It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

N. Korea Warns U.S., Threatens to Turn S. Korea Into 'Sea of Fire'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Seems to me N. Korea is pretty 1.) perturbed about being blamed for the sinking of the S. Korean ship and 2.) pretty worried about the exercises, which, you have to admit can be pretty intimidating, particularly when people are running around blaming you for sinking ships, which you are adamantly insisting you didn't. Something's just a bit off about this this time (besides Kim...SOP), but it's hard to put a finger on.

Sea of fire...Chinese oil spill? Light a match? Who knows.

reply to post by frozenspark

Well, China. Sort of. In some ways.

[edit on 7/22/2010 by ~Lucidity]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

Yeah, somethings off, I tend to agree... and lately, as you say, don't be lighting a match near the ocean, for certain....

Seriously, Kim is worried, not just grandstanding, more fear, and that's just as dangerous as aggression....

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Once again nothing will happen,This is just a broken record playing over and over.Please do not adjust your television, normal programming will resume as soon as possible.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Might be. Might not be. Even the boy who cried wolf eventually got eaten by the wolf. Definitely something to notice and keep an eye on, if only for the geopolitical implications in general.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Yes ,i am just getting a bit cynical of all these threats of war the last few months.I dont think any of us really knows what goes on behind the scenes.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

N Korea threatens 'physical response' to US moves

Clinton said it was essential Asian nations enforce the punitive measures to encourage North Korea "to take the steps it must" to stop nuclear development and seek real peace.

Clinton also urged regional leaders to resolve longstanding territorial disputes over the South China Sea, which pit China against Vietnam and other regional countries in squabbles over the vast, potentially-oil rich maritime region.

Nukes and oil. Sea of fire. Japan is now also apparently going to be "monitoring" the war games.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
The problem here is that you never really know when a fanatic will actually do what he threatens - but in the end, they usually do something.

There seems to be a lot of speculation, mis-understanding and unwarranted conspiracy mongering here. Bottom line is this: the US and South Korea have a military alliance that goes back over half a century. To that end, we have just under 30,000 troops stationed in that country as a deterrence against N. Korean invasion. That earlier this year N. Korea most certainly torpedoed a South Korean naval ship killing almost 50 sailors (our allies). That this action constitutes a real act of war [think what would happen if someone sunk a US destroyer, Chinese, or Russian?]. And that in lieu of actually retaliating with deadly force, the US and S. Korea have opted to initiate a military show of strength (exercise) to signal N. Korea that this action was unacceptable. Nothing to dispute here, and it shows restraint on the part of the S. Korea/USA.

But the real problem here is that N. Korea has the definate capability to do enormous damage to S. Korea and the US forces in S. Korea, even if we all agree that eventually N. Korea would lose. At this very moment, the city of Seoul (with nearly half of S. Korea's population living in its greater metropolitan area) lays within ExiSTING N. Korean artillery range. This means, that with virtually no warning, N. Korea could pound Seoul with thousands of conventional, and perhaps non-conventional artillery rounds. Over a million S.Koreans could be killed within hours - and that's all without the use of any nuclear weapons. Turn Seoul into a Sea of Fire - possible!

So, although Kim may be nuts, a braggard, and totally unjustified in his world view - he must be taken deadly serious in these words. We can only hope that Hillary Clinton makes it clear that should he choose to attack S. Korea that whatever else happens, that he and everyting that he holds in his power would be utterly destroyed. That's the sort of message a fanatic understands.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrath5639

azien

you traitor
just wait when kenpachi kicks your ass

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Something's just a bit off about this this time (besides Kim...SOP), but it's hard to put a finger on.

For what it's worth here's what might be 'off' - We're not dealing with the same old 'gang' any longer.

The USA and Korea South recently 'postponed' (in other words backed down) from some military exercises:

USA and S. Korea are postponing next weeks scheduled war games 'apparently fearful of the growing tension on the Korean Peninsula.' The same article goes on to report: 'The U.S. defense chief called North Korea "even more unpredictable than usual."' (link)

In other words - the USA and Korea South seemingly are taking the North Korean Regime more seriously.

Why? Possibly because there's been a recent 'massive' regime change in North Korea. (Supposedly)

Breaking: North Korea names new premier

The article below states the same.

N.Korean Eminence Grise Dead in Mysterious Circumstances

Like I stated in a duplicate thread on this same issue - I believe it pays to look at this new situation with a little less jaundice, but righteous skepticism all the same.

peace

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

postponed their wargames ???
those war games are supposed to be scheduled to this week end

with the Clinton speech i dont think they will postponed it ...
they will loose the face to the world if they do that
showing fear is the enemy of the USA they CANT show that they fear

so the question now ... after today breaking news .. i have see nowhere that they will back up the weekends drill
will the weekend drill happen ? i think yes

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I personally think Kim Jomg Il is a nut case, and so do a lot of other people. How does he think he could do such a thing and get away with it? He surely knows if he attacks the South like he says he will, a giant retaliation will come just a few minutes later, raining down on his little balding pinhead? Here is Lewis Black on North Korea...caution, contains the "F" word.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

You're right. My comment was based on the last time we went through this cycle with N. Korea. It's a deja vu...very similar if not almost identical circumstances. Same players, same military maneuverings, same war game scenarios. The result then was that they got back to the six-party talks and came to some agreement. That seems to be the goal here again.

You know, to me N. Korea seems to be a CFR-centric issue. The Clintons and Obama are more aligned with the CFR's goals than Bush-43 did.

The CFR in general is not overly concerned with the Middle East. Their focus appears to me to be more in Asia. Hillary Clinton also seems more focused on Asia than the ME.

Bush-43 was more aligned with PNAC and the neocons' goals in the Middle East, and his hand had to almost be forced to even deal with N. Korea. Wasn't it Bill Clinton who "rode in to save the day" during the last flare-up with N. Korea?

I guess what I'm saying is that N. Korea seems to be being used as an insignificant pawn in a countering move between the two groups. And I'm not sure that it has much significance beyond this apparent power struggle between the two factions.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

postponed their wargames ???

Yes, just a couple of weeks ago there were 'games' scheduled and the USA and Korea South called them off - postponed them - for a while. This was right around the time word was put out about a regime change.

It just sounds to me that for whatever reasons K. North is starting to garner more attention of a more serious nature - and it's difficult to say why.

Like Lucidity pointed out: 'Something just seems to be off.'

peace

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
This really forces me to put a Rucka Rucka Ali song on here.(Preferably Im a korean.)

Look it up.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
reply to post by 12voltz

N Korea threatens 'physical response' to US moves

This is front page news on CNN.com....

Gen. Han Min-koo, chairman of South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in Tuesday's statement that the exercises will show the military's readiness and resolve.

"We stand fully prepared to respond militarily to any further North Korean provocation," he said.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by CanadianDream420]

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   
i talk with kim on the cb radio-hang on :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
HAYE! what up imperialist dog? this is #1 axe of evil divine wind of
the twin mountain to tell you THAT WHAT UP?-SEA OF FIRE! you fall in to
my burning sea of fire-you go down down down an the flame get higher.
AN IT BURN BURN BURN THE SEA OF FIRE THE SEA OF FIRE.. haye..
funny guy huh- more scotch - keep them coming..that remind me-
WHEN YOU PAY MY BAR TAB? lookee here 60 years..
over one tillyum bucks uncle sucker..boy you make me mad..
and when kim get mad look out see? NO LIE ROUND EYE!- BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA!- no more rope a dope- i float like buggerfly-stink like beet!
say so long DEATH TO AMERICA! -NO JOKE AROUND bub..
I SINK YOU BATTLESLIP! dont mess with texas- ha- funny guy..
hey-put scotch on roks..get it? rebublic of korea -ha- no more joke-
for reals homo..i'm madder than wet hens-so wise up and fry right
or somebody gonna get hurt..DEATH TO AMERICA!::::::::::::::::::::::::
--so ok- yep kims on another bender sounds like..
let him sleep it off..

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The man we love to hate, JB, stated U.S is open to a Nuclear Attack today...

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by frozenspark
I really do not understand North Korea... who has their back? If they as much as drop one bomb on South Korea, the whole country of NK will be carpetbombed, corner to corner.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by frozenspark]

I am not so sure. I mean, they just sunk a South Korean war ship and NOTHING came of it.

Being weak in the face of agression only encourages MORE agression.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Sounds like John Bolton is having problems moving on intellectually after the Cold War - which makes him only 20 years behind the times.

Let it be understood that the US and Russia still have such overwhelming nuclear power when it comes to all the rest of the world combined, that there is zero threat of annihilation to either the US or Russia except from each other. Unless you want to argue that the UK or France will launch a surprise attack on one of them; which is like supposing that Mexico will order its military to invade the US next month.

So in the current nuclear club, the US or Russia can annihilate anyone or everyone if they so choose, while the UK and France could definately destroy just about anyone except the US and Russia, and China's force is still so relatively rudimentary, that their nuclear forces truly are only a deterrent to attack on itself. Of the rest: Israel, India, Pakistan have what we may call a Regional nuclear force, while North Korea is sub-regional.

Obama continues the nuclear arms reduction actions initiated by my favorite US president Reagan. In doing so, he is simply carrying out a reasonable strategic policy for the US - as agreed by every president and congress since Reagan. So anyone trying to paint Obama as a treasonous commie pinko is doing so while ignoring the actions of three other Republican presidents and one other Democrat - not to mention the majority Senates for both parties.

So why is the US reducing its nuclear arms, along with Russia? Quite simple. Thank the gods that be, that somehow we got past all our philosophical differences and realized that the most likely threat to any particular country or the world in general is NOT from a responsible national government (whatever its ideology) deciding to launch a self-sacrificing nuclear attack (as the inevitable retaliation will come soon thereafter), but rather from the possibility that a rougue actor, or break away group might use one as a giant suicide bomb for irrational reasons. Therefore it follows that reducing the number of weapons, enhances control, as there are simply less of them to lose control of.

The world came far too close to having a rougue nation gain control of sophisticated nukes after the break-up of the USSR when Chechen separatist threatened their nuke hiest and planned sale to Iran. None of the current nuclear powers (with the exception of N. Korea) ever wants that to happen again.

Which brings us back to the OP's original topic: North Korea. While N. Korea does have a nuclear capability, its not really a threat outside the Korean peninsula or possibly Japan. Which means that while they may be able to inflict devastating loss on S. Korea and the US forces there, that such an act would be suicidal in the worst way. It would trigger from the US the most complete annihilation of a nation/people the world has seen since the Spaniards vs the Incas or Aztecs.

How so? Its a difference in the types of nuclear weapons. N. Korea has weapons roughly comparable to the bombs the US dropped in WWII - city busters, with unrefined power. The US (and its allies and Russia) have weapons that can be delivered from a globe away with relative pinpoint accuracy, and controllable elements of destruction (Blast, Heat, immediate and residual Radiation, and EMP). So while N. Korea could destroy Seoul, the US could retaliate in a manner that destroys nearly every technologically significant aspect of N. Korea while keeping unwanted residual radiation to a minimum.

Having said all that, it is still no guarentee that a fanatic leader like Kim (or Ahmadinejad) wouldn't use one if he thought it accomplish his twisted version of victory.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianDream420
"We stand fully prepared to respond militarily to any further North Korean provocation," he said.

They (North Korea) also stated the following:

will legitimately counter with [its] powerful nuclear deterrence the largest-ever nuclear war exercises to be staged by the U.S. and the South Korean puppet forces"

"There will be a physical response against the threat imposed by the United States militarily"

"Will"....not maybe, not perhaps, but WILL. That sounds like a direct threat to me. Seems that if 'lil Kim doesn't follow through, then he will have discredited himself. If he does follow through, then bad things will ensue.

Things aren't looking too good in that part of the world.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by Aggie Man]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join