It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New UFO Footage from Northeast England 7-18-10

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Have to admit I'm stumped as to why anyone would be letting off military standard flares over a large City. It could be a prank i suppose, but I'm guessing had it been one, it would have made the news.

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not
If they are flares, why would they have to be dropped / launched from a plane?

Why couldn't they be launched from the ground?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

Well I hadn't thought of that actually but my common sense would first ask me, why? Are they being launched in someones backyard because that looks pretty suburban?

I personally don't even understand why the military 'practices' flare dropping. Is it to see if the flaps open up properly on the plane? I mean, what's there to practice really? You open a hatch and let them drop. It's not like target practice.......but I'll concur they do it (resisting the thought though) I think it's a made-up, UFO cover-up tale!

But how likely would it be that ground-to-air flares would line up like that? At least if they're dropped, they're on a parachute of some sort so they can hover in sync.

Nah...! Not flares. I'm going with lanterns or unidentified.

PS. Pass the aspirin bottle will ya?

posted on Jul, 23 2010 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by FireMoon
Have to admit I'm stumped as to why anyone would be letting off military standard flares over a large City. It could be a prank i suppose, but I'm guessing had it been one, it would have made the news.

FireMoon.....

I'm thinking it's very hard to judge distance on that film for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the confounding of the true size of the objects by the nature of the video.

Perhaps they are not "over" the city?

Perhaps they are closer or further away, which could place them to the east or the west of the town, if you are correct in that the objects are being viewed from the east, looking to the west.

As I look at Gateshead via Google Earth, there is a lot of empty ground around Gateshead, including to the west of the town, which would correlate with your thoughts the video is taken from the east, looking to the west.

I also wonder if the objects coud have been over the river, which is also to the west of Gateshead.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 24-7-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Well, it's a very windy night, you can hear the wind. Cloudy? If Chinese lanterns, perhaps coming out of the clouds and being blown in direction of wind.
Could be flares as well. Either or imo.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by mozzy1113
My name is Maurice Allen I am also a member of the Franciosi Paranormal Society.

I was with Paul Franciosi when this was taken, I am the one you can hear talking on the phone on the video. Honestly what we witnessed was unbelievable. I absolutely assure you we have not inserted the light sequence onto the video as some people have suggested, it is a very real video, and I know it was seen by at least 2 other people in easington lane, an area several miles away from where we took the footage.

Also, in response to those claiming it was cars on a hill, I live in the northeast and I know the area well, there is no hill in that area, the lights were in open sky.

I have to be honest though, I am surprised that very few people seem to have seen it, but then again, it was 2am in the morning.

[edit on 23-7-2010 by mozzy1113]

There are a few reporting agencies, and the police. I wonder if they have been checked for reports that were simply written down but unpublished. At 2am people may be coming home from the Pubs and so didn't believe what they saw and didn't report it or remember.
Security guards and night watchmen. Police. Some security camera somewhere might have a reflection of the objects floating past, over metal or water...
Very weird.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:10 AM
link   
A few points about this video:

1) As I live in the area I can say that the guys conversation leads me to beleive they were really viewing this 1st hand and the lights haven't been added to the video afterwards. Their dialogue and tone of voice etc is exactly how people up here respond to things they are excited about.

2) I've been through all the local news stories and there is nothing at all about this event anywhere. No mention of strange goings on what so ever.

3) I started to maybe buy in to the whole ufo hypothesis for a moment there until the 5 minute mark... take a good look at the left hand side. A light appears where all the other one's do... drops lower than the rest and catches the wind before following the same course as the rest.

This kills it for me... it screams of the lights being dropped from above, ctaching the wind and following the winds path along to the right. Flares have been spoken about on here and specifically ones that are dropped from a plane with parachutes that open and drift along on the wind... to me this seems like the most likely option.

I can't for the life of me understand why any military exercise would be carried out over here so that part is very puzzling, but seriously the light at 5 minutes really kills it for me as far as it being a UFO.

The guy who came on here saying he was the voice in the video... can you remember truthfully which way the wind was blowing? It was a very windy night so i'd imagine it would have registered with you on the night?

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ajax_andy

But then there is this from TrueBrit earlier too...

Phage... I am suprised at you. I have lived near Shoeburyness Ranges since I was two years old, and pretty much the only way to see more flares than I have, is to use them in the field, or to be a trained observer employed by the MOD or its subcontractors. When flares are being tested, they are most certainly launched from the ground, and then tracked by observers with remote operated cameras to document descent rate, burn time, and stability in the air. In short sir, when in actual use they only fall, but when being tested by the Ministry they are launched from the ground, and so first rise into the air, and then fall.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I've been thinking about this and doing some investigating.

Airplanes do drop flares, called distraction flares, used by the military as a counter to SAMs.

If the video is flares dropped from an aircraft, then the pattern and speed would suggest a slow moving plane or planes, like a military transport plane.

Now, a military transport plane or planes could have been flying over Gateshead, but why drop flares? Practising for Afghanistan perhaps and countering rocket fire?

But why, as others have pointed out, over a built-up city in the UK? Why not over the sea?

Now military transport planes fly over where I am from time to time, but they don't drop flares when I see them. And they make a lot of noise. I would have expected to hear some aircraft noise if it was a military transport plane, considering the length of the footage.

Just a note that an Israeli airline uses distraction flares also. But again, drop distraction flares over Gateshead? Why?

I have had a look at the UK UFO Sighting Website, here is a page on sightings over or near Gateshead of UFOs.

The closest I could find to the 18th July 2010 for any sightings of UFOs is the 17th July 2010:

Gateshead-17th July 2010

From the link:

Gateshead-17th July 2010
Jul.17, 2010 in Northumberland
Location of Sighting: gateshead ne11
Date of Sighting: 17th july 2010
Time: 01.40
Witness Name: emma

Witness Statement: I was at work and went out to get some fresh air and was admiring the stars as they were so bright. When to the west above winlaton a white bright light travelling north was spotted, when suddenly the light got brighter,but there was no noise and it appeared to discard something. The bright light dissapeared very quickly but whatever it had discareded which had a dull light appeared to linger in the sky descending very slowly and then hovering which also quickly dissapeared after about 10 minutes.

Source: www.uk-ufo.co.uk

Comment : If you can provide further information on this or other possible UFO sightings in this area then please leave a comment or send details through our “submit sighting” form

To which there was a comment in reply from another eyewitness:

One Comment on “Gateshead-17th July 2010”

lisa
July 17th, 2010 at 11:33 am
I saw the same thing I was drawing my curtain, I live in england on the wirral and dont usually believe in ufo but this was hovering and moving in fast strange was it was about 2am and i had just finished watching tv and locking up the house when I noticed it from my back garden. I raced up stars and woke my boyfriend up we couldnt believe it! So we took a picture but the colours did not show up. It was in the distance but it moved away then came back! Flashing different colours. I was wondering if we was the only ones who saw it but we where not!
L xx

Link (For Original Eyewitness Statement)

Link (For second eyewitness statement supporting the first)

I have a feeling we won't get to the bottom of what the cause of the lights are.

Fascinating, whatever they are.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by Regensturm]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by KIZZZY

Chinese Lantern? No. Too far for being lantern and light are too bright.
It is most probably flares. But still this video deserves some attention. At least in order to improve our knowledge about flares etc..

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
By the way, little bit off topic, but did anyone watch this video?

www.youtube.com...

Are they lantern too? Or what can they be?

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
If they are flares being dropped by something then that something must have been more or less stationary in the sky for the whole time the video was taken.
What craft do we know that can do that?
A helicopter?
And how much noise would that make?
Surely someone would have noticed.
And why would a helicopter drop flares over Tyneside?

And they seem to travel at a uniform rate through out the video as well, no variation at all.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regensturm
I've been thinking about this and doing some investigating.

I have had a look at the UK UFO Sighting Website, here is a page on sightings over or near Gateshead of UFOs.

The closest I could find to the 18th July 2010 for any sightings of UFOs is the 17th July 2010:

Gateshead-17th July 2010

From the link:

Gateshead-17th July 2010
Jul.17, 2010 in Northumberland
Location of Sighting: gateshead ne11
Date of Sighting: 17th july 2010
Time: 01.40
Witness Name: emma

Witness Statement: I was at work and went out to get some fresh air and was admiring the stars as they were so bright. When to the west above winlaton a white bright light travelling north was spotted, when suddenly the light got brighter,but there was no noise and it appeared to discard something. The bright light dissapeared very quickly but whatever it had discareded which had a dull light appeared to linger in the sky descending very slowly and then hovering which also quickly dissapeared after about 10 minutes.

Source: www.uk-ufo.co.uk

Comment : If you can provide further information on this or other possible UFO sightings in this area then please leave a comment or send details through our “submit sighting” form

To which there was a comment in reply from another eyewitness:

One Comment on “Gateshead-17th July 2010”

lisa
July 17th, 2010 at 11:33 am
I saw the same thing I was drawing my curtain, I live in england on the wirral and dont usually believe in ufo but this was hovering and moving in fast strange was it was about 2am and i had just finished watching tv and locking up the house when I noticed it from my back garden. I raced up stars and woke my boyfriend up we couldnt believe it! So we took a picture but the colours did not show up. It was in the distance but it moved away then came back! Flashing different colours. I was wondering if we was the only ones who saw it but we where not!
L xx

Link (For Original Eyewitness Statement)

Link (For second eyewitness statement supporting the first)

I have a feeling we won't get to the bottom of what the cause of the lights are.

Fascinating, whatever they are.

I find this interesting as it appears this happened 24 hours prior to this incident. Funny how 2 people witness 1 object, but no one seems to witness multiple objects.
Not only that, but if you go to the links above it seems something was happening on the 16th and 13th as well. So needless to say it has been a bit of a hot spot for a few days.

I really think if they were lanterns and they all appear to be coming from the same area, we would be seeing them rise as well.

Do flares when launched from the ground leave any kind of trail?

I know I did see some sort of tiny little trails towards the end of the video, but it was right before the lights appeared. Im going to see if I can capture that, might be hard though because they were so faint and fast.

I also wonder why it is sooo quiet about it as far as news or police reports etc. Seems if it was harmless or something simple it would be right out there with no problem.

Did you guys ever get this footage to any news groups?

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by yigsstarhouse

I find this interesting as it appears this happened 24 hours prior to this incident. Funny how 2 people witness 1 object, but no one seems to witness multiple objects.

Yes I noticed that too, very interesting.

Not only that, but if you go to the links above it seems something was happening on the 16th and 13th as well. So needless to say it has been a bit of a hot spot for a few days.

And I think some of the sightings (on that page anyway) go back to Feb of this year.

I really think if they were lanterns and they all appear to be coming from the same area, we would be seeing them rise as well.

And they appear too bright also, and seem to fade in and out at times.

Do flares when launched from the ground leave any kind of trail?

Emergency flare pistols used at sea possibly, and flares used by the military to light up the ground ahead, but are those flares not red in nature?

I know I did see some sort of tiny little trails towards the end of the video, but it was right before the lights appeared. Im going to see if I can capture that, might be hard though because they were so faint and fast.

I thought I saw a light 'pop up' from the ground just below where the last light vanished towards the end of the video, but I was not sure if this just the video pixellation.

I also wonder why it is sooo quiet about it as far as news or police reports etc. Seems if it was harmless or something simple it would be right out there with no problem.

You sometimes get a "Chinese lanterns" explanation in the local or national media, but I've not heard anything as yet, or found any reference to the lights as lanterns or some flares from a celebration of some sort or a military demonstration exercise, and I have looked.

Did you guys ever get this footage to any news groups?

They could try the regional news for starters, but sadly, such regional and national outlets tend not to treat such sightings seriously, often playing the Twilight Zone or X-files theme and talking of "little green men" in a mocking manner instead of taking the sightings seriously.

I can see how such sightings can go unreported the media very easily as a result.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Okay, I'm not sure if I've just stumbled across the mystery-solver to these lights or not....

I just googled Gateshead and Flares and came across a page from the following website:

www.newcastlegateshead.com...

Newcastle being the big city on the river Tyne of course, and which is near Gateshead.

This is the page in question:

Flares

From the link:

Flares

Flares, or rockets, are vital for safety at sea. When lit, they burn brightly like a firework.
Red flares are a signal of distress. White flares are used to let other vessels see your position.
The flares in the picture below are on show at the Tynemouth Volunteer Life Brigade's Watchtower in Tynemouth.

Link (To also see the picture the article is referring to)

Note the sentence I have emboldened from the link.

Now Gateshead has a river, and I just wonder if we saw a ship letting another ship in the dark know of it's position....

But...

The lights in the video appear to be descending from the sky, and not from the ground (or river) up.

And would a Ship's crew try to raise another crew of a ship it feared colliding with on a radio, or blow a foghorn?

I think I may have just added more questions than provide an answer I'm afraid.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Regensturm

lol Yep seems you did raise more questions! This video goes on for almost 10 min., and we don't know how long it actually lasted. That seems like a awful lot of flares to show where you are if you aren't in distress. White versus red. Plus what happened to radio communication?

and even that seems like it might make the news: "Ships loses radio communication. Has to do it the old fashion way.
Lights seen in the sky last whatever night witnessed by...... are all related back to ship.... blah blah blah..." We dont seem to have that either....

I have to say this one is a bit more of a mystery then a lot posted on here, unless you are one that has resigned yourself to the flare thought. I haven't yet, because it just keeps nagging at me the more we discover, and or dont discover, if that made sense!

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   

lol Yep seems you did raise more questions!

Sorry about that! lol

This video goes on for almost 10 min., and we don't know how long it actually lasted. That seems like a awful lot of flares to show where you are if you aren't in distress. White versus red. Plus what happened to radio communication? and even that seems like it might make the news: "Ships loses radio communication. Has to do it the old fashion way.
Lights seen in the sky last whatever night witnessed by...... are all related back to ship.... blah blah blah..." We dont seem to have that either....

Exactly my concerns on the matter too.

I have to say this one is a bit more of a mystery then a lot posted on here, unless you are one that has resigned yourself to the flare thought.

No, the mystery continues for me too! I am not swayed by the flare theory as yet. Certainly not Chinese lanterns I feel.

I haven't yet, because it just keeps nagging at me the more we discover, and or dont discover, if that made sense!

I know what you mean. The flares dont quite ring true, despite my posting that link. Aircraft dropping flares over a city? Why? Ships deploying multiple flares to alert one another of their presence when they could radio each other? Why? Chinese Lanterns? Too bright.

Very interesting indeed!

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I know what you mean. The flares dont quite ring true, despite my posting that link. Aircraft dropping flares over a city? Why? Ships deploying multiple flares to alert one another of their presence when they could radio each other? Why? Chinese Lanterns? Too bright.

On a river no more than 40-50 yards wide and not that deep? The lights/flares are definitely inland.

[edit on 24-7-2010 by FireMoon]

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
lol This footage is making me nuts!

Ok, going back yet once again I have decided that I don't think Free Spirits footage they redid correctly portrays the original footage. Yes some do follow same path to a point, but definitely not all of them. So to me its a bit out of context to the over all.

Next, I don't know if you guys are watching this footage on you tube so you can watch it on full screen, but it certainly adds a bit of depth. If you look closely at upper left hand screen, you will see how these lights sort of ummm glide in, or trail in? Check at the 6:13 mark. It sort of starts there. The 6:27 and 7:06 mark are very interesting as well. To me at least. Do flares do that?

And one more thing odd about this whole thread, why are we not being slammed with the usual debunkers? That is sort of like the lack of news or info if you know what I mean.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:27 PM
link   
We didnt immediately try to report it to the local media as we were honestly of the opinion that dozens or perhaps hundreds of other people must have seen it, and that the story would be widespread in the news, yet in the days since we have all been shocked that there seems to have been complete media silence on it. Maybe people have reported it and the papers didnt take them seriously, or maybe we were the only ones to actually notice it? (going back to the point about the downed airliner). The only other people I know to have seen it were 2 brothers several miles away at easington lane.

I think now we must report this footage to the local media in the northeast and see what they make of it.

posted on Jul, 24 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mozzy1113
We didnt immediately try to report it to the local media as we were honestly of the opinion that dozens or perhaps hundreds of other people must have seen it, and that the story would be widespread in the news, yet in the days since we have all been shocked that there seems to have been complete media silence on it. Maybe people have reported it and the papers didnt take them seriously, or maybe we were the only ones to actually notice it? (going back to the point about the downed airliner). The only other people I know to have seen it were 2 brothers several miles away at easington lane.

I think now we must report this footage to the local media in the northeast and see what they make of it.

I am glad you came back as you are the only one we have That Was There. It is strange how quiet it all is. I sure hope you keep us updated on how that goes for you. m still looking forward to the other footage. Hope you post it here

Must tickle you to see how many of us are scratching our heads as well eh?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join