming out of those waters are edible and safe," Biden said.

During his trip to Theodore, Alabama, the vice president met with several fishermen and addressed concerns they expressed about being able to live as their families have for generations.

"The stuff that hurts the most is the stuff that changes people's way of life," Biden said. "The president and I understand that cleaning up is not the same as recovery."

Meanwhile, officials at the Unified Area Command center say they continue to track the tropical weather and remain in constant communication with the National Hurricane Center, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the Federal Emergency Management Agency, which is ultimately responsible for the safety of the more than 40,000 people currently assisting in recovery and response efforts in the Gulf region.

"The protection of the equipment and crew is paramount to ensure maximum ability to respond to any new challenges a storm may pose to the enormous mission," Rear Adm. Paul Zukunft, the federal on-scene coordinator, said in a news release Thursday.

"We are repositioning assets away from low-lying areas to higher-ground staging areas to protect our ability to respond to the dynamic requirements of the incident," Zukunft said.

Tropical Storm Bonnie showed significant signs of intensification during the overnight hours, with thunderstorm activity increasing, CNN meteorologist Sean Morris said. Several forecast models show that the system is likely to move into the Gulf.

The National Hurricane Center issued tropical storm warnings and watches for portions of the Bahamas and Florida.

Severe weather could also cause an environmental setback. If the tropical weather system makes its way to the Gulf Coast marshlands, it could diminish or erase encouraging signs of recovery from the BP oil spill, according to a scientist who spearheaded the first major examination of the Louisiana coast wetlands.

"Early marsh regrowth could easily be taken away with high winds and waves," said Tom Bianchi, a Texas A&M oceanography professor who has spent his career researching marshes.

Bianchi, who used to live in New Orleans and lost his old home to Hurricane Katrina, said he felt an obligation to find out the status of the coastal wetlands in his former home state.

"I had to return. I had to hope, and I was, honestly, shocked that we saw signs of new life," he said. "The marshes are badly, badly damaged, but we found some regeneration."

Bianchi and researchers from several other universities studied the wetlands off Grand Isle, Louisiana, by boat over the past week, funded by a $114,000 emergency grant from the National Science Foundation. Several days of inspecting the swampy home of mussels, crabs, sea grass and microbial creatures yielded good news for a precious part of the region's food chain, Bianchi said.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

Do you, or do you know anyone that has Stormpulse Plus, and is it worth it? But yes, I do agree, it is a great source of information.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I have a 6 month subscription to Stormpulse, and that suits me very well and is reasonably priced for the information I get.

I imagine there are other services but this is the one I latched onto and am satsified.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Bonnie forecast tracking map. 7:57pm EDT, July 22.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I read earlier today that 750 boats could no longer find oil to skim - difficult to believe unless they have sprayed so many dispersants that it is under the water with the oil and will surge into the coastal regions during the storm. Destroying more wildlife, contaminating more beaches and wet lands.

And we better hope that cap is on good and tight - also what about the other leaks we have seen on the feeds and the methane. In need of a scientist here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join