It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New UFO Footage from Northeast England 7-18-10

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Think i've solved it! It's parachuted flares from the Otterburn ranges 25 miles away.

www.northumberlandnationalpark.org.uk...

Check the dates!

EDIT: The flares are fired as part of a live fire exercise, which was taking place that night.....google is your friend

www.otterburnranges.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Good find, woogle!

Firing times between 09.00 - 02.00, too!

Distance from camera position to Otterburn Camp is 36 miles. Would the flares be visible at that distance?

Same thing happening each night the rest of this week so maybe the original group could go back to the spot and see if they appear again.

Firing Times

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by torsion

Oh yeah, they would be visible alright, really bloody bright them things....the distance would also explain why no trails and they suddenly just appear!

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
It's flares. They don't rise. They all fall slowly (under a parachute) at the same rate and drift with the wind in the same direction. They burn out at about the same altitude.

The North East of England makes a vital contribution to UK Defence. It is home to some of the British Army’s most famous regiments and a number of important RAF bases

webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk...://www.mod.uk/aboutus/keyfacts/factfiles/northeast.htm

[edit on 7/22/2010 by Phage]

Blinking flares?
Are you sure?

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Good work Woogleuk, you may well have solved this!

The only thing frustrating is that the websites don't say that firing flares is part of the exercises, but I'm sure in a military exercise they would be.

Well, it appears the lights are flares especially after freespirit's videos from Brazil (despite the different flying formations)....

But what troubles me is that in always being open to the view they were flares, they looked like they were not being fired from ground, but from air, they seem to appear, from the sky.

Now, there is the theory crowdedskies put forth regarding the possibility flares may have been dropped or fired from a tower, but would the military fire flares from there?

Anyway another video of a flare nature to add to the collection, this time a parachute flare:

The flare dies out 45 seconds after being fired, and is red in nature.

The video does contain swearing.

[edit on 27-7-2010 by Regensturm]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by cushycrux

Thats just the distance, and how they are burning, and the angle etc etc, at that distance they are tiny to the naked eye, but if it burns brighter, it will look bigger.

EDIT: I hope someone can explain this better, I haven't been to bed yet

[edit on 27/7/10 by woogleuk]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Regensturm

i'm not 100% on this, but i think they are fired from mortars on the ground, the only reason you dont see them on the way up is the distance from the camera.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Heres the sort of thing I was thinking of

www.eliteukforces.info...

As with its big brother, the 81mm L16, the 51mm can fire a range of ordinance including illumination flares, obscuring smoke and high explosive rounds out to a maximum range of 750 meters.A skilled operator can put up to 8 rounds down range per minute.

The 51mm Mortar can be used to illuminate the battlefield with parachute flare rounds like these.

[edit on 27/7/10 by woogleuk]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Just to further back you up here...

I've been looking in to Otterburn Training Military Camp and also e-mailed them asking about any flare usage on the 18th (awaiting a response)... In my research i came across this:

"FOB was established at Otterburn, some twenty minutes flying time to the east of Carlisle, at which a detachment of twenty was based, primarily to provide fuel. The Otterburn ranges provided an ideal location for the helicopters to perfect the low flying technique necessary in to survive in today's multi-threat battlefield scenario, especially with the more prevalent use of laser guided surface to air missiles for which the Chinook has defensive aids such as chaff and flares. Night flying is also becoming more important, so part of the exercise contained an element of this using night-vision goggles (NVG), but taking into consideration disturbance to the local population the actual time available was very limited".

Source: www.airsceneuk.org.uk...

Please bare in mind that this article is from 1998.... but it states that Chinook helicopters have used this base to practice battlefield scenario's and have the ability to drop flares.

This would explain the many flares originating from one point and also back up those who mentioned a Helicopter as being a possible outlet from which the flares came.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Regensturm

But what troubles me is that in always being open to the view they were flares, they looked like they were not being fired from ground, but from air, they seem to appear, from the sky.

The firing times document above states that the activity included aircraft, artillery and infantry weapons. So maybe they were air launched.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Image taken of flares over Otterburn Training Range in the past... any similarities in colour and number of lights in a row?

Sorry not sure how to embed pics here :-(

[edit on 27-7-2010 by ajax_andy]

[edit on 27-7-2010 by ajax_andy]

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ajax_andy

They're just fireworks of sorts, seen that pic before, its here, also with a pic of some parachute flares

www.flickr.com...

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Thanks for the explanation. It would be great if we could get a video of mortar-fired flares for comparison with the video. There might be some laying around the net, from Afghanistan or Iraq.

reply to post by torsion

That would go some way to explaining it.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ajax_andy
Just to further back you up here...

I've been looking in to Otterburn Training Military Camp and also e-mailed them asking about any flare usage on the 18th (awaiting a response)... In my research i came across this:

"FOB was established at Otterburn, some twenty minutes flying time to the east of Carlisle, at which a detachment of twenty was based, primarily to provide fuel. The Otterburn ranges provided an ideal location for the helicopters to perfect the low flying technique necessary in to survive in today's multi-threat battlefield scenario, especially with the more prevalent use of laser guided surface to air missiles for which the Chinook has defensive aids such as chaff and flares. Night flying is also becoming more important, so part of the exercise contained an element of this using night-vision goggles (NVG), but taking into consideration disturbance to the local population the actual time available was very limited".

Source: www.airsceneuk.org.uk...

Please bare in mind that this article is from 1998.... but it states that Chinook helicopters have used this base to practice battlefield scenario's and have the ability to drop flares.

This would explain the many flares originating from one point and also back up those who mentioned a Helicopter as being a possible outlet from which the flares came.

Chinooks are noisy great things though, generally you can hear them coming from a good distance away, so if they were Chinooks, I would have thought the group videoing would have heard it, and we would have heard it in the video.

Would be interesting if somebody could amplify the sound on the video, so we could listen out for rotar blades and engine noise.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Chinooks are noisy great things though, generally you can hear them coming from a good distance away, so if they were Chinooks, I would have thought the group videoing would have heard it, and we would have heard it in the video.

Would be interesting if somebody could amplify the sound on the video, so we could listen out for rotar blades and engine noise.

The sound of a helicopter wouldn't travel 35 miles! That's how far Otterburn is from the camera position.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by torsion

The sound of a helicopter wouldn't travel 35 miles! That's how far Otterburn is from the camera position.

35 miles? Hmm the lights look closer, but I suppose their brightness intensity creates that illusion, carried over such a distance. Flares are bright after all, otherwise they would not be very good at being flares.

Okay then, I would be interested if anybody in the vicinity of Otterburn were aware of Chinook activity or other aircraft activity around the date of the video. I think we all would. They would have seen flares, but perhaps not commented on it because living near there would make it a common occurance not out of the ordinary during military exercises.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

I honestly thought about Otterburn a few days ago but thought, and maybe still do, that it is too far away, especially with the bright lights of Newcastle, Gateshead etc in the way.

However, given the fact that exercises were being carried out at the time and othher supportive evidence suggests that you may have cracked it.

Well done.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I honestly expected to come to this thread and go "DOH! Pesky Chinese whatsimidoodles again!" Round here they seem to be getting released every other weekend.

However, my first reaction was, aye up, i've seen this before! I just couldn't place where there would be a military range round that area. When I remembered Otterburn I nearly jumped off the sofa in excitement, lol.

Them types of flare are incredibly bright, and to the best of my knowledge, a single one could light up an area hundreds of metres squared, burn at well in excess of 1000c and last for anywhere between 30 - 90 seconds.

They could easily be seen from that distance, think of a maritime flare, the coastguard needs to be able to see a ship in distress from some distance, and the ones the army use are brighter than your average seamans.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by Freeborn

and the ones the army use are brighter than your average seamans.

Pleased you worded that the way you did.

I have spoken to some of my friends who have served in The Army and have been on exercises in Otterburn and they reckon they have seen these type of flares being used and they are very bright indeed.

I am still suprised that they would be visible from such a distance and through the light from Newcastle.
But I am assured this would be the case.

posted on Jul, 27 2010 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I have to say I am happy to wake up and find these responses, but I still have to ask how does that explain the first video where they just appear and remain stationary? I guess maybe I will have to try and edit that video a bit so we can cover this?Because it definitely shows in that video 3 lights that keep their position for a good amount of time.

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join