It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apollo moon rocket to get face-lift in Texas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 06:03 AM
link   
With many eyes currently focused on NASA after the recent announcements related to future space exploration, it is interesting to note that the nation also has it's eyes firmly fixed on past glories.

"There's a lot of biology growing on there," he said, pointing out streaks of algae staining the rocket's white skin.

Needell said the Smithsonian was preserving the Saturn V because it was one of only three Apollo rockets still in existence and therefore an important artefact of mid-20th century life.

www.reuters.co.uk...

The Smithsonian Institute is planning to spend $4 million in government grants, and is also looking for $750,000 in private donations to assist with the endeavour.

Just how wise is it to spend huge sums of money on relics of the past when we can't even agree on a vision for the future?

[edit - linked to source]

[edit on 6/17/2004 by illimey]

[edit on 17-6-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Jun, 17 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Rembering where you have been is just as important as where you are going.

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simcity4Rushour

Memories can be had for free. 4+ million bucks to clean up a piece of metal seems a bit much...

E_T

posted on Jun, 18 2004 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simcity4Rushour

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Memories can be had for free. 4+ million bucks to clean up a piece of metal seems a bit much...

I'd have to agree... Give me one million, and a plane ticket, and I'll frickin' spit shine the damn thing!!!

new topics

top topics

join