It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Has ATS Actually Done?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I've been a member for a fair few years, and I recently started thinking about something. What exactly has ATS done ? By that question I mean what secrets have been discovered by the members which have led to legal action in courts?

Surely we have had one or two?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by BSG75

I have never heard of any, this thread could become very interesting. I just want to add anyone who stats saying “we can never get anything done because the government control the courts” are just using it as a cop out.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by kevinunknown]

link   
The courts are nothing but an extension of the powers in place, in other words, they represent the government they work for. ATS is one of the best tools i know in order to awaken the people that are still asleep and unable to see the agenda at hand.

link   
never mind...

[edit on 22-7-2010 by operation mindcrime]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by BSG75

None, that I am aware of. But I'm sure a lot of ATS members have uncovered a few conspiracies in their time and have been the first to break certain stories.

I'm not sure what you expect though, this isn't Wikileaks, this is a place for people from all over the world to come and share their ideas and learn from each other.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

Wow, kevin...how prophetic!!

...“we can never get anything done because the government control the courts” are just using it as a cop out.

Even as you were posting your prediction, it came to pass....in very next post. Wow!

(Know any good lottery numbers??)

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Ummm didn't we just get the story about the Mustangs out into the media? I haven't been a member long so that is just off the top of my head for a starter.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by yigsstarhouse

Yes, and more will follow, and these actions will help to awaken many people that are still asleep. We must use the "mainstream" media as often as possible.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
There are two items that immediately come to mind...

FBI Fears Chinese Hackers Have Back Door Into US Government & Military
The public exposure of a secret FBI presentation led to a front page New York Times story (referencing ATS as the source), exposure from several other sources, a response from the FBI, and the eventual accelerated plan to identify and replace all the counterfeit equipment.

The Mustang Conspiracy
Several wild horse advocates are crediting our recent high-profile coverage (picked up by CNN) as a significant reason for the Nevada court's recent order to impose a moratorium on all wild horse round-ups.

With effort, I'm sure more could be located, but an obvious third item could simply be that, with five million monthly visits from people all over the world (more than half through search engines), it could be said that we're doing a lot to increase the general public's awareness of the issues discussed by our members.

edit on by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by BSG75

I can tell you one thing ATS has not done, unveil the new website when they said they would.

But outside of the Mustang thing, which I read on here was all over the media (despite not seeing it on my tv once), not much as far as I am concerned.

Did some pondering on this topic the other day, I don't really think the purpose of ATS is exposing things,not anymore at least. Its purpose is to give people like us a community in which we feel like we actually belong.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
There are two items that immediately come to mind...

FBI Fears Chinese Hackers Have Back Door Into US Government & Military
The public exposure of a secret FBI presentation led to a front page New York Times story (referencing ATS as the source), exposure from several other sources, a response from the FBI, and the eventual accelerated plan to identify and replace all the counterfeit equipment.

Yep.

The Chinese Hackers one is what came to mind immediately as well.

GHOSTNET and all that.

I believe THIS is the original Thread. (Doh I see you had the link now, I was reading and ignored the blue lettering! To think I spent 10min searching for it lol!)

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And here is the follow up thread.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Keep in mind, they claim that:

GhostNet (simplified Chinese: 幽灵网; traditional Chinese: 幽靈網; pinyin: YōuLíngWǎng) is the name given by researchers at the Information Warfare Monitor to a large-scale cyber spying[1][2] operation discovered in March 2009.

en.wikipedia.org...

Mister Old School's original thread was from April of 2008.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by muzzleflash]

[edit on 22-7-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I'm sure that some things have been discovered, but I know they (the ATS higher ups) get awefully touchy when you mention ATS and the CIA in the same thread.

ATS: I Was Just Reading A Thread That Got Deleted!

It seems that goofy threads can stay alive and well (with no proof - just conjecture), but try to say anything about ATS gets deleted with 10 minutes.

Just my 2 cents

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lolliek
but try to say anything about ATS gets deleted with 10 minutes.

Could you explain why we should tolerate lies and/or inaccurate information about us to remain?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Can I respond to that without the possibility of my account being deleted?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
Can I respond to that without the possibility of my account being deleted?

If you don't violated the Terms and Conditions, nothing will happen to your account.

If it's a long response, perhaps you should consider posting it to the ATS Issues thread? (then placing a link to your post here)

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
ats is for information gathering, not leading action

well that's how i see it at least

ats is full of 'knowledge' and alternative views suppressed by mainstream media, what type of things, or actions, you do with that knowledge is up to you

ats is what it's supposed to be, and i'm glad for that

[edit on 7/22/2010 by indigothefish]

[edit on 7/22/2010 by indigothefish]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   

A growing perception of censorship is not really good.

I do not think you should tolerate any blatant attack which includes lies and fabricated crap intended to defame ATS, its staff or membership.

However, when a member stumbles upon such crap, brings it here and asks questions, has doubts and/or concerns would it not be better to attack it with solid arguments and answers?

Defend ATS at every legitimate opportunity to do so!

It would be better in the long term to confront it out in the open.

In my opinion, of course.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:07 PM
link   
You will never get to hear in the mainstream of ATS because here it is to share and rationalize information. And the action necessary will come from the passing and sharing of such information, enough that they be awakened to do what is necessary.

Each and everyone has a role to play in the society that we live in and want to live in. It is only through informed choices and made on free will will action be taken.

Credit is NEVER important. What is more critical is that lives be changed for the better.

And I am sure many are glad to be here, to have the opportunity to share insights which may lead to a informed,debated or thrashed concepts, if not a better world.

May ATS, the bastion of freedom of expression, last forever, though the insignificant nobody me, doubt so, if only little is awakened....

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Well it’s hard to do not breach the T&C’s under section 8 which i think i am rite to say effectively allows the Mods can delete any post the owners don’t like being on their site. Speaking of the mods there is your first problem, don’t get me wrong they do a fantastic job but this is a conspiracy site and censoring it is very ironic. I agree when it comes to people being flatly offensive or just completely off topic but if there is a point being made or dare i say it a relevant joke, don’t remove it.

Even though the mods do a fantastic job some threads and posts still get through their net but these are really quite homophobic or racist. There are quite a few anti-Semitic views on ATS that go unpunished. I really don’t like how mods can edit my posts such as one today that was entitled “Bin Laden is Dead” to which a mod changed to “I believe Bin Laden is dead” the reason given was that it was misleading and untrue. But some of the threads on hear start with titles like “confirmed” or “the truth”, yet are no such thing. Its inconsistent i guess is what i am trying to say.

You said “why we should tolerate lies and/or inaccurate information about us to remain?” well there are quite allot of threads on ATS that let’s face it are blatant lies or grossly inaccurate. By all means remove anything that is a lie, but if it’s just somebody criticising the site let it float. We all know ATS is a great site but letting us blow of some steam every now and i think is ok. Who knows maybe if the criticism is allowed to go through it could improve an already excellent site.

I know i once wrote a thread basically about this same thing and it was removed by a mod because it was “inflammatory” so it was removed under section 8 because some ATS members might use the thread to talk about ATS in a negative way. That’s ok every once in a while most of the time we are going on about how much we all love this site and on threads that are criticising the site there is always going to be a army of loyal ATS supporters to argue the other side of the argument. I think that by removing threads that might make ATS look bad coupled with the censorship only fuel the views some members hole that ATS is somehow connected with the NWO or government ( for the record i don’t hold this view.

Sorry if i have gone too far.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown
... Its inconsistent i guess is what i am trying to say.

Only because this is a very and very active large website. It's impossible to see every post, no matter how many people we have.

well there are quite allot of threads on ATS that let’s face it are blatant lies or grossly inaccurate.

Possible, but those threads aren't about us, and we (ATS admin) are essentially ATS members too, and we've never allowed direct insults directed at members to stand... why should they stand when directed at staff?

but if it’s just somebody criticising the site let it float.

We've never removed honest criticism.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join