It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How would aliens go about finding and studying our planet?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:11 AM
link   
One of the things that get thrown around a lot is that we would have to very arrogant to think that we are the only intelligent life in the universe. Well it goes the other way as well, we must be very arrogant to believe that we are drawing as much alien traffic that many believe we are.

I do believe that there are advanced alien life forms out there, how advanced I do not know and how many I do not know, it is only a belief. The question is would these other life forms live in the same atmosphere and similar conditions to us? I think there might be at least one. Are these life forms more advanced than us? They may be, and if they are and have similar living conditions, they may be looking for a planet similar to theirs which would be ours.

If they did find our world amongst the many, many others, how long would a signal they sent take to reach us? Would we be able to receive this signal, perhaps there technology is different and there signal would not be able to be picked up by our equipment. When we are looking for signals, we are assuming that they would have developed along a similar technological path as us and therefore at one time had the same signals being used as we have, but it is possible that we are wrong.

Before sending a craft full of their life forms, wouldn’t they send a probe first to identify this planet to see if their was indeed life here, but how long would it take their probe to reach us, is it possible that by the time it got here there might have been so much time that they may have even forgotten about it, even if it has FTL travel speeds, unless they have some kind of instant long range communications, wouldn’t it take some time to get their signals returned to them by the device?

Suppose they saw this possible set back, so they instead sent a “manned” mission, would it be many craft or just one craft that had at most two smaller landing type or observational craft. How long would it take for the craft to get here? Even if they had a fast way of traveling depending on where they are coming from, it still could take generations to get here. The people on the ship might not notice the time change much, but I am talking about life on their home planet. By the time they got back home after their initial check of the planet even more generations would have gone by. When they returned home would they be even more advanced when they left or would the planet have been riddled with war and their mission forgotten about, only to be aliens on their home planet?

Let’s say that the planet had made advancements since they left and that their return was eagerly awaited, they would have to go over the research before sending any more “manned” missions.

Even if their first craft came here when we were cave men, by the time their next craft came, we could have been well into the Renaissance age here on earth. Since the last time they were here we were mere cave people, they more than likely would not expect to need for anything than more observational craft.

When they returned home again it would be many generations later on their home world and if they were still an advancing society, not one torn apart by war, they would then again take time to review the data, and would be some time before making another voyage here to earth.

If they were able to move fast for them through space (a couple years at most to people aboard the craft), the two worlds they would be going between would be advancing at their normal rate which would seem an accelerated rate to the people on the craft. Thus between appearances on earth, there would be large gaps.

Though this theory does allow for aliens to visit earth, it far limits how many true sightings that might be viewed.

I am basing this off of how we on earth would more than likely proceed if we found a viable planet like earth to study.

Any comments on why I would be completely wrong or if some of what I say makes even some tiny bit of sense?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Finding us wouldn't be a problem IMO, we have been broadcasting our presence for over a century now.

It seems however that someone has realised it may not be in their best interests to have an Alien race come to the rescue of Mankind, hence the push to change everything to Digital, signals coming down from space rather than going out, its when they ban the use of all analogue broadcasting which will be the big tell.

Why does someone want the World to go quiet? especially again IMO when it looks like Digital is the largest piece of junk ever developed by man, why change from something that has provided a clear signal without much of a problem, to a system which breaks up when it rains, becomes pixelated, do you really believe its to give us more options?

Within the next 20 years this Planet will fall silent, which for me brings a hope someone will come to investigate why the Human race has gone quiet all of a sudden, did we finally destroy ourselves? they will come to investigate.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by azzllin
...to a system which breaks up when it rains...

So true.

did we finally destroy ourselves?

Soon I guess

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by azzllin
Finding us wouldn't be a problem IMO, we have been broadcasting our presence for over a century now.

Unfortunately, that's not really that long, astronomically speaking. What if the closest inhabited planet, with an advanced civilization, is 200 light years away (which is also a tiny, infinitesimal speck of outer space)?

Well, then they wouldn't be be aware of presence. Not yet.

I believe that advanced civilzations would surely try to do what you're saying, though. Namely, to contact others via the use of signals.

But in my mind, I see truly advanced civilzations using signals which take advantage of quantum particle physics, utilizing the "spooky interaction at a distance" and VIOLATING the speed of light speed limit.

So, if we're listening, we should be listening for something related to an effort like that.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by MarkusMaximus]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 09:49 AM
link   
IF they can visit and discover us, they are more advance than us in term of space travel. We haven't detect any life form and can't travel farther than our own solar system yet.

IF their crafts have no trouble reaching us, they should have no trouble with their own communication or signal.

I do not believe aliens that have been claimed to visit us originated from one location. I do believe IF the many sightings are true, the aliens probably on their scouting mission just as our probes being sent to various planets in our own solar system.

IF they managed a manned mission to our Earth, i believe they may have visited us at least once before thus they have some knowledge regarding our planet's climate, gas composition etc..

If we found a viable planet like earth to study. we have hope for future survival. Else, our future generation will have to face resource shortages, famine, overpopulation or .....worse our beloved sun goes supernova and thats the end of humanity.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by EasternShadow

It is possible that they did not detect life forms, just a planet with similar conditions to their own, so they wanted to take a closer look.

It is an assumption that communications can be fast across space even for an advanced race. Even advanced communications could possibly take an extremely long time between points. This is speculation as well. It is possible that they would drop signal boosters along the way as well, to help speed up the communications.

I don’t know how many advanced alien species are out there and just because there are several advanced ones does not mean that all of them would be advanced enough to make planetary visits. This would determine how many different beings are visiting us.

I would hope that they would have sent a probe first to gather climate, gas composition etc. but I think it all depends upon how and if they would be able to communicate with such a device, which might be a reason for sending a “manned” mission. Even if they would get to a point where AI is a way of life they might have a combination of AI and beings on a mission together, not just AI by itself.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by EasternShadow

.....worse our beloved sun goes supernova and thats the end of humanity.

this is just me being nit-picky, sun will never go supernova. it will expand into a red-giant before collapsing into a whit-dwarf. (and all stages in between)

what i have always been wondering, is that if aliens know of us. why would they want to come here? first of all, humans kill other humans. we are not exactly a peaceful people, and would have no reason to treat aliens with respect.

well, im done.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by monguzi

It is possible that the aliens are just as violent on their home world. I would hope they would be sending their scientists, but I am guessing that the crew would be a mixture of ex military and scientists much like the crews of our own ships.

There is no reason to believe that aliens have no history of violence on their own planet, they may be still experiencing it, or they may have overcome such petty things, one day we may know for sure.

As far as why come? Curiosity is a good reason to explore a new world. Exploitation is always a good reason as well.

Once the Native Americans saw the true nature of the Europeans, they attacked the ships as they landed on the beaches and the forts they built, this did not keep the Europeans away, because they knew they had superior technology. The aliens may feel the same way.

[edit on 7/22/2010 by AlienCarnage]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by AlienCarnage

evolution speaking, i would expect aliens to be used to violence/competition. i think it would be necessary to advance toward intelligence. but, being an intelligent life-form, why would you want to go to a planet with other violent intelligent beings?

1.) you need the resources, and are ready to fight for them.

2.) maybe you dont understand violence, and are unaware of the danger.

3.) conquering the universe is your goal

the list could go on and on.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlienCarnage
It is possible that they did not detect life forms, just a planet with similar conditions to their own, so they wanted to take a closer look.

If reports of aliens abduction are true, some of them already detect life forms here. us.

I would hope that they would have sent a probe first to gather climate, gas composition etc. but I think it all depends upon how and if they would be able to communicate with such a device, which might be a reason for sending a “manned” mission. Even if they would get to a point where AI is a way of life they might have a combination of AI and beings on a mission together, not just AI by itself.

Base on several alien encounters I've read, none ever reported finding AI. The famous "Gray" look organic to me. Lmao.

[edit on 22-7-2010 by EasternShadow]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by monguzi

I believe that their initial reason for visiting the planet was out of curiosity, they probably could not tell whether the planet had life on it and wanted to see. We would do the same if we found a world anything like ours, at least I would hope so.

They would send a probe, or if that was not an option due to communications, a “manned” mission.

Once they found the planet had life, which was their ignition reason for coming to the planet, you would want to observe the life, animal, plant, insect, single celled, etc. Once you completed any test that you were prepared for, you would return home for scientists there to study the data as well. Then they would decide the threat level of any life found on the planet and if they would go back how to make their studies as unnoticed as possible.

This is the peaceful version, there are several other versions that would not be as peaceful, though I am leaning toward the scientific approach from their world.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
It’s ok because the UFO’s will have tom tom.

Seriously though, I think they would probably use techniques similar to our own.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by EasternShadow

I am talking about initial detection and initial study of the planet, later studies of the planet could vary.

I don’t believe all of the abduction stories being alien, what better way for a government to hide that they are doing experiments on their own citizens then to play up to the “abductees” that they are aliens by the use of drugs and or hypnosis.

I could show you artwork in where the images are drug induced that look much like the grey aliens reported by the “abductees”, not exactly but very similar.

I won’t go to say that there are no abduction cases at all, just that not all are alien related.

Depending on their level of technology the IA may not look different at all from a computer consol or even on of the aliens themselves.

[edit on 7/22/2010 by AlienCarnage]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by kevinunknown

How far off base do you think my speculation is about how they might go about finding and studying our planet?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   

cool, can i see the "grey" images you're talking about?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
"How would aliens go about finding and studying our planet?"

Honestly, and I hate to give such a simple answer, but I think they'd be doing the same things we're doing...using math to detect where we are.

Trying to observe the wobble of stars to detect where any planets might be.

To observe those planets and attempt to detect certain atmospheric makeups.

And to listen to those planets, since it makes sense to aim your listening devices where the greatest potential for life exists.

Until the time comes when they are able to definitively state, "Yes, we think we're somewhat certain of where life might seriously exist," they're not going to send craft and/or probes out aimlessly into the cosmos.

Although....we did.....

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

The question is would these other life forms live in the same atmosphere and similar conditions to us? I think there might be at least one.

I agree that it's fairly likely that some of these hypothetical races would have evolved on planets similar to ours.

Are these life forms more advanced than us? They may be, and if they are and have similar living conditions, they may be looking for a planet similar to theirs which would be ours.

This is something people often bring up: The idea of a planet-hunting race. Even Stephen Hawking suggested that they may be seeking a planet like ours for, I don't know, resources I guess. But this seems unlikely to me, at least for a highly advanced species. At some point it stands to reason that a species would no longer have to rely on rare life-supporting planets like Earth for their existence, and could learn to live in artificial habitats and use the abundant resources of non-terrestrial planets or even stars.

If they did find our world amongst the many, many others, how long would a signal they sent take to reach us? Would we be able to receive this signal, perhaps there technology is different and there signal would not be able to be picked up by our equipment. When we are looking for signals, we are assuming that they would have developed along a similar technological path as us and therefore at one time had the same signals being used as we have, but it is possible that we are wrong.

Right... and it is in fact likely that we are wrong. People like SETI always assume that we would be able to find an alien species by their rogue television or radio signals. But after only a hundred years of radio use, our OWN television and radio signals are now fading away, as they become replaced by superior technology (digital transmission). The possibility that an alien race might only transmit detectable signals for a hundred years, combined with the fact that such signals become almost impossible to detect over large interstellar distances, severely decreases the odds that something like SETI might actually pick up those signals.

Before sending a craft full of their life forms, wouldn’t they send a probe first to identify this planet to see if their was indeed life here, but how long would it take their probe to reach us, is it possible that by the time it got here there might have been so much time that they may have even forgotten about it, even if it has FTL travel speeds, unless they have some kind of instant long range communications, wouldn’t it take some time to get their signals returned to them by the device?

I agree that an intelligent race would probably send an artificial device before they risked their own lives. But you are assuming that a faster-than-light craft would use light to send signals. If an alien race had indeed mastered some form of FTL travel (which they would almost have to in order to visit us), then it's reasonable to think that they could use similar technology to send signals. If you can send a probe faster than light, rest assured you can send informational data faster than light.

How long would it take for the craft to get here? Even if they had a fast way of traveling depending on where they are coming from, it still could take generations to get here.

We are talking about a completely hypothetical form of transportation through time and space. From our perspective it is just as likely that FTL travel would be instantaneous as it is that it would take generations. And even if one type of FTL travel took generations, is it not reasonable to assume that over another thousand or million years' time, that species would improve this technology and significantly reduce the speed of travel?

Let’s say that the planet had made advancements since they left and that their return was eagerly awaited, they would have to go over the research before sending any more “manned” missions.

No doubt. The examination of an alien race would be a fantastic scientific opportunity.

Even if their first craft came here when we were cave men, by the time their next craft came, we could have been well into the Renaissance age here on earth.

Again, you're making conclusions about a completely hypothetical technology, in a completely hypothetical scenario. There is little or no reason to assume it would take this long.

If they were able to move fast for them through space (a couple years at most to people aboard the craft), the two worlds they would be going between would be advancing at their normal rate which would seem an accelerated rate to the people on the craft. Thus between appearances on earth, there would be large gaps.

Yes... this is what relativity suggests. But relativity also suggests that FTL travel is impossible. You cannot reach a conclusion about how long it would take to travel between stars faster than light, using the same theory that states that you cannot travel between stars faster than light. Many scientists would love to believe that we already understand the nature of time and space, but we are only scratching the surface. If a species has discovered FTL travel then it is difficult to say what effect this might have on relative measurements of time and space.

Though this theory does allow for aliens to visit earth, it far limits how many true sightings that might be viewed.

I am basing this off of how we on earth would more than likely proceed if we found a viable planet like earth to study.

I agree with a lot of what you've said, but I don't think travel time would necessarily be the primary limiting factor in the number of races visiting Earth. It could simply be the likelihood of an intelligent species developing a culture which sustains advanced technological development. In any case it's all hypothetical anyway.

But I will say this: the Universe had been around for billions of years before Earth even existed. That means it is possible, and I would even say probable, that an intelligent species has existed somewhere for millions or even billions of years longer than us. After developing technology for that much time, I suspect that traveling to a distant planet and observing it, while staying largely out of sight of its primitive inhabitants, would be as easy as flying to the Safari to watch the lions.

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   

How would Aliens go about finding our planet?
Garmin space-version9.5
It comes with all the latest in celestial maps

[edit on 22-7-2010 by Lil Drummerboy]

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by monguzi

Are you talking about the paintings from artists that look similar to the "greys" or the images drawn that represent what the witnesses and abductees say they saw?

posted on Jul, 22 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Possible, but unlikely. Any advanced race that detected our world would be able to tell if the world harbored life. We are on the verge of being able to do this ourselves. Life changes a world in dramatic ways; intelligent, industrial-capable life even more so. These changes are detectable from afar.

Of course, they may want to come for a closer look. But would it necessarily be a hands-on look? It follows that any species advanced enough to reach Earth would be advanced enough to monitor us from a safe distance. Doubtful they would need to enter our atmosphere, unless for special circumstances. They could collect specimens for further study, but I doubt this would account for the abduction phenomenon; any species advanced enough to come here (and advanced enough to splice our genes together to make a hybrid) would not need an on going specimen collection program.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join