It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Serbian PM assassinated

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Would particularly be interested in hearing from Europeans on this. The "gunmen" (plural assassins) and possible previous attempt indicate to my mind that there was an organized conspiracy.

Just what the region needed... government by assassination. I wonder if we'll see another outbreak of "ethnic cleansing" there.

"Serbian Prime Minister Is Assassinated
By DUSAN STOJANOVIC, Associated Press Writer

BELGRADE, Serbia-Montenegro - Serbian Prime Minister Zoran Djindjic 󠷨o spearheaded the revolt that toppled former President Slobodan Milosevic (news - web sites) in October 2000 󠷡s assassinated Wednesday by gunmen who ambushed him outside the government complex. "

story.news.yahoo.com... ory2&cid=518&e=2&u=/ap/20030312/ap_on_re_eu/serbia_assassination

[Mod Edit] Old thread; adding external source coding.

[edit on 6-2-2008 by MemoryShock]

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Glad you broke it, Byrd - it' been running for an hour or so as an off-thread (Estragon to blame) under UbL in "Terrorism".
J-B made an acute but terrifying bon mot to the effect that WWI began with a Serbian assassination. Let us hope that history has at last tired of repeating itself.
At this stage for the EU; for the UN and Islam v Christianity - not to mention Milosevic - this is potentially most destructive: one would almost believe it engineered.
As recent elections elsewhere in the former Yugoslavia have shown, the political process -such as it was (remember the 100% turn out in Tito's days!!) has collapsed there. If this presages conflict: then there will be a lot of resolutions for the underworked parasites at the UN to redraft.
And a new Turkish PM coming, and Denktash getting stroppy over Cyprus: these are all little things that add up.
Expect suspicion ( though not confirmation) of Bosnian Muslim involvement.

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Though democracy is in its infancy in the Balkan's it was at least functional. With voters leaning more and more towards angry nationalist demagogues due to economic stagnation and rampent corruption (hummmm.. sounds like how Slobodan came to power no?) I fear a another rise the us v. them (christians v muslims) mentality. If this occurs it could easily spiral out of control if one of these ultra-nationalist countries manages to win control of one of the republics.

I hope the gunman's name was not Princip

posted on Mar, 12 2003 @ 03:43 PM
link   
This gets more interesting: The Serbian government is blaming the assassination on an organized crime group called the Zemun clan. A state of emergency has been declared by the Serbian president (datapoint... I thought the PM might have been the highest ruling official. He wasn't.)

Earlier reports were naming his rivals as possible originators of the hit contract. Now they're saying organized crime.

Y'know, I'm not sure which is a scarier thought!

story.news.yahoo.co... m/news?tmpl=story2&cid=564&ncid=564&e=2&u=/nm/20030312/ts_nm/serbiamontenegro_djindjic_dc_13

posted on Mar, 13 2003 @ 01:31 AM
link   
The UN, EU,USA & NATO didn't have to go in former Yougoslovia. What happened in yougoslavia started when the Kosovo/Bosnia UCK terrorists started to kill yougoslavian civilians.

UCK is just a mafia/terrorist muslim network, and we helped them !

Often, I wonder what our govrnments ( EU and USA ), want really to do. I remember how the whole occident was " happy " to bomb a Christian country ( yougoslavia ), to help a bunch of terrorist/extremist muslim ( UCK ).

posted on Mar, 13 2003 @ 01:46 AM
link   
It's going to get very messy

maybe im not making much sense now, but the posts that you wrote are very true........informative

Holy War might be an outcome .......Christians vs

sorry, but im not much into the political side of things>>>

posted on Mar, 13 2003 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ultra_phoenix
The UN, EU,USA & NATO didn't have to go in former Yougoslovia. What happened in yougoslavia started when the Kosovo/Bosnia UCK terrorists started to kill yougoslavian civilians.

UCK is just a mafia/terrorist muslim network, and we helped them !

Often, I wonder what our govrnments ( EU and USA ), want really to do. I remember how the whole occident was " happy " to bomb a Christian country ( yougoslavia ), to help a bunch of terrorist/extremist muslim ( UCK ).

Umm UP.. I suggest that you read a few books about the conflict that happened on your backporch. I am not saying that the UCK is innocent, far from it actually, it is a deliciously vicious organization. But Milosevic on the other hand was a ruthless ruler who whipped up ultr-nationalistic sentiment for the sake of hiding his ineptitude as a ruler. His constant use of the "Serbian Martyr"* symbolism encompassed in his insecent use of the idylic Kosovo Polje was a mask for the use of wanton violence on the muslim majority in Kosovo. He tricked the Serbs into thinking that obtaining complete control of Kosovo (the "heart of Serbian civilization) was a bigger priority than rooting out organized crime from the government or from focusing on the economy. There were few "good guys" in the Bosnia, Croat or Kosovar wars. So don't place all the blame on "the muslims" because you would be way off in doing so. I bet you also believe in the "Armenian Massacres" of WWI don't you?

*quick history lesson (hey, it's what I do.. sue me). The Serbian Martyr syndrome comes from Serbia's idea that they saved the West from the Terror of the Turks (Ottoman Empire) at the battle of Kosovo Polje in 1389. While they did hold back the Ottoman tide they claim much more credit than they actually deserve plus the battle of Kosovo Polje was the end of the Serbian Kingdom as they were descimated by the Turks.

I'm done with my rant.

[Edited on 13-3-2003 by observer]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Hi/

An old thread, but worthy to be brought up since the Balkans is making a come back.

Rewarding terrorism, deception in Kosovo

By Andy Wilcoxson © 2008

Eight years ago, the United States and its NATO allies bombed Serbia to rescue the ethnic Albanian population from genocide at the hands of Serbian troops loyal to Slobodan Milosevic in the southern Serbian province of Kosovo – or so we were told. During the NATO campaign, the State Department told us 100,000 to 500,000 Kosovo-Albanians were missing and feared dead.
State Department spokesman James Rubin warned us of "indicators that genocide is unfolding in Kosovo." President Clinton compared Kosovo to Nazi Germany's Holocaust against the Jews.
He said Serbia's alleged persecution of Kosovo's ethnic Albanians, like "the ethnic extermination of the Holocaust," was a "vicious, premeditated, systematic oppression fueled by religious and ethnic hatred."

read more

IX
helen

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by observer

You don't understand UP's position. He's not bad with history. He just think that it's okay to kill lots and lots of Muslims for the sole crime of being Muslim.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Just realised old news story

[edit on 6/2/2008 by VIKINGANT]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by VIKINGANT
Sorry Byrd,
I cant find this article on the link provided or anywhere else on the net....I am not saying this is incorrect info but I want to see more about it.
It is big news if it is the case. All I can find recently is his want (and rightly so IMO) to delay or possibly stop the Kosovo independance (which for some would justify the assasination)

Hi/

Just to let you know, it may be my fault,as I didn't make a note that this was posted awhile back!
but this was posted on
''posted on 3/12/2003 @ 07:45 AM
BREAKING NEWS: Serbian PM assassinated
So it may not be in the current news!
Alot of the old stuff news seem to disappear!
helen

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Thanks Helen. Just realised. having said that though. It could well be imminent with the Kosovo Independance thing looming....Watch this space as they say

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by VIKINGANT

''Watch this space as they say''
Very true!
Sometimes, old news may be worthy news!

IX
helen

new topics

top topics

join